Dinner menus

vent1020

I'm asking this question because of the million posts I have read on here, I don't think I have ever seen it discussed.

Is there anyway to know what the menu in the MDR's will be for the entire week of a 7 day cruise? I'm sure the chef has to know what he will be making for the entire week. I ask because I want to eat at a specialty restaurant or two, but don't want to schedule it for a night when the food in the MDR might be something I like. I'd rather book it for a night that they are making something I don't care for.

So does anyone know once on ship(or before) how to find out what will be served each night? We are in a suite if that makes a difference(like contacting the per-concierge to have them find out, if that is an option)

Once upon a time, you could go to the Guest Services Desk and ask to see the dinner menus for the entire cruise. They kept them in a binder and they would just hand you the binder and you could peruse them. I used to do this on every cruise in order to plan my dinners accordingly. Then, they stopped making the menus available in such a way, at least on my last 5 or 6 NCL cruises. I'm hoping that if we keep asking for it, they might resume providing it. Since you're in a suite, it's possible that you might receive better treatment by placing a special request for the menus through the concierge. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

The problem is that there are 14 dinner menus (though I thought I'd there would possibly be 21). They don't necessarily go straight in order - meaning they might skip one or not even start at menu one.

As far as finding out on the ship, the menus for dinner for the MDRs are posted outside each one after lunch time. I don't know if that night's menu would be available at the front desk or not, but you could always ask.

Thanks. I've already planned on just checking the menu once it's posted each day and then deciding to see if we can get in Le Bistro or wherever we want to go that night if we don't like the menu. I'm a planner so was just hoping to do it sooner if possible.

The problem is that there are 14 dinner menus (though I thought I'd there would possibly be 21). They don't necessarily go straight in order - meaning they might skip one or not even start at menu one.

As far as finding out on the ship, the menus for dinner for the MDRs are posted outside each one after lunch time. I don't know if that night's menu would be available at the front desk or not, but you could always ask.

Follow up question since you mentioned their being 14 dinner menus. Do the two MDR's on the ships each have a different menu each night or they the same menu for both dining rooms? Thanks.

Follow up question since you mentioned their being 14 dinner menus. Do the two MDR's on the ships each have a different menu each night or they the same menu for both dining rooms? Thanks.

The menus are ALMOST identical but if you look closely, you'll see some differences. For example, one will have a ribeye and the other a strip steak on the always available side of the menu. It seems there was maybe a dessert difference - but something as simple as the flavor of ice cream. I usually check them both just because.

You can view an MDR menu for any day of the week from your stateroom TV or on the iConcierge app. When you select the dining room and then menu, you'll then select the day, with all seven being available.

Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

You can view an MDR menu for any day of the week from your stateroom TV or on the iConcierge app. When you select the dining room and then menu, you'll then select the day, with all seven being available.

I've never seen this before - are you sure it's available on all ships?

We were able to do this on the Epic, but I don't believe it is available on all the ships. According to the info I have on iConcierge, the app is only available for Epic, Getaway, Breakaway, Pearl & Jewel.

I am a planner also. I would go down to the desk that has all the specialty resturant menus (also you can make your reservation there) I would ask for MDR menu, then make my decision. Never had a problem booking. We have had suite last two cruises, but I still just made our reservation then.

Last cruise we had 10 in our group and was able to book the Asian resturant nearly last minute.

This being said we do eat early. By 6:30. This might make a difference.

I am a planner also. I would go down to the desk that has all the specialty resturant menus (also you can make your reservation there) I would ask for MDR menu, then make my decision. Never had a problem booking. We have had suite last two cruises, but I still just made our reservation then.

Last cruise we had 10 in our group and was able to book the Asian resturant nearly last minute.

This being said we do eat early. By 6:30. This might make a difference.

We also eat early and have 13 in our group in 5 different suites.(Family get together)

The menus are ALMOST identical but if you look closely, you'll see some differences. For example, one will have a ribeye and the other a strip steak on the always available side of the menu. It seems there was maybe a dessert difference - but something as simple as the flavor of ice cream. I usually check them both just because.

The newest menus (introduced this year) no longer have an "every day" side and a side for the dishes du jour.

Edited by njhorseman

We have asked the butler for a copy of the menus for the entire cruise and he brought them later that same day. You're in a suite, so you'd have a butler and he/she could possibly do the same thing for you, if you're interested.

The newest menus (introduced this year) no longer have an "every day" side and a side for the dishes du jour.

Are there still items they serve every day though, but just list it on the menu with the other items that change daily? Or is there nothing specific served every day anymore?

Are there still items they serve every day though, but just list it on the menu with the other items that change daily? Or is there nothing specific served every day anymore?

Yes, there is still an always available section for Entrees, it's just set out differently.

I believe that, on most ships, the menus are now the same in both of the MDRs. That may not be the case on the Breakaway and Getaway (where there are three MDRs and I've heard reports that Taste and Savor have a different menu to the aft room).

If you want to see some of the new menus, I posted some of them on this thread.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2047989

Thank you, I just looked through the thread. The new menus look fantastic! I better lose 20 pounds between now and July just to break even after my cruise on the Breakaway! Chocolate volcano every night for sure...with another one of the rotating desserts...or 2!! ;)

With those new menus, it will be tough to go to Le Bistro one night and Cagney's another night instead of the MDR...but I guess I could live with it, lol. I will surely eat less food at both of those than I will in the MDR at dinner with those appetizers and desserts alone! :)

We have asked the butler for a copy of the menus for the entire cruise and he brought them later that same day. You're in a suite, so you'd have a butler and he/she could possibly do the same thing for you, if you're interested.

Thanks. We'll probably do that.

We asked our butler a few weeks ago and he brought a book of them, and told us which pages to look at. They're kind of unwieldy (basically the size that's posted on the wall outside the restaurants) but we were able to identify which evenings looked better than others.

There was no television option on the Dawn.

Edited by DaisyGoldberg

Since we are talking dining...I posted this ? a few days ago, but no response. Is the main dining room open for breakfast and lunch everyday? And is there a pool bbq for burgers etc? Thanks

The pool bbq probably depends on the ship. There were hamburgers/hotdogs on the buffet on Breakaway but no poolside bbq's. I only remember because my dh missed it and mentioned it several times. There will be one main dining room open for breakfast and lunch daily (but only on sea days for lunch). I believe there are only two variations on the lunch menus. We found them to be too time-consuming for the most part, especially breakfast. It was much simpler and faster to have bkft at the buffet. On Breakaway they even offered eggs benedict on the buffet.