One way flight to Rome

cruise2relax

Hello fellow cruisers -

I have always received great advice on these boards (and hopefully given some). We are planning a transatlantic crossing next fall which requires a one way flight from NYC to Rome. We did a transatlantic last year from Copenhagen and found very affordable one way non-stop fares on Norwegian Air, which we liked a lot the way.

Any suggestions on airlines to watch for reasonable prices? All the US carriers charge double for one way fares.

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

Hello fellow cruisers -

I have always received great advice on these boards (and hopefully given some). We are planning a transatlantic crossing next fall which requires a one way flight from NYC to Rome. We did a transatlantic last year from Copenhagen and found very affordable one way non-stop fares on Norwegian Air, which we liked a lot the way.

Any suggestions on airlines to watch for reasonable prices? All the US carriers charge double for one way fares.

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

Have you gotten a quote from the cruise line? Sometimes that's the best in this case.

I haven't found that one-way fares are quite so bad as they used to be. What gateway would you be flying from? Any chance of a reward flight with points?

• 4 weeks later...

I have used the cruise line air and gotten really cheap fares. Also if you have an extra couple of days look at flying into Milan from NYC. Last year for us it was $200 each less than Rome and the train from Milan was only €39 each and we got to see more of Italy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With one way fares you sometimes need to think a bit out of the box. There are some European airlines such as Air Berlin and Aer Lingus that do have decent 1 way fares (usually 1/2 of round trip) to FCO...from the NYC area. The only downside is that these airlines will require a change of planes in places like Dublin or Dusseldorf. But even this can be turned into a real plus. For example, if you fly Aer Lingus you are permitted a stopover (I think it might be up to 10 days) in Ireland. Use Air Berlin and you could do a multi day stopover in Germany. We have actually taken advantage of the Aer Lingus to spend 2 weeks in Ireland...while our final destination was Barcelona (for a cruise). In fact, it is even possible to do a stopover in Moscow if you chose to use Aeroflot. Lots of options :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I fly to Europe pretty frequently, you can get pretty creative with flights. Find a cheap fare into any European city, maybe find one you'd like to see for a day or two, then book a flight that takes you from that city to Rome. Best bet for intra-Europe flights are the many budget airlines, I've used Ryan Air, Easy jet, Jetairfly, Transavia, Wizzair. These are like Southwest where you can only book directly through their website and they're cheap! Flew from Brussels to Venice last time for $50 and that included tax, a presreserved seat and a 20kg checked bag, though you pay for those things ala carte, $50 was the total. Also, Rome has two airports, most flights especially international go into Fiumicino (FCO) but you may find flights originating within Europe that go into Ciampino (CIA).

As someone already stated FF mile redemption are priced one way. American Airlines has sales on miles purchases from time to time, which can work our much cheaper than buying a one way flight. I recently bought about 100,000 miles for around $2K. While $1K for each ticket sounds high, for one stop business class from Asia, it's a great price. I only had a little over 20,000 miles in my account prior to that purchase. I then used 120,000 miles for two one way business class tickets from Seoul. And, because I had a Citi AA card, 10% of the miles redeemed went back into my FF account.

United also has miles purchase sales, but I haven't looped into when they do them ...AA sends me emails for their sales.

Edited by buggins0402