Choosing codeshare - any issues?

Freckles_51

Looking at YYZ-MCO flights operated by WestJet, booked through AA for better pricing.

I'm not a frequent flyer, could not care less about points, upgrades etc.

All I care about is getting to my cruise port :p

What issues, if any, might I encounter by booking through AA instead of WestJet?

Looking at YYZ-MCO flights operated by WestJet, booked through AA for better pricing.

What issues, if any, might I encounter by booking through AA instead of WestJet?

You probably won't get seat selection until you check in online. I personally don't care for code-shares. I've have been bumped off code share more often booking with the primary carrier , in your case Westjet.

Codeshares are common these days. Very common. There is no real difference. These type of pricing differences happen all the time. I would go with who ever is cheaper.

Codeshares are common these days. Very common. There is no real difference. These type of pricing differences happen all the time. I would go with who ever is cheaper.
That's not the experience of frequent flyers. You're still more likely to find glitches if you're not flying on the prime flight number. Sometimes, things don't get properly communicated between airlines. Commonly, seat allocations don't work. Check-in agents get confused when they can't find the flight. Frequent flyer credit doesn't post automatically, or has to be chased (or maybe the codeshare flight number doesn't qualify for any credit at all - to the passenger's unpleasant surprise). And - the worst - you have a ticket and a reservation from the codeshare airline, but the operating airline has no record of it and the flight is full.

Most of the time, it all works fine. But there is a distinct risk. But hey, if "cheaper" is the only consideration ...

Most of the time, it all works fine. But there is a distinct risk. But hey, if "cheaper" is the only consideration ...

For me, cheaper is not the only consideration, that's why I asked the question in the first place, I will pay more if there is good reason to do so, but if it's all the same then sure, I will pay the lesser amount ;)

AA was not one heck of a lot cheaper so decided to book with WestJet, only to find by that time the prices had jumped up, WAY up, booked thru either airline :(

I could save about $125 pp (last time I checked :p) by going with Air Transat, don't know why but I don't feel great about that airline, not that I've had any issues with them in the past, but the savings would pay for the overnight hotel. Anyone like to comment on using Air Transat?

A couple things to remember when on codeshares:

1) Get the record locator for the computer system used by the OPERATING carrier. Have had itineraries with four different locators (on four different airlines).

2) Have the 13 digit e-ticket number (which is different than the locator and is appropriate for all carriers).

3) Keep all boarding passes until the FF miles post. Without them, getting credit can be difficult to impossible.

4) Utilizing the locator and/or ticket number, go directly to the operating carrier's website. If possible, do any seat selection there. Also, verify that you can access your flight record - if you can't see it, it's possible the airline itself doesn't have it. Then worth the followup phone call.

5) Remember that you check-in at the operating carrier's airport counter, not the counter of the marketing carrier.

For me, cheaper is not the only consideration, that's why I asked the question in the first place, I will pay more if there is good reason to do so, but if it's all the same then sure, I will pay the lesser amount ;)

AA was not one heck of a lot cheaper so decided to book with WestJet, only to find by that time the prices had jumped up, WAY up, booked thru either airline :(

I could save about $125 pp (last time I checked :p) by going with Air Transat, don't know why but I don't feel great about that airline, not that I've had any issues with them in the past, but the savings would pay for the overnight hotel. Anyone like to comment on using Air Transat?

We flew with Air Transat from Montreal to Nice last fall and found Air Transat great to deal with. I had first booked the flight paying more for our tickets (like business class seats) and then changed my mind. I found out that the flight might not be full so we would have more room in the cheaper section. Air Transat changed my booking with no problem or cost. They credited my credit card $920 with no problem at all. The flight was about 1/2 full so we had plenty of room to stretch out. The service was good as well. No complaints and would definitely book with them again (as we have in the past).

A couple things to remember when on codeshares:

1) Get the record locator for the computer system used by the OPERATING carrier. Have had itineraries with four different locators (on four different airlines).

2) Have the 13 digit e-ticket number (which is different than the locator and is appropriate for all carriers).

3) Keep all boarding passes until the FF miles post. Without them, getting credit can be difficult to impossible.

4) Utilizing the locator and/or ticket number, go directly to the operating carrier's website. If possible, do any seat selection there. Also, verify that you can access your flight record - if you can't see it, it's possible the airline itself doesn't have it. Then worth the followup phone call.

5) Remember that you check-in at the operating carrier's airport counter, not the counter of the marketing carrier.

Great tips, thank you.

And thanks to others for your replies. :)

• 2 weeks later...
That incident with Air Transat when they ran out of fuel was because of faulty matienance. So go with a airline with good matienance.
Can you help us with identifying an airline which has managed never to suffer a maintenance oops of this kind?

I've used Air Transat in the past without issues, even on transatlantic flights. DS flew Air Transat last month YYZ - FLL (on my suggestion) and had no issues. They flew in on embarkation day (not my suggestion) and made it to their cruise leaving from PoM with their baggage with plenty of time to spare.

Personally, I prefer to book with the originating airline, fewer opportunities for things to go wrong.

We just flew with Westjet out of YYZ, Westjet was awesome flying out of T3 in Toronto not so much I think from now on we're just going to fly out of Buffalo easier and much simpler.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone like to comment on using Air Transat?
I remembered this thread when I got an email from a family member who's just flown over to Europe on Air Transat. For context, this is an infrequent flyer who was delighted to be given some free food on board an overnight flight (sandwiches). He said: sardine seating, narrow aisles, wide as the food trolleys and not a centimetre more. This was a 9-abreast A330, so other aircraft types may offer a different experience.

I remembered this thread when I got an email from a family member who's just flown over to Europe on Air Transat. For context, this is an infrequent flyer who was delighted to be given some free food on board an overnight flight (sandwiches). He said: sardine seating, narrow aisles, wide as the food trolleys and not a centimetre more. This was a 9-abreast A330, so other aircraft types may offer a different experience.

Thanks for thinking of this thread.

Being an infrequent flyer and always in the cheap seats :o I thought all planes were like that. Small seats and not much leg room does not bother me too much because I am a small person both in width and height :D

I did use Air Transat to England some years ago, and the flight home was excellent.....I was upgraded to Club Class :D :p