another tipping question

paphosbabe

What is reasonable? Nothing more than what you pre-paid

Having said that, if you just want to be generous or the cabin is a freakin disaster every morning, then additional tip would probably be appreciated.

A $50 spot at the end should suffice

Please don't go with calling cards or John Deere Tractor hats.

There were crew members on my recent cruise who had better cell phones than me. They also have free wifi access to make wifi calls home or FaceTime home.

Edited by klfrodo

I would only ever tip for good service I know we have pre-paid and we are not wealthy as it has taken us sometime to save for this special cruise but was not sure if they stood and waited to be tipped as I have come across in some places.

I will do as you suggest and tip at the end.

Everybody has a better cell phone than me lol.

Many thanks

I would only ever tip for good service I know we have pre-paid and we are not wealthy as it has taken us sometime to save for this special cruise but was not sure if they stood and waited to be tipped as I have come across in some places.

Many thanks

There is absolutely NO reason to tip extra. You have already paid your gratuities. Only do so, if you feel your cabin steward has gone beyond the call of duty. (which was only once with us).

There is NO obligation to tip extra and they do not expect it.

If however, you feel your steward and or waiter has served you well then anything extra will be much appreciated. And always at the end of the cruise.

I once tipped a Madagascan steward who was in his late fifties a hundred bucks - maybe a week's wages - yet on other voyages I have left nothing more than my pre-paid gratuities.

Edited by Bollinge

Many thanks

No, they won't stand around waiting. On my last cruise I was solo and stayed in a studio cabin. I left my steward a little extra. I just wrote him a note and left it on the desk in my cabin before I left with my luggage. It's typically $10 to $20. I haven't done traditional dining in years, so don't have the same wait staff throughout the cruise and haven't tipped extra there for a long time.

When I was married and we took the kids and got them their own room, I would tip the girl's steward $20 at the beginning of the cruise (only time I've ever tipped at the beginning) along with a warning that their room would likely be a little more cluttered than he was used to. :D He then received an addition $40 at the end of the cruise. I wasn't as generous with my then-husband's and my steward. ;)

Your PRE-PAID grats. go to your cabin attendant. No worries! No other tips are needed! Part of those pre-paid grats cover: cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters, head waiter and assorted behind the scenes folks.

You're good to go if you've prepaid!

We have pre-paid grats but will probably tip the room attendants would I do this daily or at the end/start of the cruise and what is reasonable don't want to insult anyone.

For folks who tip extra, the norm is usually at the end of the cruise.

The amount would depend on your budget and how good the steward was. We've had one steward that we did not tip extra at all. But most of our stewards we've tipped $3-$5 per day at end of the cruise. Our budget is inside cabin.

Edited by NMLady

We have pre-paid grats but will probably tip the room attendants would I do this daily or at the end/start of the cruise and what is reasonable don't want to insult anyone.

Entirely up to you on both counts.

we are about to set sail and tips are really the only other thing i need to figure out. i honestly dont know if we prepaid or not (our trip was put together by some friends who used an agent).

however, my big question is tipping at the beginning of the cruise. i read a lot on here that most people dont do that. i was thinking about giving our steward a tip on day one figuring that would entice maybe a little better attention. am i wrong? i do the same at bars, give a big tip up front to the bartender and i almost always get taken care of and just figured it would work the same way on the cruise?

we are about to set sail and tips are really the only other thing i need to figure out. i honestly dont know if we prepaid or not (our trip was put together by some friends who used an agent).

i was thinking about giving our steward a tip on day one figuring that would entice maybe a little better attention. am i wrong? QUOTE]

yes

I also heard that rumor and tried it out in my early stages of cruising. Did not affect the service I received in any way.

Now the bartenders on the other hand,, I find an additional $1 added to the bill in the beginning does provide a bigger smile and faster service next time they see you.

First, you can check to see if you prepaid your gratuities by looking at the notice you received from your TA that outlines your costs for the cruise. If you prepaid, they'll be listed there. Or, just ask.

To me, tipping at a bar is completely different that tipping on a cruise ship. It's not uncommon to tip a bartender up front. I've done that as well. But, that's a buck or two. I wouldn't tip my waitress ahead of time nor my taxi driver nor my steward on a cruise ship. You do that if you want, but, you won't get any better service. I've never tipped at the beginning of a cruise and with only one exception I've always, always gotten excellent service.

First, you can check to see if you prepaid your gratuities by looking at the notice you received from your TA that outlines your costs for the cruise. If you prepaid, they'll be listed there. Or, just ask.

To me, tipping at a bar is completely different that tipping on a cruise ship. It's not uncommon to tip a bartender up front. I've done that as well. But, that's a buck or two. I wouldn't tip my waitress ahead of time nor my taxi driver nor my steward on a cruise ship. You do that if you want, but, you won't get any better service. I've never tipped at the beginning of a cruise and with only one exception I've always, always gotten excellent service.

Agree with everything you said. Just wanted to add one thing. I have read over and over again on CC (all different cruise lines), "I tip $$$ at the beginning of the cruise and I get AMAZING service. Above and beyond". Okay. Wonderful. How would you know if you would not receive the SAME service if you did NOT give him the $$$ ???

There are:

Great stewards

So So stewards

Not so great stewards

and my favorite: The Ghost Steward. (never see him, but everything is perfect).

I have never had a bad steward and have always received impeccable service.