is galveston that bad?

morganboys

is sailing out of Galveston that bad sailing out of that there are so few responses to peoples posts? Im considering a cheap 5 day on the carnival magic in February but not having much luck finding info here are on the boards. will be flying into IAH and need a rental car. Is Enterprise the only drop off location on the island? do any rental car agencies have port shuttles and do they have shuttles back to their lots post cruise?

At the present time only Enterprise is on the island. They close at noon on Saturday, not open on Sunday.

Sometime it is just good to rent a car for a week if you can get a cheap rate, keep it at the hotel and enjoy the island a few days pre and post cruise.

As far as I know, no rental car agencies have shuttles to either Port of Houston or Galveston.

There are cruise line transfers, limo and cab services with cars, vans and buses.

And there are rental car services.

Just like any other port city in the world,

Some attributes are better and some worse.

Hobby Airport is 30 to 40 minutes from Galveston.

IAH Bush is 1 to 11/2 hour away.

Attitude when traveling anytime anywhere in the world is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure,

Galveston is wonderful to most!

Edited by ssb

So few responses?? :confused:

are you scrolling down a reading the dozens of posts in this section about Houston/Galveston? Just about every question you could have on the Houston/Galveston area as far as flights/transfers/hotels/things to do etc etc etc has been answered many many times over. Just take the time to scan down and read some of the threads

Sailed out of Galveston many times. I prefer going out of Galveston to a number of other ports we've been through.

We have cruised out of Galveston a few times. It's a long drive to get there, but it sure beats flying!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Galveston is a drive-to port for us so transportation is not an issue, but Galveston is as good as any of the six ports that we have cruised from, as far as getting on and off the ship. Parking is certainly not an issue. We have used Lighthouse and ParkNCruise and they are both good.

We have always cruised CCL out of Galveston so we have always embarked from the larger of the two terminals. In three weeks we are sailing on RCCL out of the smaller terminal, so I hope my thoughts are still the same after that cruise.

Galveston is a drive-to port for us so transportation is not an issue, but Galveston is as good as any of the six ports that we have cruised from, as far as getting on and off the ship. Parking is certainly not an issue. We have used Lighthouse and ParkNCruise and they are both good.

We have always cruised CCL out of Galveston so we have always embarked from the larger of the two terminals. In three weeks we are sailing on RCCL out of the smaller terminal, so I hope my thoughts are still the same after that cruise.

I've read a lot of complaints about the "smaller" terminal that RCCL uses. Other than being fogged in one year we've never encountered major delays disembarking in Galveston.

Flying in to Houston (Hobby) on November 8 and staying at the Comfort Suites. Was having a hard time figuring out what to do the day before our cruise and the transportation issues until I put in a bid on price line . com for a rental car (full size) and got it for $26 total for the day! Pick it up at the airport on Sat. and return it to the airport on Sunday and then take Carnival's shuttle to Galveston. Makes me real happy!

Now I've just gotta figure out what we are gonna do the afternoon of the 8th. We have a large sailboat so we may drive to Kehma (sp) and see that area. I hear there's a bike race on Galveston that weekend.

is sailing out of Galveston that bad sailing out of that there are so few responses to peoples posts? Im considering a cheap 5 day on the carnival magic in February but not having much luck finding info here are on the boards. will be flying into IAH and need a rental car. Is Enterprise the only drop off location on the island? do any rental car agencies have port shuttles and do they have shuttles back to their lots post cruise?

We took a car from IAH to hotel on Galveston Beach and then a cab to port and a car back to airport. May not be the cheapest way, but would not have wanted the hassle of a rental car plus Carnival has transportation back to airport from port and I do not believe it was that expensive. We liked our hotel, walked to restaurants down on beach and enjoyed relaxing. I do not believe Galveston proper is much to see.

Not exactly a "bike race".

That weekend is the Lone Star Bike Rally - the largest motorcycle rally in Texas, probably second only to Sturgis.

Over 500,000 enthusiasts will be on the island Thursday to Sunday.

Not only are most all accommodations booked, rates are high and majority have a 3 night minimum stay requirement.

Taking the shuttle is an excellent idea:)

Flying in to Houston (Hobby) on November 8 and staying at the Comfort Suites. Was having a hard time figuring out what to do the day before our cruise and the transportation issues until I put in a bid on price line . com for a rental car (full size) and got it for $26 total for the day! Pick it up at the airport on Sat. and return it to the airport on Sunday and then take Carnival's shuttle to Galveston. Makes me real happy!

Now I've just gotta figure out what we are gonna do the afternoon of the 8th. We have a large sailboat so we may drive to Kehma (sp) and see that area. I hear there's a bike race on Galveston that weekend.

That thursday thru sunday is the lonestar rally. I think the second largest motorcycle rally in the nation. I would not attempt to get close to galveston friday or saturday unless into motorcycles and then before noonish. Sunday is wound down but still will be an increase of bikes altho most will be outbound. Also thinking Kemah etc will be packed friday and saturday with overflow bikes.

my 02

michael

I had to to make sure there wasn't a 0 added! That's amazing.

Yes it is for an island as small as Galveston Island. And the crowd gets bigger and NOISIER each year. Friends tried to have a backyard BBQ that weekend last year. Needless to say, it became an inside BBQ since we could hardly hear each other talk while out in the yard.

However, as far as I am concerned, as long as the Island economy based on a Summer tourist season gets a boost in the Fall it is OK with me!

Kat emo32.gif

We just got of Navigator of the Seas yesterday. I honestly do not know why people are complaining. Our trip was to Honduras and Belize and we were warned that getting off would be an ordeal because of those stops.

Embarkation - Dropped off wife and bags...from that time I parked, walked back to her, gathered the bags, thru security, checked in, took our picture and we were on the ship in less than one hour (dropped her off at 11:00 on the dot).

Debarkation - They called our number at 10:15. Off the ship, found our bags, through customs, car retrieved and loaded, pulled out of the port at 12:02.

Exactly how much faster do you expect?

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't say it's a "bad" port. I will say that if you are not from around the area or within driving distance, transportation costs to and from the airports to Galveston can run as much as one persons cruise fare :eek:.

Because we want to have a car to use for eating out and a grocery stop, we're renting at HOU and dropping off at Texas City then taking taxi to the port.

Rental cars are extremely cheap thru Avis and Budget for a 1 day rental.

Happy sailing.

Another option:

G_20110110014546.JPG

Cruise & Stay

Shuttle to and from the Galveston Port and multiple nights of parking can cost a lot! Save that money for your vacation and stay at the La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Hobby Airport and take advantage of our Cruise, Transportation and Parking Package .

You get:

• One night of accommodations to start your trip off right
  • Round trip transportation to/from the Galveston Port for up to 4 people
  • Parking for up to 10 nights if you're driving to Houston or
  • Free airport shuttle from Houston Hobby Airport
  • Free Bright Side Breakfast®

Hotel stay is required.

This offer is only available at the:

La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Hobby Airport

8776 Airport Blvd.

Houston, TX 77061

Phone: 1-713-490-1008

Reserve this Package today!

Edited by Eeyoregon

We took a car from IAH to hotel on Galveston Beach and then a cab to port and a car back to airport. May not be the cheapest way, but would not have wanted the hassle of a rental car plus Carnival has transportation back to airport from port and I do not believe it was that expensive. We liked our hotel, walked to restaurants down on beach and enjoyed relaxing. I do not believe Galveston proper is much to see.

Galveston (proper) is a great town.

If you go to the Strand, there are shops and restaurants and all kinds of things to do. The Strand is walking distance from the pier.

Walking the Seawall is fun.

Judy