Cider on HAL NA

mactire

I have seen several lists of alchocol on the NA but cannot see Cider mentioned anywhere. Are my eyes deceiving me or do they not serve Cider?

Would you like us to look for it next week? We're always looking for projects. :D

I just got off the Veendam, and asked if they had ciders or coolers anywhere on the ship, and was always politely told "NO", but they all offered to make me a custom drink of whatever I might like. I ended up drinking a strawberry daquari, that was not a cider, but pretty good.

I haven't seen ciders on any of the cruise ships I've been on.

Do you mean sparkling cider? On my last cruise, I got this as an alternative whenever free champagne was poured, as at the Mariner's Brunch - Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Cider. I could have bought a bottle if I wanted - IIRC it was $20-$25.

Edited by bcd2010

This past summer prior to our Baltic cruise on the E-dam we called ships services to see if they would stock Sommersby for us. The response was we'll see what we can do, then no can do.

Ok.

Fast forward to the first sea day:

Surprise and delight on the ship 6 bottles of Stongbow show up in our cabin on ice. WOW!

That day at lunch in the PG Fernando and Rodel see us and say hi we hope we weren't out of line but we heard you wanted cider- and we took the liberty of putting some in your cabin. There were 6 more after that just for us.

:D

Edited by sammygoose
additional information

The person who started this post talked about it not being on "lists of alchohol" and strong bow has alchohol in it, and so that is what I was referring to - just to clarify my post. I was never offered non - alchohol cider either tho in the bars or lounges. Any kind of cider or cooler would have been really nice, but I've never found any - and I've always asked.

I just got off the Veendam, and asked if they had ciders or coolers anywhere on the ship, and was always politely told "NO", but they all offered to make me a custom drink of whatever I might like. I ended up drinking a strawberry daquari, that was not a cider, but pretty good.

I haven't seen ciders on any of the cruise ships I've been on.

Princess cruise ships carry Strongbow cider. It listed in the beer section of their menu.

I'd much rather the ships carry Rekorderlig. I find it MUCH MUCH better than Strongbow. Koppaberg would be my second choice. I find Strongbow just as bland and flat-tasting as Bulmers. There are better ciders out there.

But I have never seen cider as an option on any cruise after my first -- there was a one-time only sail-away special of hot spiced cider on the open decks. I suspect it was a nonalcoholic cider of the cloudy apple juice variety as they were giving it away to anyone who wanted a glass.

They are referring to hard cider.....a brewed beverage that is an alternative to beer (which is popular in the UK and elsewhere).

I've never seen that served on HAL ships but have seen a number of inquiries about it in the last 8+ months. I never remember anyone asking about it before on HAL/CC. Hopefully, if enough people request it, HAL will stock it.

This past summer prior to our Baltic cruise on the E-dam we called ships services to see if they would stock Sommersby for us. The response was we'll see what we can do, then no can do.

Ok.

Surprise and delight on the ship 6 bottles of Stongbow show up in our cabin on ice. WOW!

That day at lunch in the PG Fernando and Rodel see us and say hi we hope we weren't out of line but we heard you wanted cider- and we took the liberty of putting some in your cabin. There were 6 more after that just for us.

How nice! My DH would be very happy if he could get his Strongbows on the ship.:D

Ok.

That was very nice of them to stock you with something you like.

They are referring to hard cider.....a brewed beverage that is an alternative to beer (which is popular in the UK and elsewhere).

The person who started this post talked about it not being on "lists of alchohol" and strong bow has alchohol in it, and so that is what I was referring to - just to clarify my post. I was never offered non - alchohol cider either tho in the bars or lounges. Any kind of cider or cooler would have been really nice, but I've never found any - and I've always asked.

Oh, okay. As a non-drinker (due to meds I take), I didn't know this. Thank you for enlightening me - learn something new every day!

Edited by bcd2010

Last year while in Europe on the Prinsendam we tried some of the different ciders that were available in the markets there and really enjoyed them. We still had the unlimited wine policy then. However, I received some objections when I brought some aboard to consume in our room. I couldn't understand their complaint: it was like sparkling wine but less alcohol and since they didn't stock it onboard it wasn't competing with their sales. They still complained about it and acted like they were doing me a big favor to let me bring it aboard. I asked to be shown some written policy on cider but of course they had none. Kind of like in Portugal when I brought back some port wine; sometimes they called it wine and sometimes they called it hard liquor.

When we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam last summer we wanted a nice u e cold cider but were unlucky! We were told however that the crew gave it in their bar but it was not for general sale! Don't know if the batman was winding me up or not!

I love cruisin!

I really lilke hard cider and would likely buy some onboard, if it was offered. However, realistically, I doubt that HAL would ever justify offering more than one brand (that is not pricey and is widely available). Nevertheless, keep asking because it may lead to a more robust bar products selection.

I just came off the Zuiderdam this AM from our 11 day Panama and can definitely tell you Strongbow was all over the ship. I will give a short review tomorrow when I recover from the shock of it not being 80 degrees and realizing I now have to do my own dishes and laundry.

WOW Sammygoose! I would have LOVED that! I've never heard of that before.

That was very nice of them to stock you with something you like.

Yes we were very surprised that it just appeared like that with no prior notice.

Talk about personalized service- we had no idea why it had appeared and were afraid to touch it and then to have that conversation with the beverage manager Fernando in the PG that same day. He can take liberties like that all day long as far as I am concerned!

All I can advise everyone is if you want cider please call ships services about 10 days before you leave like we did and see what happens!!

Hal really went above and beyond to try and make us happy. :):):):):)

So - I just went to my booking, then clicked on "customer service" then on "ship services" which said for gift orders and dining inquiries. Is that where you got the ph # to call? I have to get this right, then I can file myself a note for my next cruise. Sammygoose - Thanks for all your help eh!;)