Kusadasi for a first timer.

Hello everyone.

and thank you for being so kind to post in this thread.

I know you post is going to be very useful to me and others.

I am looking for top ten things to do and do not miss (you can include food also)

in Kusadasi,

Thank you all.

I totally agree with Ephesus and the Terrace Houses....it was truly an amazing day. Someone on our roll call organized a private trip and it only cost around $40?? per person...less expensive than the ship's excursions. Afterwards he took us to this restaurant and we had a wonderful Turkish lunch and it was very, very good. Here are a few private tour operators.

Here are the some of them:

Tayf Tours

Ekol Travel

Meander Travel

Our group used Ekol travel. You can go to tripadvisor.com and do a search on each one.

If you don't want to see a Turkish rug demonstration you'll have to tell them that. Some tour operators are insistent upon you seeing the demonstration.

I personally would not do Kusadasi DYI...the store owners are quite pushy and are on the street begging you to shop in their stores....not a negative here...just a fact, for us anyway. We ended up going back to the ship and enjoying a few cold beers before sailaway. We were hot and tired so it was a nice way to spend some relaxing time. :D

Edited by midwestchick

We decided to book a private tour of Ephesus. I am so glad we did!!!! I had read someone's review here on Cruise Critic and they had used Ertunga Ecir. (You can search his name on the web. He sets up Turkey Private Tours.) Ertunga promptly emailed me back and recommended a wonderful guide named Kemal. We had a large Mercedes van and a driver in addition to our guide. The driver dropped us off at the entrance and picked us up at the exit. Make sure you use an official guide, because the police had set up road blocks to check credentials. (When you are in Turkey, you are not in Kansas anymore.)

For six people at much less than the ship prices, we were able to see the Virgin Mary's house, Ephesus, a Mosque, the temple of Artemis, and much more. We ate at a relaxing restaurant that Kemal recommended. There were all tour groups at the restaurant, but we got to sample Turkish food at a safe place.

I agree with a previous poster, you may not want to do Kusadasi on your own.

Here's what we did on June 9 when our Windstar boat was docked at Kusadasi:

Ephesus Deluxe—The Best

A few months ago I had booked on-line with Ephesus Deluxe a full day excursion for two people to Ephesus, Artemis, House of Virgin Mary & St. John shrine originating from Kusadasi for Monday June 9.

My wife and I were sailing on Windstar.

Ephesus Deluxe described this as a “shared” tour meaning up to 14 people could be on the excursion but that the tour was also guaranteed to run regardless of the actual number of people on the tour.

On 6/9/14 when we disembarked in Kusadasi, we were the only two people booked on the tour and Ephesus Deluxe did indeed run the excursion.

Firstly, Kudos to Ephesus Deluxe.

In fact my wife and I had an exceptional tour, transported via a private car & driver along with an expert tour guide Ceyla (pronounced J La)

Ceyla was an archeologist by training & was very familiar with all the sites visited. She had at some point dug at all of these ruins. She was highly knowledgeable & extremely personable.

The tour included a traditional Turkisk lunch at a rug cooperative ( a place in Turkey where people are trained in rug weaving) and we also managed a stop at a ceramics factory, where we purchased a number of items at a very fair price.

For anyone looking for a tour of Ephesus & the surrounding area, especially someone who might be in port for a day in Kusadasi while cruising, my highest recommendation would be for Ephesus Deluxe.

Unlike another tour operator in Santorini who accepted both my reservation & money but then reneged on running their excursion, Ephesus Deluxe made good on their commitment.

In my book, they’re the best.

Thank you again to:

Mr. Deniz Kose

General manager

http://www.ephesusdeluxe.com

Travel Agency number A- 3633

We returned to the boat around 15:30, changed into our swim suits & we then took a bus (dolmus) on the street right outside the cruise port to Ladies Beach, about a mile or so down the road. Rented sun beds + umbrella for 6 Euro, water very nice took dolmus back to ship around 18:00 ( we were in port until 20:00 that evening).

Kusadasi has a lot to offer, please enjoy when you do go.

Just returned this month from a cruise that included a stop in Kusadasi. I agree with the others that a visit to Ephesus, including the Terrace Houses, is the top thing to do. You also can visit St. John's Basilica and the Isabey Mosque in nearby Selcuk.

Unfortunately the Archaeological Museum for Ephesus in Selcuk is under construction still; a total rebuild.

We also toured with Ephesus Deluxe and they did a wonderful job at a very reasonable price.

Just got back from this port and agree that Ephesus (and do the Terrace Houses!!!) is a must. If you are Christian, the Virgin Mary's House is really something to see. Such a peaceful location. We also found the shopping in Kusadasi to be better than almost any other port on our tour.

We had a private guide booked through www.ephesusshuttle.com. I would rate him a 10 out of 10! Knowledgeable, personable and able to customize the day to our needs. We also had a driver and a Mercedes van--very comfortable. Well worth the $78 per person fee.

Just got back from this port and agree that Ephesus (and do the Terrace Houses!!!) is a must. If you are Christian, the Virgin Mary's House is really something to see. Such a peaceful location. We also found the shopping in Kusadasi to be better than almost any other port on our tour.

We had a private guide booked through www.ephesusshuttle.com. I would rate him a 10 out of 10! Knowledgeable, personable and able to customize the day to our needs. We also had a driver and a Mercedes van--very comfortable. Well worth the $78 per person fee.

I second the recommendation of the Virgin Mary's house. Our guide told us that Mary is revered in Turkey and in the Muslim faith. He kept calling her Mother Mary. It was very peaceful and cool at the shrine because it is up in the mountains a little.

We went to Mary's House, Ephesus with the Terrace Houses, St. John's Basilica and a nearby Mosque on a private tour with Ephesus Shuttle 2 weeks ago. Had a great time. Our second time using them. Returned to Kusadasi around 1 and had a fantastic and inexpensive Turkish meal at Oz Urfa a block behind the main port road and recommended by our guide. My wife, our adult son and I had a nice time wandering around the shops and had no problems. The salesmen are pushy asking you to come in but never felt unsafe. One was very honest saying "I want your money. Please come in and spend your money". We had a good laugh with him but kept our money. We found everyone very friendly. Many of the shops sell the same thing so just find one you like and check it out. Remember to negotiate, everything is overpriced, but the price drops rapidly as you walk toward the door. We also found a good store with Turkish Delight heading back to the ship where they were cutting it as we picked it out. Kusadasi is one of our favorite ports.

I am looking for top ten things to do and do not miss (you can include food also)

TEN things? That would be REALLY stretching it. Kusadasi is mainly a beach town, popular with European package tourists. You are more likely to see signs with "really English breakfast served all day" and "Bratwurst" than authentic Turkish food. Check out where the Turkish eat and go there, avoid the tourist traps like the plague.

The old centre of Kusadasi is kind of cute, but mainly shops and haggling salesmen. The other thing to do is go to the beach.

There is a very old Caravanserai directly where you exit the port. It is now a completely renovated boutique hotel.

It is worth a brief look around.

The other thing is the fortress, called Pigeon Island. We did not go there, I don't know the practicalities or if it is worth visiting.

The only real reason why cruise ships dock here is because of Ephesus. I hope your port stop is long enough to enjoy it. We had the bad luck that our port stop was shortened, we were only in town from 3 pm to 7 pm, and because of the off-season Ephesus closed early too. We decided to save Ephesus for another time, as it would leave 1 hour to rush through the site. The next time was a year later, another cruiseline, another port (Izmir), and again we were hit by a change of port times, so we still haven't see Ephesus.:mad:

Edited by UKBayern

TEN things? That would be REALLY stretching it. Kusadasi is mainly a beach town, popular with European package tourists. You are more likely to see signs with "really English breakfast served all day" and "Bratwurst" than authentic Turkish food. Check out where the Turkish eat and go there, avoid the tourist traps like the plague.

The old centre of Kusadasi is kind of cute, but mainly shops and haggling salesmen. The other thing to do is go to the beach.

There is a very old Caravanserai directly where you exit the port. It is now a completely renovated boutique hotel.

It is worth a brief look around.

The other thing is the fortress, called Pigeon Island. We did not go there, I don't know the practicalities or if it is worth visiting.

The only real reason why cruise ships dock here is because of Ephesus. I hope your port stop is long enough to enjoy it. We had the bad luck that our port stop was shortened, we were only in town from 3 pm to 7 pm, and because of the off-season Ephesus closed early too. We decided to save Ephesus for another time, as it would leave 1 hour to rush through the site. The next time was a year later, another cruiseline, another port (Izmir), and again we were hit by a change of port times, so we still haven't see Ephesus.:mad:

Definitive we will try to go to Ephesus. Thanks for a very good review and an excellent advice..

:)

Definitive we will try to go to Ephesus. Thanks for a very good review and an excellent advice..

:)

Excellent choice. You won't be sorry. I hope you report back on this same port once you've visited. The above poster is correct about the shops in port....they came out on the street and tried to lure us into their stores....I did not buy one thing. We headed back to the ship. It's a shame because I always spend money in the port towns...but I've never been harassed like that....well, maybe in Playa del Carmen once.

I am in contact with Ephesus Deluxe now and can't decide between the 5 1/2 hour tour and the 7 hour tour that includes the Basilica of St John. Everything else is the same.

So, for those of you that toured the Basilica - was it worth the extra 1 1/2 hours? Seven hours seems like a long tour.....but maybe it goes faster than I think?

That's a tough call. We went there on our first visit because we did not know if we ever would return to this area and at that time, the Archaeological Museum in Ephesus was located very close to it (both in Selcuk) so a visit there was not out of the way. (The Museum is being rebuilt now, so it is closed.)

However, our total tour time for visits to Ephesus, St. John's Basilica and the Museum was six hours, so I agree that a total of seven hours makes for a very long day, especially if you plan to shop after near the port.

The ruins were not anything that exciting; it was the idea of the apostle buried there that got our attention.

Edited by CintiPam

The Basillica is not large -- they are ruins of where the church used to be. I think we spent 30 minutes there so can't understand why it adds 2.5 hours.

We toured with http://www.ephesusshuttle.com and did Ephesus, the Virgin Mary's House and the Basillica in about 3.5 hours, with time for us to go to a leather outlet (our request--no push from the guide) and a jewelry store and we did all that in less than 5.5. hours. It was a great afternoon!