Will RC follow Carival's lead??

I don't see that this has been mentioned here yet, but I wonder if this will open the door to RCI doing longer cruises from Galveston? I think they (or someone) did Panama Canal cruises from Galveston long ago.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayarea/news/article/Carnival-announces-new-exotic-cruises-from-5639161.php

Here's hoping....

According to the article in the Houston Chronicle, Carnival's three new itineraries are

An 11-day southern Caribbean voyage from Galveston to San Juan, Feb. 9-20, 2015, calling at Grand Cayman, Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica and St. Maarten.

A 10-day exotic eastern Caribbean voyage from San Juan to Galveston, Feb. 20 - March 2, 2015, with visits to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Kitts, St. Croix and Falmouth (Jamaica).

A 12-day Journey of Discovery cruise round-trip from Galveston, March 2-14, 2015, featuring Grand Cayman, Limon (Costa Rica), Colon (Panama), and Cartagena and Santa Marta (Colombia).

Sounds like maybe they're "testing the waters" (pun intended :D) for a full transit - maybe in 2016??

C'mon RCI - beat 'em to it!

Edited by J & G

I don't see that this has been mentioned here yet, but I wonder if this will open the door to RCI doing longer cruises from Galveston? I think they (or someone) did Panama Canal cruises from Galveston long ago.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayarea/news/article/Carnival-announces-new-exotic-cruises-from-5639161.php

Here's hoping....

I'd love to see some longer itineraries from Galveston too, but I think they would have to bring in another ship. I doubt they would want to give up the Sunday to Sunday cruise they have now.

I'd love to see some longer itineraries from Galveston too, but I think they would have to bring in another ship. I doubt they would want to give up the Sunday to Sunday cruise they have now.

I completely agree....I wish they'd do it soon....we have a cruise through the PC (San Juan to San Diego) booked for next May. :)

You probably know this already Bob but Carnival is bringing Freedom to Galveston starting next February and when Magic returns from drydock in mid-March, that will make three CCL ships in Galveston. Maybe you were thinking a fourth ship??

Edited by joepeka

You probably know this already Bob but Carnival is bringing Freedom to Galveston starting next February and when Magic returns from drydock in mid-March, that will make three CCL ships in Galveston. Maybe you were thinking a fourth ship??

I was thinking a second ship in Galveston for Royal, in order to do the longer itineraries.

I wish some line would do a full panama canal transit. Start and end in Galveston/San Diego. Most Texans have done land vacations to Mexico so those ports are no biggies.

The Azamara Journey crosses the Panama Canal a few times a year on 10 to 16 night cruises.

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/find-a-voyage/panama-canal-central-america-and-california_16774

azamara-journey.jpg

...I think they (or someone) did Panama Canal cruises from Galveston long ago...

Celebrity did this one season -- 10 and 11 day cruises from Galveston including partial Panama Canal as I recall.

I'd also like to see the 4 & 5 day cruises from RCI return to Galveston, like the Splendour of the Seas used to do. We took a couple of cruises on the Splendour with our church. Drive down Sunday evening. Leave on Monday. Return on Saturday. Never miss a Sunday morning church service. Yeah, the Carnival Triumph does this, but for me I prefer RCI over Carnival.

The Azamara Journey crosses the Panama Canal a few times a year on 10 to 16 night cruises.

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/find-a-voyage/panama-canal-central-america-and-california_16774

azamara-journey.jpg

Not from Galveston, though....right? I'm hoping for Panama Canal/ Southern Carib/ Eastern Carib cruises from Galveston. Fingers crossed....

Are you paying attention, Mr. Fain??? Pleeeeease.....begging is not beneath me! :o

Celebrity Galaxy did 11 & 12 night cruises from Galveston. Unfortunately, they did not sell well and X had some pretty cut rates on the cruises.

I'm sure that would affect how RCI looks at the possibility. If they are selling the 7 night cruise out regularly at a good per diem, they might look into. The last time we sailed on RCI out of Galveston the rates were cheap compared to the ships leaving from Fla. Not a good sign.

One can only hope

Royal Caribbean did partial Panama Canal transits and a longer W. Caribbean out of Galveston cruise way back when. We did the Partial transit from Galveston in Feb of 2003. Unfortunately, it was one of the worst cruises we ever took and it kept us off RCCL for many years. They brought the Splendor of the Seas in to do that while the Rhapsody did the 7 night cruises. They left and Celebrity came in and tried it for a while and then they left us.

Now that the cruise lines have created cruisers out of many folks in TX, OK, AR, NM etc I think people are getting sick of the same itineraries and are looking for something different. Just not sure that Carnival is the right line to do it as it seems many Carnival cruisers scrape and save for a 4 or 5 night cruise (at least if you believe what you read on the Carnival board on CC). It usually takes a more affluent cruiser to afford longer cruises and people who can get the time off. I would love to see RCCL or Princess come do it. At least there is the reposition when they bring the Liberty to Galveston and the 9 night following that one in Nov 2015.

Edited by DebJ14

Now that the cruise lines have created cruisers out of many folks in TX, OK, AR, NM etc I think people are getting sick of the same itineraries and are looking for something different. Just not sure that Carnival is the right line to do it as it seems many Carnival cruisers scrape and save for a 4 or 5 night cruise (at least if you believe what you read on the Carnival board on CC). It usually takes a more affluent cruiser to afford longer cruises and people who can get the time off. I would love to see RCCL or Princess come do it. At least there is the reposition when they bring the Liberty to Galveston and the 9 night following that one in Nov 2015.

I thought it was interesting that Carnival decided to try this out rather than RCI or Princess.....I guess the success remains to be seen. If it was any ship other than Triumph, we'd be tempted. ;)

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

As west coast residents, we would love to see more/different itineraries from Galveston. The typical Western Caribbean ports are not our favorites, and we've been there, done that for the most part. Galveston is a lot easier to get to from our area (extreme Southern California) than a lot of other ports, and though we know there have been problems associated with the terminal there, it would still be worth it to us. But no amount of convenience is going to get me back on Carnival anytime soon!

Pat

As west coast residents, we would love to see more/different itineraries from Galveston. The typical Western Caribbean ports are not our favorites, and we've been there, done that for the most part. Galveston is a lot easier to get to from our area (extreme Southern California) than a lot of other ports, and though we know there have been problems associated with the terminal there, it would still be worth it to us. But no amount of convenience is going to get me back on Carnival anytime soon!

Pat

Yes, I agree that the Port of Galveston is a bit of a hassle, but I'd love an RCI cruise from Galveston to San Diego!! Or vice versa! Southwest has non-stops between San Diego and Houston Hobby.....so I could fly my favorite airline after cruising my favorite cruise line to some of my favorite ports!! :D