Family shore excursions with a 9 month old and two teenagers (13 and 15)

greenpink

I am desperate to find some great excursions to take my family on for our upcoming cruise in March. We are going to Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas), Ochos Rios (Jamaica), George Town (Grand Cayman), and Cozumel (Mexico). My teenage boys are very adventurous and I don't want them to feel they are losing out because we have a baby with us; however I also don't want either my husband or I and the baby to be left out while the other parent and two boys go on excursions together without us. It has seemed impossible so far to find something that will work for all of us. I have had to keep in mind that pleasing a teen can be difficult, but I also don't want them running the trip either...lol Any thoughts/advice?

• 1 month later...

Not sure about the other ports of call, but I know Cozumel has a beach excursion with snorkeling option. Also, most beach excursions that I've seen have kayaking, parasailing, etc for a bit of an extra cost. Maybe look into something like that? The baby would have fun in the sand and water, and the older two could venture out on their own and meet you back at the beach afterward. Hope you find what you're looking for!

On Grand Cayman we did a bicycle tour of the island that stopped at several locations including a turtle farm and hell. After the bike tour we were taken to a beach for swimming/snorkeling. Grand Cayman is pretty flat, so you may want to inquire if the tour operators have baby seats or trailers. It may not be something that they can do for liability reasons, but it might be worth checking into.

I wish I could give you some insight into Ochos Rios, but we went zip lining, which, by the way, my teens LOVED, me, afraid of heights, not so much.

On Grand Cayman we did a bicycle tour of the island that stopped at several locations including a turtle farm and hell. After the bike tour we were taken to a beach for swimming/snorkeling. Grand Cayman is pretty flat, so you may want to inquire if the tour operators have baby seats or trailers. It may not be something that they can do for liability reasons, but it might be worth checking into.

I wish I could give you some insight into Ochos Rios, but we went zip lining, which, by the way, my teens LOVED, me, afraid of heights, not so much.

Doesn't sound like fun to me...

The big thing from Ocho Rios is to climb Dunn's River Falls. Not something you could do with a baby, but your boys and husband could and you can follow along the bank and watch them, take pictures, etc. It's very rocky and slippery in the falls, so they would need water shoes...EM

I am desperate to find some great excursions to take my family on for our upcoming cruise in March. We are going to Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas), Ochos Rios (Jamaica), George Town (Grand Cayman), and Cozumel (Mexico). My teenage boys are very adventurous and I don't want them to feel they are losing out because we have a baby with us; however I also don't want either my husband or I and the baby to be left out while the other parent and two boys go on excursions together without us. It has seemed impossible so far to find something that will work for all of us. I have had to keep in mind that pleasing a teen can be difficult, but I also don't want them running the trip either...lol Any thoughts/advice?

Cozumel - one of the beach resorts that cater to families or Chankanaab. Plenty to do to keep everyone busy there.

At OR I would suggest booking a private tour where you can cater to everyones needs - doing something like seeing the island area, zip lining, followed by beach time.

The big thing from Ocho Rios is to climb Dunn's River Falls. Not something you could do with a baby, but your boys and husband could and you can follow along the bank and watch them, take pictures, etc. It's very rocky and slippery in the falls, so they would need water shoes...EM

Funny, you would think it was obvious that one wouldn't climb with a baby but...

Last year when we were there with the Getaway, there was a father who was wearing a 7-mth old outward facing in a baby carrier climbing the falls !