West Houston to Galveston?

whitshel

We are staying at the Omni West, Energy Corridor for a couple days before we leave on the Navigator. Have seen postings that Houston Traffic is horrible, what would be the best way to get to Galveston, we are driving are own car Btw.

Thanks

There's really only one good way to get to Galveston, and that's the Gulf Freeway (I-45). The easiest way to get to it from where you are is to take the Sam Houston Parkway (Beltway 8) heading south and then east, which will save you from the infamous 610 Loop. It's a little confusing, because if you get on the Sam Houston TOLLWAY by mistake, it's all-electronic, which means there are no toll booths, and no cash payment is accepted. An EZ TAG or other interoperable toll payment tag is required. Ask at the hotel's front desk, and get a map if you don't already have one.

Edited by Langoustine

We are staying at the Omni West, Energy Corridor for a couple days before we leave on the Navigator. Have seen postings that Houston Traffic is horrible, what would be the best way to get to Galveston, we are driving are own car Btw.

Thanks

I'm not sure why the earlier poster suggested using the Beltway. If you are going on the weekend (Saturday or Sunday), then I 10 (Katy Freeway), which is where your hotel is located, eastbound until you do the exchange with I 45 South (Gulf Freeway) in the downtown area is the most direct way to Galveston. Especially Sunday, I don't see why it would take over 90 minutes to get from your hotel to Galveston.

Edited by Texas Tillie

I'm not sure why the earlier poster suggested using the Beltway. If you are going on the weekend (Saturday or Sunday), then I 10 (Katy Freeway), which is where your hotel is located, eastbound until you do the exchange with I 45 South (Gulf Freeway) in the downtown area is the most direct way to Galveston. Especially Sunday, I don't see why it would take over 90 minutes to get from your hotel to Galveston.

100% agree. The drive is an hour at most.

We had to be in Houston yesterday, leaving in 5pm traffic from the west side and were back on the island in less than an hour.

I work right next door to the Omni Energy Corridor. The best thing to do is either take the tollroad (BW8) South around to I-45 South to Galveston. No construction to worry about and it is the quickest route without having to worry about the city traffic. A relaxing drive down and should take an hour.

You could take I-10 East to 45 south but then there might be construction (you will have to check the traffic site for Houston or Google Maps traffic). If no construction, then you should not have any traffic early Sat or Sun morning. It should take you about an 1 hr and 15 minutes going that route.

A must stop on the way down, so give yourself some extra time, is Buc-ees. Definitely a great place to stop to get some last minute snacks or items. Texas City exit #17.

Enjoy your stay in Houston... I love this city.

Edited by BrotherCraig

I still don't think taking the toll road makes sense on the weekend. You won't have an EZTag and the line to pay the tolls at the various toll booths are always very long (and why pay tolls if you don't need too). I vote for I 10 to I 45 and think it will be fastest way. Also, the toll road often has a much traffic as the "free" roads.

Thanks for all the replies 😁 and by s we are leaving Sunday morning to drive down. I didn't think I'd have an issue driving thru downtown on a Sunday morning but I just saw a lot post about traffic. Good and thx again for the replies

There's really only one good way to get to Galveston, and that's the Gulf Freeway (I-45). The easiest way to get to it from where you are is to take the Sam Houston Parkway (Beltway 8) heading south and then east, which will save you from the infamous 610 Loop. It's a little confusing, because if you get on the Sam Houston TOLLWAY by mistake, it's all-electronic, which means there are no toll booths, and no cash payment is accepted. An EZ TAG or other interoperable toll payment tag is required. Ask at the hotel's front desk, and get a map if you don't already have one.

incorrect...it is only a "tag only" on the part between us59 and I10 on the north and east side. the part form i10 south then east to i45 has toll booths.

Leaving on a Sunday morning you will be fine. Just pay attention to see if they have any parts of the highway closed (They like to close parts of it on the weekend for roadwork sometimes) If so you can just hop south on 610 and take that around to I45. Not a big deal. Your profile says you are from Socal....traffic in Houston will not be a big deal to you. ;)

I agree on a Sunday morning there's no need to take the toll road.

What I'm wondering is do you realize how far west of Houston you are? If you're planning any activities in Houston you're probably going to be in heavy traffic (both ways). I've stayed at the Omni West a couple of times (business related), and well, if on vacation it wouldn't be my first choice. It's just too far from everything IMO.

Barbara

I agree on a Sunday morning there's no need to take the toll road.

What I'm wondering is do you realize how far west of Houston you are? If you're planning any activities in Houston you're probably going to be in heavy traffic (both ways). I've stayed at the Omni West a couple of times (business related), and well, if on vacation it wouldn't be my first choice. It's just too far from everything IMO.

Barbara

Ya we know. We will be getting into town Friday afternoon after driving straight through so well probably take a long nap and then just hit some dinner. Saturday we want to hit the space center and then my wife says we have to go to Sam Moon. We don't have those here :)

We pricelined the hotel. I was expecting the westin in west Houston but got the omni for $59 a night so I'm happy. :)

Omni is nice. City Centre is the place to go on that side of town. Shopping, restaurants, movies, etc. Cool place to go with great restaurants. Sam Moon is right across the highway (I10) from that area off of the Bunker Hill exit (big shopping strip mall with HEB, etc). Again, so many great places to eat around there.

Omni is nice. City Centre is the place to go on that side of town. Shopping, restaurants, movies, etc. Cool place to go with great restaurants. Sam Moon is right across the highway (I10) from that area off of the Bunker Hill exit (big shopping strip mall with HEB, etc). Again, so many great places to eat around there.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. We were looking to eat at something and Ziggy's from drive ins, diners and dives? Any feedback from you local Houstonians?

City Centre is definitely the place to go in that area. If you like Italian go to Brio, if you like Churasscaria hit Texas De Brazil. There are all kinds of restaurants in that area, so it will be hard to choose. Decide what kind of food you are craving and ask the Concierge at the Omni what they recommend.