Single supplement

auie2

I sailed NCI as a solo and paid 200%

I sailed HAL as a solo and paid 200%

That is just the way it is. I would not wish to share a cabin even wifh a friend of 20 years. thus Ii pay 200% since my Dh passed away. I eish someone would explain what FIT fare is. thanks in advance if you know and will tell. If I wish to sail, I will pay 200%

Again, not every cruise is at 200%. Some are, but there are some that aren't. I also sail solo and am constantly checking for reduced supplements.

The NCL studios are very small but they are less expensive than the solo price for a regular inside cabin.
the biggest problem with the single cabins is that they are only available in the biggest ships which tend to visit rather mundane ports. Those big ships generally don't visit many interesting ports. They tend to do "cash cow" itineraries.

NCL has some solo cabins on some of their ships. Do they still make you pay double?

No, they only charge for the one person booked in the solo cabin. Earlier this year DH & I sailed on the Epic in a balcony cabin, and my friend joined us, in a solo cabin. Her price for her solo cabin was roughly half the price of our cabin for two people. So no paying double. BTW, I thought the cabin was nicely laid out, and my friend loved it.

I would steer clear of this TA.

Sure, it sounds like a good idea, and an inexperienced person might get away with it-- but a number of lines do actually charge a bit higher fare for one person traveling alone in a two person cabin than they would for two -- the rationale being that they would not benefit from the on-board spending of the second person: which spending is a key component of the line's profits.

There may not be such a thing as a "TA code of ethics" -but if there were, that TA would be found lacking. Any customer following that advice might very well find him/herself charged the single supplement regardless.

I agree; I did not book the cruise. Seemed dishonest.

Yes, there are cruise lines that charge more for a solo fare than the fare for 2. In my experience I have had 3 cruise lines do this when I booked directly with them. :(

The solo Studio cabins found on the newer NCL ship's are priced slightly lower than if a solo traveler booked in a standard inside cabin....However...

the Studio cabins sell out quickly, and their price rarely drops. On the other hand, if you wait for a "last minute" sale, the price of the standard cabin booked by a solo will often drop well below what the Studio's cost.

Last January, I booked a guarantee inside for myself on the NCL Breakaway, for 75% of the cost of the Studio....and when my cabin was assigned, it turned out to be a nice midship balcony! :)

BTW, I believe RCI's Quantum class ship's offer some solo balcony cabins...

Possibly Cunard does as well, but at a high cost...

The solo Studio cabins found on the newer NCL ship's are priced slightly lower than if a solo traveler booked in a standard inside cabin....However...

the Studio cabins sell out quickly, and their price rarely drops. On the other hand, if you wait for a "last minute" sale, the price of the standard cabin booked by a solo will often drop well below what the Studio's cost.

Last January, I booked a guarantee inside for myself on the NCL Breakaway, for 75% of the cost of the Studio....and when my cabin was assigned, it turned out to be a nice midship balcony! :)

The problem of waiting gto see if tthe cab in price drops, if one must fly to the port is whateverr they might save on the cabin pric,e they will mor than pay for airfare if they wait to book the prices go up. If you book air before you book the cabin, you are stuck to pay whateverr youu must if you have already booked the air.

BTW, I believe RCI's Quantum class ship's offer some solo balcony cabins... Thank you for mentioning that. We sailed RCI once and never returned. :)

Possibly Cunard does as well, but at a high cost.. I assure you 200% for a Neptune Suite on H A L is not a low price, particularly on one of their smallest ships. :shrug.

...[/quot

Booking last minute air, to connect to a last minute bargain cruise is indeed a problem....

But if you live withing driving distance--say Boston area--;p, and are catching a cruise out of New York....

you can drive, take Amtrak, or a bus to make your connection at a reasonable cost...:)