RC Cruiser, considering Celebrity

jules815

We have cruised several times with RC and Carnival, and are currently Emerald C&A with RC, and will become Diamond at the end of our cruise in March. My two upcoming cruises on RC are going to be taken with my daughters (25 and 21); the one in March is a spring break cruise, so RC will be a good fit for those trips. I mentioned our C&A status, because I understand that carries over into something with Celebrity.

We're 53 and 56, empty nesters, for now anyway, youngest is a junior in college. Not really interested in the RC mega-ships at this time.

My husband and I have a B2B booked for 9/15 on RC Freedom of the Seas in a Grand Suite. This will be our second time sailing on FOS, and our first in a suite. While we've always enjoyed our RC cruises, I'm starting to think that when we're sailing without family, maybe Celebrity might be a better fit for us. Considering perhaps changing the B2B on FOS into a 10 day on Celebrity. I also noticed that Celebrity visits some ports we haven't been to before. We enjoy the Caribbean, and our preferred sailing time is September/October.

I've been checking out the Celebrity website, and I believe if we were going to book, I'd like to try one of the new Solstice class ships, in a suite, but since it's just the two of us, probably whatever the lowest level suite that would provide us whatever suite privileges are given on Celebrity. Is there a concierge lounge on Celebrity ships? What exactly are the suite privileges on Celebrity? Can someone explain the butler service? Is this the same as a concierge on RC?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm seriously considering giving Celebrity a try.

Celebrity may be a good choice for you. I recently posted a review on the FOS member reviews comparing it to Celebrity S class ships - you may want to read that.

IMHO overall Celebrity has better food, and is a more sophisticated (without being stuffy), more relaxing experience. S class ships are most like FOS but are a bit smaller, and do not have a large promenade.

There is not a concierge lounge per se. Depending how many Elite or higher passengers there are on a cruise, there may be a lounge dedicated during social hours, or there may be three coupons per person per day given out (although RCI wins out on this benefit - on Celebrity this perk is not allowed on certain days when other loyalty functions are going on).

Sky Suites are the lowest level suites, and they are very nice (particularly the corner aft SS1's). I am not familiar with what a concierge does, but the butler does a variety of things. He/she will unpack if you wish, serve meals in your stateroom if you order room service, arrange your specialty dining, and stuff like that. Depending when you cruise, there is a new suite dining room that will be for any suite. If you book higher level suites, there will be a whole new set of benefits. There has been multiple threads discussing this - you may want to do a search on this forum for specifics.

I haven't sailed RC in a long time, but I can tell you something about Celebrity suites. The lowest level suite is a Sky Suite, it's a one room suite sort of like a junior suite on some other lines. With this, you will get some suite perks such as a free specialty restaurant dinner (2 on a 10 day cruise) and access to the new Suite Restaurant starting in April. But you would not get access to Michael's Club, the designated suite lounge for Celebrity Suites and above. Michael's Club is sort of like a country club lounge, with free bar service all day with your choice of drinks and pre dinner canapés. There is also a suite concierge there.

Overall, I think that you will find Celebrity is a good fit for most empty nesters. It is an elegant, dignified environment with good food, excellent service and lovely ships. It is not generally a party atmosphere.

To differentiate Suites on Celebrity I summarize them like this:

• Sky Suite is a "junior Suite" on other lines, is like a typical hotel room in size and layout, only 1 room, no separation from living and bedroom. It will get access to the Suite Dining room with the rollout of the new Suite Perks program in April. It DOES NOT get private lounge access. There are about 50 of these on each ship, scattered on multiple decks and locations.
  • Celebrity Suite, a true suite with separate sleeping and living quarters. It adds access to the private Michaels Club Concierge Lounge. There are around 12 on each ship. This suite as well as the rest of the premium suites, are generally on 1 (M-Class) or 2 (S-Class) decks of the ship clustered together.
  • Royal Suite adds effective in April, unlimited specialty dining, premium beverage package, unlimited internet. Has a whirlpool on veranda, and dining table in the suite. 8 per ship
  • Penthouse adds lots of space and a piano - 2 per ship (only 1 on Reflection)
  • Reflection Suite (only on Reflection) Just 1 cabin - adds a second bedroom and private key card access to its entry hallway that has 5 "Signature Suites", so you can book them all to have a private suite section for large groups.

Edited by cle-guy

We've done 13 RC cruises(2 on the Oasis were my favorites) and now have 7

straight Celebrities-all S class (with 1 of the Oasis thrown in). Still like RC but can't seem to get past the 123 perks(Beverage package) and other Elite benefits that Celebrity offers.

Not nearly as much entertainment or dining choices as the Oasis, but enough to keep us satisfied. Can't say there's much food difference--Celebrity buffet probably a little better.

You can't miss with either. Enjoy.

Thank you! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. It's all a little overwhelming when you're very familiar with another cruise line.

On the Solstice class, are there any Celebrity Suites that you wouldn't recommend? (due to an obstructed view or noise from above?) Are there any that you would highly recommend?

Also, does Celebrity not cruise the Caribbean in September? I was only able to find one cruise that matched our preferred sailing time.

And one more question and it's about dress. Often Celebrity is referred to as more elegant/upscale. What would typical dress be for a non-formal night in the dining room?

Thank And one more question and it's about dress. Often Celebrity is referred to as more elegant/upscale. What would typical dress be for a non-formal night in the dining room?

The absolute same as RC

Thank you! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. It's all a little overwhelming when you're very familiar with another cruise line.

On the Solstice class, are there any Celebrity Suites that you wouldn't recommend? (due to an obstructed view or noise from above?) Are there any that you would highly recommend?

Also, does Celebrity not cruise the Caribbean in September? I was only able to find one cruise that matched our preferred sailing time.

And one more question and it's about dress. Often Celebrity is referred to as more elegant/upscale. What would typical dress be for a non-formal night in the dining room?

All the celebrity suites I'd say are the same. DO note that there is no dining table IN SUITE on the S class Celebrity suites, but is one on the veranda. Some suggest getting on the same deck as the Penthouse suites, to have a better trained butler and cabin steward tending to you.

All Celebrity ships leave the Caribbean in the spring and return in the fall. Summit sails New York to Bermuda all summer. I'm kind of amazed you found a Celebrity ship in the Caribbean as early as September.

Non formal dress think "country club casual". No shorts. Jeans and nice shirt are acceptable.

All the celebrity suites I'd say are the same. DO note that there is no dining table IN SUITE on the S class Celebrity suites, but is one on the veranda. Some suggest getting on the same deck as the Penthouse suites, to have a better trained butler and cabin steward tending to you.

All Celebrity ships leave the Caribbean in the spring and return in the fall. Summit sails New York to Bermuda all summer. I'm kind of amazed you found a Celebrity ship in the Caribbean as early as September.

Non formal dress think "country club casual". No shorts. Jeans and nice shirt are acceptable.

Thanks. And the cruise I found was for October 8. Nothing in September. October would be great too though.

To differentiate Suites on Celebrity I summarize them like this:

• Sky Suite is a "junior Suite" on other lines, is like a typical hotel room in size and layout, only 1 room, no separation from living and bedroom. It will get access to the Suite Dining room with the rollout of the new Suite Perks program in April. It DOES NOT get private lounge access. There are about 50 of these on each ship, scattered on multiple decks and locations.
  • Celebrity Suite, a true suite with separate sleeping and living quarters. It adds access to the private Michaels Club Concierge Lounge. There are around 12 on each ship. This suite as well as the rest of the premium suites, are generally on 1 (M-Class) or 2 (S-Class) decks of the ship clustered together.
  • Royal Suite adds effective in April, unlimited specialty dining, premium beverage package, unlimited internet. Has a whirlpool on veranda, and dining table in the suite. 8 per ship
  • Penthouse adds lots of space and a piano - 2 per ship (only 1 on Reflection)
  • Reflection Suite (only on Reflection) Just 1 cabin - adds a second bedroom and private key card access to its entry hallway that has 5 "Signature Suites", so you can book them all to have a private suite section for large groups.

These are great descriptions except for the CS on the "M" class which are on 4 different decks, one on top of the other, not on one floor.

The absolute same as RC

Interesting, I haven't found that to be the case in our experience.

I'd call Celebrity country club casual at minimum on non-formal nights. It's a bit more polished across the board. I've seen things I wouldn't wear to my local mall on RC on non-formal nights.

Interesting, I haven't found that to be the case in our experience.

I'd call Celebrity country club casual at minimum on non-formal nights. It's a bit more polished across the board. I've seen things I wouldn't wear to my local mall on RC on non-formal nights.

But you, I'm guessing, are a la de da girl. ;)

I live in Florida, I dress casually 95% of the time. It is true that I'm not one to wear clothing with purposeful additional holes though. ;)

Ha Ha!!!! Although I've not seen THAT style on my Royal cruises, I have indeed seen a more casual dress on Royal than X, shorts in the MDR at night for instance, albeit NOT shorts with holes, but shorts and I have NOT seen that on X ...... yet....emphasis on YET!!!!