Pre cruise Celebrity Rome hotel advice

Skip111

We are both 70 and my wife walks with a cane. The 2 hotels that Celebrity uses that include transfer to the ship are NH Leonardo Da Vinci and the Crowne Plaza St. Peter's . Could anyone give us advice to which might be the better bet considering we are slow. Also do either have tours for sale of Rome. It would also be good to have restaurants close. We usually stay at Marriott but Celebrity Does not use Marriott in Rome.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Skip 111

I can't comment on the Celebrity offered hotels, but I can tell you that a lot of cruisers make their own arrangements. It is very easy in Rome and would give you a much larger choice of hotels, and save you money too. We did our own arrangements and chose the Albergo Cesari, a pleasant but not ostentatious hotel right in the center of Rome, a block from the Trevi Fountain and the Partnenon. It has an elevator, a rooftop bar/breakfast venue, and excellent service including recommendations of wonderful and close local restaurants. We booked our transfers through Rome Cabs (airport to Rome, Rome to port, and then port to airport) and can't recommend them highly enough. Anyway, my point is that this would be very easy to do without the Celebrity packages if you would be open to considering that. You will get LOTS of suggestions for wonderful hotels in all parts of Rome.

First time in Rome we stayed at the Crowne Plaza because our TA suggested as X runs their shuttle to the ship from there. It is far from everything and the food at the hotel is not great and overpriced as is the hotel. We (6 of us) now stay in the city and take a private transfer to ship. If you insist on taking X's transfer you can take a taxi from your hotel to CP to catch it. Good luck with your choice.:):):)

I can't comment on the Celebrity offered hotels, but I can tell you that a lot of cruisers make their own arrangements. It is very easy in Rome and would give you a much larger choice of hotels, and save you money too. We did our own arrangements and chose the Albergo Cesari, a pleasant but not ostentatious hotel right in the center of Rome, a block from the Trevi Fountain and the Partnenon. It has an elevator, a rooftop bar/breakfast venue, and excellent service including recommendations of wonderful and close local restaurants. We booked our transfers through Rome Cabs (airport to Rome, Rome to port, and then port to airport) and can't recommend them highly enough. Anyway, my point is that this would be very easy to do without the Celebrity packages if you would be open to considering that. You will get LOTS of suggestions for wonderful hotels in all parts of Rome.

We also like Albergo Cesari and Rome Cabs. Rome Cabs offers private tours of Rome also. You might do better with a handicap accessible room, as many of the the hotels have some steps into the corridors, and bathtubs or showers you have to step up into. Such rooms might be more available at hotels like Crown Plaza.

We are both 70 and my wife walks with a cane. The 2 hotels that Celebrity uses that include transfer to the ship are NH Leonardo Da Vinci and the Crowne Plaza St. Peter's . Could anyone give us advice to which might be the better bet considering we are slow. Also do either have tours for sale of Rome. It would also be good to have restaurants close. We usually stay at Marriott but Celebrity Does not use Marriott in Rome.

Skip 111

We were just in Rome this October for three days before our transatlantic cruise on Reflection. We stayed independently at the Empire Palace Hotel (which was a Celebrity pre-cruise option). We love this hotel, but it is a bit out of the way if mobility is an issue. We enjoyed being a little out of the way from the crowds and there are wonderful restaurants just next door. The transfer bus taking us to the ship stopped at the Crowne Plaza. We were appalled, not only was it WAY out of town, but it looked very worn, reminded us of a cheap motel in the US. I suggest checking out Cruise critic and shop around. We really loved the Empire Palace, and keep in mind taxis aren,t expensive. Hope this helps.

We are both 70 and my wife walks with a cane. The 2 hotels that Celebrity uses that include transfer to the ship are NH Leonardo Da Vinci and the Crowne Plaza St. Peter's . Could anyone give us advice to which might be the better bet considering we are slow. Also do either have tours for sale of Rome. It would also be good to have restaurants close. We usually stay at Marriott but Celebrity Does not use Marriott in Rome

Skip 111

We have just returned from a (Rome - Fort Lauderdale) Trans Atlantic on the Constellation. We stayed at the Leonardo Da Vinci in Rome. The hotel is a short walk to the Vatican and is located on a very nice quiet street. As for restaurants the hotel has a good restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dinner service begins at 7:00 p.m. if my memory serves me correctly. There is a tour of Rome offered at 8:15 a.m. and I think that tour is offered everyday but I am not positive. As for the Crown Plaza it is not as conveniently located as the Leonardo Da Vinci so I would skip staying there. We book everything through Celebrity. Air, hotel, transfers and tours because if something goes wrong Celebrity is there to help. On this last cruise the Constellation was unable to dock in Civitavecchi due to rough seas. Celebrity arranged to have those passengers who had booked their hotel through them picked up and transported (at no additional charge) to Naples where the Constellation was docked and waiting. Celebrity's arrangements may be more expensive but we like the protection that comes with it and this is one of those times. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Chicago Boy

Thanks so much for your help.we where leaning toward the Leonardo Da Vinci. Are their restaurants with in easy walking distance?

There may be but to be honest we ate our meals in the hotel. We are in our 70's and do not venture out after dark unless we are familiar with the area or are with friends. It's just us being cautious. :)