Lax to rome options

bearette

I have looked at Matrix, but I was wondering if there is a site I am missing that can help plan a trip to Europe and inter Europe flights using the low cost air carriers I hear about or train options. I don't think what I want exists but before I check individual web sites it thought I would check with the experts. I am looking for around March 14 ( so leave March 12- or later for cruise that leaves March 18) and a return March 28 (exact date)after cruise arrives in the morning.

I ask because right now Aeroflot is the best priced option, but the return has long layovers (7+) and with everything going on now, it wouldn't be my first choice airline. I also have two kids (both 2) for a total of 4 ( w adults).

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

In general terms, Matrix doesn't show any of the discount airlines (Southwest in the US, for example), which tend not to list schedules more than 6 or tops 8 months out.

So, based on cheapest airfare only, you are seeing Aeroflot, which, while quite a bit cheaper, is also notably longer flights. 19 hours is the shortest going (compared to 15 hours on other airlines) and 25 hours coming back (compared to 15 or 16 on others). That is your choice. Cheaper = longer, more expensive= more direct and faster.

If you want to look at the airlines Matrix doesn't cover, you can consider connecting from a legacy carrier in London or Frankfurt, on to Ryanair, for example, or perhaps IcelandAir or Norwiegan from the states.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Based on the results being given by ITA, I would be looking at Turkish Airlines. An overnight connection going, a reasonable connection coming back. Will be able to give more info in a few days, as we are flying TK ZRH-IST tomorrow, connecting to a IST-YYZ flight on Tuesday.

I have looked at Matrix, but I was wondering if there is a site I am missing that can help plan a trip to Europe and inter Europe flights using the low cost air carriers I hear about or train options. I don't think what I want exists but before I check individual web sites it thought I would check with the experts. I am looking for around March 14 ( so leave March 12- or later for cruise that leaves March 18) and a return March 28 (exact date)after cruise arrives in the morning.

I ask because right now Aeroflot is the best priced option, but the return has long layovers (7+) and with everything going on now, it wouldn't be my first choice airline. I also have two kids (both 2) for a total of 4 ( w adults).

Thanks for any help!

Look at http://www.whichbudget.com/ for a decent listing of budget airlines, some of which aren't included in GDSs.

One thing to note, however, is that most of the major airlines in Europe have long since price-matched with the cheapos, or gotten close enough to it that it isn't worth using the secondary airports or paying the giant add-on fees for bags or seat reservations that make many "budget" airlines not that cheap when all's said and done.

With the majors you get to use principal airports, can do interline bag check and ticketing, and have someplace to turn if things go sideways. Just do some price comparisons using Whichbudget and ITA ("Matrix") and see for yourself.

For most international journeys in Europe, we find the train not to be price competitive with flying, although sometimes the train can be faster on a city center-to-city center basis.

We are going to buy tickets a little later so I will check the things you have listed. Depending on how things are we may do the Aeroflot, but like you said it may not be worth the hassel of trying to pay and schlep luggage if I can find budget tickets. I have some miles with Alaska airlines but nothing that will help me with purchasing tickets.

Thanks!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

We are going to buy tickets a little later so I will check the things you have listed. Depending on how things are we may do the Aeroflot, but like you said it may not be worth the hassel of trying to pay and schlep luggage if I can find budget tickets. I have some miles with Alaska airlines but nothing that will help me with purchasing tickets.

Thanks!

As Gardyloo posted, the lot of budget airlines in Europe have some VERY stringent restrictions regarding luggage, credit card fees, seat selection fees, etc. etc, which when added on are as much as the major airline tickets. AND you may end up at an airport that says it is Paris but it really is about 60 miles away so then you have additional transport expenses. EZ Jet and FlyBe are probably two of the best as far as not charging an arm and a leg for luggage and actually getting you into a USABLE airport, not one out in the boonies. But you will have to schlepp luggage and allow enough time to check in on another airline.

I wouldn't worry about flying into Moscow right now. Quite a ways from Crimea and the fighting. BUT if you want to leave the airport on your layover, you WILL have to get a visa. Expensive, a hassle and NOT worth it for 7 hours.

Good luck, whichever you decide.

I have looked at Matrix, but I was wondering if there is a site I am missing that can help plan a trip to Europe and inter Europe flights using the low cost air carriers I hear about or train options.
You've been warned about the potential perils of low-fare airlines, so I won't repeat that. But you might then want to have a look at http://www.skyscanner.net.

For general information and hints about train travel, http://www.seat61.com is unbeatable. For specific timetable information across Europe, go to www.bahn.de. But for pricing, you may well have to go to the specific train operating companies' websites.

Thank you for the train recommendation site. That was very useful. We have season passes from a recent Paris trip to Disney so it might be worth doing with the kids if I can get a good nonstop.

EZ Jet and FlyBe are probably two of the best as far as not charging an arm and a leg for luggage

EasyJet is great but their carry on limitations are very small. I had a flight on EasyJet with a computer bag and rolling suitcase. I knew that the rolling bag was going to have to be checked as they have stricter carryon limits, but they also weighed my computer bag and I was right at the limit for cabin baggage for what most US airlines would consider a "personal item." I am not saying to not to take EasyJet, just remember to read all the restrictions.