Documentation for a 2 year old?

wildr1der

Hello all! My wife and I have been on two cruises together, but next September we will be cruising for the first time with our almost 2 year old at the time of the cruise. Talk to me about what documentation is needed for her. My wife and I both have passports so we're ok. What will I need for my 2 year old. Are we talking birth certificate or do I need to get her a passport too? We're sailing on Royal Caribbean from NY to Bermuda. I tried finding the information on their website but it was a little vague, or I just didn't fully understand it which is totally possible. :) I appreciate any help you all can offer. Thanks!

Assuming your 2yo was born in the US, and assuming it's a closed loop cruise(begins and ends in the same port), all you need is his official government-issued birth certificate (not a hospital-issued birth certificate).

Note that there are some (generally luxury) cruise lines that go beyond the government requirements and require all passengers to have a passport. Royal Caribbean is not one of those cruise lines.

There is a slight risk to the child not having a passport. In case an emergency arises that requires you to leave your cruise and fly home you will have to visit the visit the US consulate in Bermuda and apply for a passport (or try to obtain emergency temporary authorization to fly home). This will cost time and $$$.

Here's the information from Royal Caribbean's website:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Edited by njhorseman

Assuming your 2yo was born in the US, and assuming it's a closed loop cruise(begins and ends in the same port), all you need is his official government-issued birth certificate (not a hospital-issued birth certificate).

Note that there are some (generally luxury) cruise lines that go beyond the government requirements and require all passengers to have a passport. Royal Caribbean is not one of those cruise lines.

There is a slight risk to the child not having a passport. In case an emergency arises that requires you to leave your cruise and fly home you will have to visit the visit the US consulate in Bermuda and apply for a passport (or try to obtain emergency temporary authorization to fly home). This will cost time and $$$.

Here's the information from Royal Caribbean's website:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

This. However I wouldn't expect that a two year old traveling with both parents who have passports would have a difficult time obtaining the necessary travel authorization in the event of an emergency.

Hello all! My wife and I have been on two cruises together, but next September we will be cruising for the first time with our almost 2 year old at the time of the cruise. Talk to me about what documentation is needed for her. My wife and I both have passports so we're ok. What will I need for my 2 year old. Are we talking birth certificate or do I need to get her a passport too? We're sailing on Royal Caribbean from NY to Bermuda. I tried finding the information on their website but it was a little vague, or I just didn't fully understand it which is totally possible. :) I appreciate any help you all can offer. Thanks!

I disagree with the other comments. RC going to Bermuda does require a passport. Only RC going to close loop to Bahamas doesn't need a passport. They changed this policy in 2009. If she will be only 2 then you only need a raised seal original birth certificate, if she will be older then you do need a passport.

This. However I wouldn't expect that a two year old traveling with both parents who have passports would have a difficult time obtaining the necessary travel authorization in the event of an emergency.

Agreed, but who needs the extra hassle on top of the emergency? Just get a passport and prevent unnecessary headache.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I disagree with the other comments. RC going to Bermuda does require a passport. Only RC going to close loop to Bahamas doesn't need a passport. They changed this policy in 2009. If she will be only 2 then you only need a raised seal original birth certificate, if she will be older then you do need a passport.

You're wrong on all counts. I quoted the information from Royal Caribbean's website in my earlier post, which by the way is the same as the requirement imposed by DHS. The requirements I cited were adopted by DHS (CBP) on June 1, 2009. There is nothing in the CBP regulations or Royal Caribbean's requirements that limit the use of a birth certificate to Bahamas cruises.

Please read this and educate yourself:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID. If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate. The United States does not require you to have a passport. (A Consular report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State or a Certificate of Naturalization is also acceptable.)

Edited by njhorseman

Agreed, but who needs the extra hassle on top of the emergency? Just get a passport and prevent unnecessary headache.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's a matter of risk assessment and one's acceptance of the risk, which for the vast majority of passengers is very low.

The ship leaves from and returns to the same US city, so it is closed loop.

Again, I may be wrong but I believe that a closed loop cruise must be within defined geographical areas. A cruise that leaves Florida and goes around the Caribbean and returns to Florida is clearly a closed loop cruise.

A cruise that does the same thing but goes to some place in Europe is, I believe, not a closed loops cruise.

My question is whether Bermuda was within the defined closed loop area.

DON

Again, I may be wrong but I believe that a closed loop cruise must be within defined geographical areas. A cruise that leaves Florida and goes around the Caribbean and returns to Florida is clearly a closed loop cruise.

A cruise that does the same thing but goes to some place in Europe is, I believe, not a closed loops cruise.

DON

Yes, Bermuda is a closed loop cruise, returning to the same starting port.

For Europe cruises a passport is needed for U.S. citizens, but they need to that to get into Europe in the fist place.

DON

The defined area is the western hemisphere defined as canada, bermuda, mexico and the caribbean (cbp has a list of the islands somewhere on their website).

The defined area is the western hemisphere defined as canada, bermuda, mexico and the caribbean (cbp has a list of the islands somewhere on their website).

Correct. Here is the "fact sheet" published by CBP. The first paragraph defines the applicable areas:

What is the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)?

This initiative establishes document requirements for travel

by land or sea into the United States from Canada, Mexico,

the Caribbean and Bermuda. Travel between the U.S.,

Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands is not affected.

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/whti_state_factsheet.pdf

Note: Since the website was redone I can no longer find the list of countries...but that's OK because soon after it was published CBP realized there were countries commonly visited on closed loop cruises that were omitted from the list (Belize was one as I recall) and they quickly had to notify the cruise lines that it was permissible to accept birth certificates as proof of citizenship for those countries too. I recall Carnival actually put a note in its documentation FAQ clarifying that use of a BC was OK despite the country(ies) not being on CBP's list.

Edited by njhorseman

The fact is you will find out that no American, regardless of age, will be allowed back into America at American Customs unless a passport exists. Get one for your child - they are good for five years, not the 10 as for grown ups. We saw a whole family suffer a "what now" moment at the airport while leaving on our flight to Ft Lauderdale for a Caribbean cruise because their 3 year old didn't have a passport. Was very sad

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The fact is you will find out that no American, regardless of age, will be allowed back into America at American Customs unless a passport exists. Get one for your child - they are good for five years, not the 10 as for grown ups. We saw a whole family suffer a "what now" moment at the airport while leaving on our flight to Ft Lauderdale for a Caribbean cruise because their 3 year old didn't have a passport. Was very sad

On a closed loop cruise they most certainly will be allowed back into America without a passport, so your fact is a little off. Not sure why the family would have that trouble at the airport on a domestic flight.

Sorry, but your story is completely wrong. Per DHS regulations, US citizens of any age don't need a passport to take a closed loop Caribbean cruise.

If someone was unable to board a flight without a passport, it must have been an international flight, not a domestic flight.

Edited by njhorseman