Quen Elizabeth to start Gallipoli Poppy Wall in Auckland

When QE arrives in Auckland , a Poppy Wall will be started on Queens Wharf which the ship willl carry , as she continues on her World Cruise , to Turkey .

c1b036a081e5a3eb97a3955fb2e88be27189ed1d_620x311.jpg

Heres the story from this mornings NZ Herald.....

Liner's voyage marks Gallipoli centenary

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11406748

Congratulations Cunard on recognizing the feelings Australians and Kiwis have in relation to the loss of life in Gallipoli and WW1, in such a special way.

How sad that four brothers died from the one family in WW1. Nice that a free cruise has been given to a NZ descendant and an Aust couple.

I hope we see the finished wall.

Congratulations Cunard on recognizing the feelings Australians and Kiwis have in relation to the loss of life in Gallipoli and WW1, in such a special way.

How sad that four brothers died from the one family in WW1. Nice that a free cruise has been given to a NZ descendant and an Aust couple.

I hope we see the finished wall.

Yes, I hope some photos are posted.:D

The event was announced this morning as a news report on a local radio station. Unfortunately they got it all wrong.......

They announced that Queen Elizabeth was arriving today and anyone could go down and add a poppy to the wall. The announcer even looked out the window and said she could see its light as it came up the harbour.

I did a double take , as I knew she was coming in on Friday. Checked again and I was right. They then backtracked and said the lights were from an Apartment buildingand not the ship.

Do they ever check these reports they are given?

I can remember at school being taught to always ask the 5 "wh'" questions.

Who , Where, What , Why , and When.

I think all they do these these days is run spell check:D

The event was announced this morning as a news report on a local radio station. Unfortunately they got it all wrong.......

They announced that Queen Elizabeth was arriving today and anyone could go down and add a poppy to the wall. The announcer even looked out the window and said she could see its light as it came up the harbour.

I did a double take , as I knew she was coming in on Friday. Checked again and I was right. They then backtracked and said the lights were from an Apartment buildingand not the ship.

OMG, does the media ever check their stories? :rolleyes:

What a great thing for Cunard to do. I will look forward to seeing the wall in October.

thanks David, I heard it and raced down there thinking that I had it all wrong, after all....Hillary Barrie is never wrong! The guy in the newsroom was a bit put out when I rang him after returning...(still in my pyjamas) as he swore they had turned out the lights in the studio to watch...

I can't believe they mistook a stationary building that is permanently in front of their studio for a ship...let alone one of the Queens....makes you wonder what is in their coffee

still eagerly waiting for friday....how was your cruise david...

regards Roscoe

Edited by roscoe39

thanks David, I heard it and raced down there thinking that I had it all wrong, after all....Hillary Barrie is never wrong! The guy in the newsroom was a bit put out when I rang him after returning...(still in my pyjamas) as he swore they had turned out the lights in the studio to watch...

I can't believe they mistook a stationary building that is permanently in front of their studio for a ship...let alone one of the Queens....makes you wonder what is in their coffee

still eagerly waiting for friday....how was your cruise david...

regards Roscoe

LOl, I can imagine it is more than just a dash of baileys in the coffee.:rolleyes:

So maybe I should have told someone that one branch of my family lost 7 out of 11 kids and dad in WW1 but they were POMS so probably wouldn't have counted.

But it is an incredibly nice thing they have done.

A few people I know have been making poppies [knitting I think] for a commemoration.

Excellent, pics of your bunny eared slippers and jim jams won't be necessary though.;)

sorry guys, I struggled for ages this morning trying to upload pics on this site but have now uploaded them to my blog until i work out how to get them on. hopefully someone will put others on and we can watch the poppy wall grow.

Those of us who were down to great the Queen started it off so theres a few on already

page on my blog as follows....

http://roscoesseafever.blogspot.co.nz/2015/02/lest-we-forget-cunards-poppy-wall-27.html

sorry guys, I struggled for ages this morning trying to upload pics on this site but have now uploaded them to my blog until i work out how to get them on. hopefully someone will put others on and we can watch the poppy wall grow.

Those of us who were down to great the Queen started it off so theres a few on already

page on my blog as follows....

http://roscoesseafever.blogspot.co.nz/2015/02/lest-we-forget-cunards-poppy-wall-27.html

Thanks Roscoe, great pics. I am sure the poppies will eventually fill the wall.:D

lest we forget.

Thank you for the photos and the updates. Its getting a lot of media coverage which should ensure the wall grows and grows throughout the day. I believe some of the RSA's (RSL in AU) have been making poppies and will be taking them down as well.

You must have been up real early Roscoe:D Great shots:)