The beautiful beaches of St Thomas - brief descriptions/opinions

blue_water

We like Lindbergh for the calm water and access to the restaurant, beach bar, and nice restrooms at the BW. I know Magens is a pretty bay, especially from the hilltops, and also has nice calm water. But it's just not enjoyable there for us.

Secret Harbor is also calm but may be more crowded being a small bay...

cruizin: Magens is a very long beach. Most people crowd in front of the bar/restaurant. If you walk down the beach, you can find a little space.

Also, if you get in at noon, what time do you leave? Paradise Point is a great place late in the afternoon, sunset time. If you are at the West Indian Dock/Havensight you will get great pictures of your ship as it is pulling away from the dock without you.;)

cruizin: Magens is a very long beach. Most people crowd in front of the bar/restaurant. If you walk down the beach, you can find a little space.

Also, if you get in at noon, what time do you leave? Paradise Point is a great place late in the afternoon, sunset time. If you are at the West Indian Dock/Havensight you will get great pictures of your ship as it is pulling away from the dock without you.;)

12-7 is our time in port. I'm fine missing the sunset pic opportunity in lieu of missing my ride home.

I may sign up for a ship tour just so we can get to both things and have it timed right, but I swear I hate those things. Lol. I would rather a private tour if I had to but I need to research one that starts at noon. This will be the first time for a few of the folks in my family, and I really want them to enjoy both paradise point and a beach.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Sapphire has had some erosion in front of the condo buildings. In the past the sand has always come back but time will tell. I have seen people with wheel chairs out on the beach at Sapphire.

I think Magens has some beach wheel chairs but not totally sure on that. They definitely have a wheel chair ramp.

Magens and Secret Harbor are almost always very calm where as other beaches vary from day to day.

If you're docked at Havensight (WICO) Paradise Point is a great spot to relax befire returning to the ship as you can walk from the tram station at the bottom of the hill to your ship. The taxi from the beach can drop you at the top or you can take the tram up if time allows. You can usually get refundable roundtrip tram tickets from your excursions desk as well for a couple $ less.

If docked at Crown Bay you'll need to get a taxi from PP or from the tram station at the bottom of the hill back to port so not quite as convenient...

If you're docked at Havensight (WICO) Paradise Point is a great spot to relax befire returning to the ship as you can walk from the tram station at the bottom of the hill to your ship. The taxi from the beach can drop you at the top or you can take the tram up if time allows. You can usually get refundable roundtrip tram tickets from your excursions desk as well for a couple $ less.

If docked at Crown Bay you'll need to get a taxi from PP or from the tram station at the bottom of the hill back to port so not quite as convenient...

I checked the website. We'll be docking at WICO.

cruizin: I was kidding about the ship pulling away! If you are at Havensight, you will have a good view of your ship. It is a quick tram ride down and a short walk across the street. The sun typically sets way earlier than 7 pm, so you might get a nice sunset shot...

It's all good. I didn't think you were serious but you did make me think to look and see where we are docked. I'm not that thin skinned. Lol

Where is the best snorkeling other than Coki? We wI'll be docked at crown and were thinking of Emerald beach since we've never been there and it's close to where we dock. Has anyone had experience with Turtle cove? Any info appreciated.

Emerald (Lindbergh Bay) has long been our go to beach when doecked at Crown. It is close, clean, has chair rentals, and a decent beach bar/restaurant. There is snorkeling, but 2 weeks ago it was a bit disappointing because the fish were few and far between. We used to always see some cute squid....but on this last trip even they were gone. The snorkel area is to the far left (when looking out at the water) beyond the ropes that mark the swimming area. Snorkel close to the shore (where there is some reef) and maybe you will be lucky.

We should mention that this beach has been discovered by cruise ship crews so, if it is a nice day, you will likely see crew here from the ship(s) docked at Crown. Since it is only a 5 min ride (and cheap) from the pier it is very convenient and its often not crowded. A couple of week ago they were charging $15 for 2 beach loungers and umbrella.

Hank

Where is the best snorkeling other than Coki? We wI'll be docked at crown and were thinking of Emerald beach since we've never been there and it's close to where we dock. Has anyone had experience with Turtle cove? Any info appreciated.

Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald beach) is a nice beach to relax at, the Best Western has a restaurant and the planes aren't too much a bother.

For snorkeling you want to head for the East End, Sapphire would be our choice. 25 min/$11 taxi from Crown but it also happens to be one of the most gorgeous beaches and offers plenty of natural shade while on the beach.

Hi guys, I’m back and we visited Sapphire beach. Very nice beach, beautiful, a little bit too small for my liking, but very nice, picturesque with beautiful setting in the background, the sand is a bit rocky and the snorkeling wasn’t that great! I did see a few corals and that’s about it…. So a bit disappointed. I know people will say here you have to know where to snorkel, but really you have no time in the world to explore the entire beach from the left to the right…. I thought that there will be abundance of colorful fish but it wasn’t. but overall beach was nice and I’m glad that I visited it!

Morningstar Beach is closest to Havensight and is a popular spot for folks docking there who are looking for a quick beach stop following an excursion or other tour. Home to the Marriott and you can use their services or just pick a spot on the beach for your towel and take a lunch if you'd like.

DH has decided he wants to stay close to the ship for a few hours at the beach so I figure Morningstar it is. Can we just take a cab there and just rent lounger and umbrella for a couple of hours. Not looking for a "day pass" with food, drinks etc. If so how much? Anyone been here lately?

Morningstar Beach is closest to Havensight and is a popular spot for folks docking there who are looking for a quick beach stop following an excursion or other tour. Home to the Marriott and you can use their services or just pick a spot on the beach for your towel and take a lunch if you'd like.

DH has decided he wants to stay close to the ship for a few hours at the beach so I figure Morningstar it is. Can we just take a cab there and just rent lounger and umbrella for a couple of hours. Not looking for a "day pass" with food, drinks etc. If so how much? Anyone been here lately?

Re Morningstar the answers are yes, yes and yes :). As I recall the rental of 2 loungers was about $20 for the day. If you are happy to simply use your towel there would be no charge. For shade we often just pull our chairs back under some trees that are at the rear of the beach. If you want food there are some options including a small convenience store (cheaper then going to a cafe). And there are free rest room facilities. The taxis no exactly where to drop you to access the beach and available facilities.

If you have your own snorkeling gear, there is some OK snorkeling off of that beach...although it is not world class.

Hank

Yes Morningstar is perfect for that and you can rent lounges (for the full day price), or as I mentioned above just lay your towel on the beach for free.

Are there restrooms on Sapphire Beach? Lounger rental?

Yes there are restrooms, lounges are $9pp, and there is abundant natural shade along the beach, no umbrellas needed. Excellent Mahi Mahi sandwich at the Banana Cabana beach grill, $14 but it is big enough to share.

Check out the drone video and web cam here if you haven't already -

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Edited by blue_water
Typo

Thank you Blue_water. We'll be there in January! Taking the Breakaway from NY which also stops in Tortola so I have been reading your advice there too.

Thanks mamagina, I enjoy reading your reviews! :)

Hope you enjoy Tortola, my favorite island to visit!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Late joining this thread. Cruise curveball thrown at us and after a year of research I need to study two new ports in less that a week. No problem though as we'll be on vacation. That said; want to find the best beach/beach bar for our families needs. Seems like Sapphire may fit the bill as it has the base level amenities we need (traveling with 3.5 and 1.5 yr olds). Is the water calm, clear here? Or would the water be calmer/clearer elsewhere? Thanks in advance.

Re Morningstar the answers are yes, yes and yes :). As I recall the rental of 2 loungers was about $20 for the day. If you are happy to simply use your towel there would be no charge. For shade we often just pull our chairs back under some trees that are at the rear of the beach. If you want food there are some options including a small convenience store (cheaper then going to a cafe). And there are free rest room facilities. The taxis no exactly where to drop you to access the beach and available facilities.

If you have your own snorkeling gear, there is some OK snorkeling off of that beach...although it is not world class.

Hank

How far is Charlotte Amalie (to shop) from Morningstar, and how far back to the port (Havensight)? We are in port from 8-5, so I think we'll have plenty of time to do it all!