The beautiful beaches of St Thomas - brief descriptions/opinions

blue_water

Thanks for the info. Family of 5 traveling to St Thomas in a couple of weeks on the Allure of the Seas. I'm leaning towards checking out Sapphire, just curious if you can rent chairs and umbrellas there now?

Anyone been to Sapphire recently that can provide a review? I'm looking for quality snorkeling and beach time, thanks.

Sapphire has all the amenities you want, lounges are $12 each, and no umbrella rentals but there is a lot of natural shade along the water. The shaded area can fill up on busier days between condo owners/guests and day visitors. But most of the day visitors stay around the sandier swimming section by the dive center.

Gorgeous beach, water colors, and island views :)

• 1 month later...

I have decided to go to Sapphire beach, I know somewhere I read a description of the beach. But can't find it. I trying to figure out when I get to the beach which side is easier to get into the water. I know one side is rocky and the other is sandy. Can someone share with me.

I have decided to go to Sapphire beach, I know somewhere I read a description of the beach. But can't find it. I trying to figure out when I get to the beach which side is easier to get into the water. I know one side is rocky and the other is sandy. Can someone share with me.

The beach is all sandy but once you get in the water there are areas of large rocks, which are easily seen from shore. That is where the water is darker. There is sand right up to the rocks. As you face the water the far left side has a lot of grass. There you may see a few random turtles but not many fish. To the far right are the rocks, but you can easily enter the water just to the left of the rocks. You will want to snorkel to the rocks as that is where all of the fish hang out. We usually find a spot under the Seagrape trees closer to the rocky area as snorkeling is our focus when we are there. We enter the water just to the left of the rocks.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

You are dropped near the dive shop, and as Sunny AZ Girl said the area to the left of the dive shop as you face the water is a sea grass area. In front of the shop is the sandier swimming area where you may see an occasional rock, and to the right is a rocky area. That is also where the coral is so be sure not to stand on that.

You'll see a section that has natural shade and a section that is not shaded and the view is great from anywhere. This web cam shows the shaded area that is to the right of the dive shop, there is also a drone video showing more of the bay.

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

The light blue-roofed building is about where the sea grass area is. Note that the web cam date may not be current but if working it is a life view.

Edited by blue_water

You are dropped near the dive shop, and as Sunny AZ Girl said the area to the left of the dive shop as you face the water is a sea grass area. In front of the shop is the sandier swimming area where you may see an occasional rock, and to the right is a rocky area. That is also where the coral is so be sure not to stand on that.

You'll see a section that has natural shade and a section that is not shaded and the view is great from anywhere. This web cam shows the shaded area that is to the right of the dive shop, there is also a drone video showing more of the bay.

The light blue-roofed building is about where the sea grass area is. Note that the web cam date may not be current but if working it is a life view.

Thank you for the great info and Thank you to Sunny AZ girl as well.

Hi all, new to cruise critic and first post! First of all, this site is incredible with people taking the time to help out and suggest the best spot to make the vacation that much better. Blue water you are amazing as well.

My question is I have found (by luck :p) the site Cruise TT which lists which boats will be present at the same time as my trip. What I can't seem to find is which port or harbour we will dock at each port. I see some people mentioning they are closer to 1 beach than the other, but the info I found only states which other ships will be present, and not where my ship will dock.

I am sailing on the NCL Gem and will be at STT Jan 3 2017. I am set to go snorkel at Sapphire beach and enjoy the beautiful scenery, question is am I completely on the opposite side? Where can I search which port in STT we will be docking?

Thank you all and keep up the great work

Welcome to cruise critic! This is a great site with many, many experienced travelers providing excellent help. We've learned a lot here too! ;)

The site that shows where the ships dock is Vinow dot com, just select the cruise ship schedule link. You are docked at West Indian Co or WICO for short, also called Havensight. So you are at the preferred dock for the East End beaches like Sapphire.

This map is helpful if you haven't seen it -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

And Sapphire is an excellent choice for a beach day whether snorkeling or just enjoying the Sapphire-colored water and island views -

Have a great cruise! :)

Thank you for the valuable info. I can't wait to go, this will be my first cruise in the Caribbean.

Happy holidays everyone!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Hi crazy cruiser

I am on the same sailing as you and plan on going to Sapphire. You should join our roll call for the sailing. we have a fun bunch.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51803481#post51803481

If it does not come up just click on the roll call button and you can find it through that.

tumblew467 yes the roll call is a good idea

Thank you for all the valuable info. I am going to Sapphire, last time we went to magens and loved it. But want to see another beach.. are there floats to rent on Sapphire? 7 more days till our cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for all the valuable info. I am going to Sapphire, last time we went to magens and loved it. But want to see another beach.. are there floats to rent on Sapphire? 7 more days till our cruise.

Hope you were able to get to Sapphire and enjoy your day there tumblew467?

Hope you were able to get to Sapphire and enjoy your day there tumblew467?

Yes we did make it to Sapphire and did enjoy the time we spent there. Wonderful beach. We took a cab over to Blackbeard's castle after the beach and spent over an hour there and then headed back to the ship. Nice relaxing day. thanks for all the info you gave me. I recommend Sapphire to all that go to St Thomas.

Yes we did make it to Sapphire and did enjoy the time we spent there. Wonderful beach. We took a cab over to Blackbeard's castle after the beach and spent over an hour there and then headed back to the ship. Nice relaxing day. thanks for all the info you gave me. I recommend Sapphire to all that go to St Thomas.

We're heading to Sapphire on 3/1. It's a short day in port for us, from 7a-2p. Were you able to get chair rentals, and did you have a favorite spot?

We're heading to Sapphire on 3/1. It's a short day in port for us, from 7a-2p. Were you able to get chair rentals, and did you have a favorite spot?

Yes we did get lounger rentals .

If you look at post #432 Sunny Az girl gave me tips for the beach. and post 4343 from blue water. We went to the left of the dive shop and got chairs in an open spot in the sun in front of the bar. The bar has food as well and the bathrooms are right there as well. THere are waitress that walk around and ask you if you want drinks or food. The dive shop is where you get the chair rentals. I did not go into the water b/c it felt chilly to me . But i also got a terrible head cold while on the cruise. taxi's are readily available to take you back to port.

In the webcam you can see the seagrape trees and shaded area along the water. To the left of the frame is where the dive center is, you can see lounges piled there. That is full sun and as tumblew mentioned where the restrooms and food and drinks are located. That is also where the sandy entry into the water is so many folks stay right there. Further beyond that is a seagrass area where you can sometimes spot rays and sea turtles. The beach there is also sandy and you can see part of the Crystal Cove condo buildings in blue.

We prefer the shaded area because it's quieter and you can get wait service there, but you can go anywhere you want as long as you don't intrude on the pool and other condo properties.

• 1 month later...