The beautiful beaches of St Thomas - brief descriptions/opinions

blue_water

You could also grab a throw-away cooler and bag of ice at the port before taxiing to the beach.

Sapphire is definitely worth the money but no guarantees on the weather.

DeBlonde I'd suggest Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) for your group, the Best Western is very nice, and if you want a more "locals" experience the Island Beachcomber is more casual. Magens is crowded in the main beach area with just 1 ship in port.

I will be at St Thomas in January and am undecided after reading several pages. Snorkeling is our #1 goal. It will be our first visit there and can't decide which beach! I don't want to risk not having clear water but would prefer to not be at the most crowded beach! Advice?

Nettie: The two longest, widest beaches are Magens and Sapphire. Even if there are lots of folks, you can still find an uncrowded section on either...Magens is sandy bottomed which provides beautiful blue water, but isn't as hot for snorkeling. Also, be flexible. Swells and winds can cause waves during the winter, so go for the best water for that day.

Nettie: The two longest, widest beaches are Magens and Sapphire. Even if there are lots of folks, you can still find an uncrowded section on either...Magens is sandy bottomed which provides beautiful blue water, but isn't as hot for snorkeling. Also, be flexible. Swells and winds can cause waves during the winter, so go for the best water for that day.

Thanks! I'm definitely leaning towards Sapphire, but how will I know what beach is the best for that day? It sounds like the drivers will suggest where their families are vendors. Who would be best to ask?

Thanks! I'm definitely leaning towards Sapphire, but how will I know what beach is the best for that day? It sounds like the drivers will suggest where their families are vendors. Who would be best to ask?

Snorkeling is not good at Magens. Sapphire can get a bit rough in winter. If your sail in was smooth, it should be ok. Check the web cam if you have internet access.

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com/

Secret Harbor is another good beach for snorkeling but is small. It is likely to be calm & clear

Yes there is no easy answer for day visitors, your time is somewhat limited so you don't have the luxury of checking out different areas until you find the best conditions. There is no other way to determine which beach is best that particular day. Having said that, Coki and Sapphire are a short taxi from one another, and SH isn't far from Sapphire so you could hit Coki first and go to another beach if you want to.

You are correct in that many drivers will strongly suggest Coki and that is usually because they have friends/relatives working there. Coki is gorgeous, some people love snorkeling there while others hate it because it's so crowded with beginners feeding the fish.

staying in Sapphire in January Sapphire was mostly very calm although there were a couple days one year the seas were rougher. If seas are rough it's a crapshoot. But if calm water for snorkeling is your main priority SH would be your best bet. You won't have the longer beach and natural shade of Sapphire but you just have to make a choice.

Edited by blue_water

I will be at St Thomas in January and am undecided after reading several pages. Snorkeling is our #1 goal. It will be our first visit there and can't decide which beach! I don't want to risk not having clear water but would prefer to not be at the most crowded beach! Advice?

If Snorkeling is your #1 goal check this place out:

http://www.stthomasadventures.com/#!snorkel/cyg

I'm not affiliated with them at all, but am in the same boat as you, going to be there in January and really want to snorkel. Stumbled across them as being highly ranked in trip advisor.

This thread has been really helpful! I'm taking my first solo cruise in November. One of my concerns is that traveling solo I don't have anyone to trade off with keeping an eye on stuff. Do all of the beaches have lockers? If not which ones do? I'm leaning toward either Sapphire or SH. My goal is to relax and enjoy the sun and sand, maybe with some snorkeling thrown in.

Also, silly question but I assume all mention of prices is in US dollars? Is USD accepted everywhere?

This thread has been really helpful! I'm taking my first solo cruise in November. One of my concerns is that traveling solo I don't have anyone to trade off with keeping an eye on stuff. Do all of the beaches have lockers? If not which ones do? I'm leaning toward either Sapphire or SH. My goal is to relax and enjoy the sun and sand, maybe with some snorkeling thrown in.

Also, silly question but I assume all mention of prices is in US dollars? Is USD accepted everywhere?

Hi readruntravel! Cruising to new destinations alone does have some challenges but it's also an exciting adventure and it's great that you have this to plan for.

I don't know if Sapphire or SH have lockers, sorry, hopefully Beautiul Bill can answer for Sapphire. For SH you can email the dive center with that question at

http://www.aadivers.com

Everything is in US$, not a silly question.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Docking at Crown. Looking for

A) beautiful beach; B) snorkeling; C) easy to access - cannot walk well; D) shade; E) bar or restaurant to relax and enjoy the view; F) bathrooms and shower facilities (shower can be outdoors)

Could ferry to St. John, but since in Crown Bay, don't want to spend all day transferring. Thought about doing an excursion to get there if necessary because it looks like it would cost us around $50-60 each to get there on our own.

We do enjoy steel drum music and a few drinks and a less busy beach.

We are thinking Secret Harbor might fit from what I've read on here.

Suggestions?

There are no lockers at Sapphire or Secret Harbor. You can buy a water proof bag that attaches around your waist for a wallet,key and credit card. Most of the beaches are fine but it is never a good idea to leave valuables unattended. When I am at Sapphire people will often ask me to keep an eye on their things which I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving in 2 weeks for cruise and will be going to st Thomas on the 23rd. It will be myself my husband and my 10 yr old daughter who has special needs. We are looking for a peaceful place where we can relax. I am leaning towards Meagans bay. I believe I read that there are bathrooms and lockers there correct? Can you rent lounges or floats for children too? Most of my family (we are going with a huge crowd) are going to sapphire but I have heard it is very rocky now and the beach is very small due to erosion. Any thought?

Leaving in 2 weeks for cruise and will be going to st Thomas on the 23rd. It will be myself my husband and my 10 yr old daughter who has special needs. We are looking for a peaceful place where we can relax. I am leaning towards Meagans bay. I believe I read that there are bathrooms and lockers there correct? Can you rent lounges or floats for children too? Most of my family (we are going with a huge crowd) are going to sapphire but I have heard it is very rocky now and the beach is very small due to erosion. Any thought?

Regarding Sapphire there is a rocky section and a sandy area, no major erosion that we've seen but the sand does shift with the currents.I would not classify Magens Bay as a peaceful place to relax, but Sapphire I would.

Regarding Sapphire there is a rocky section and a sandy area, no major erosion that we've seen but the sand does shift with the currents.I would not classify Magens Bay as a peaceful place to relax, but Sapphire I would.

Just curious as to why you think sapphire is more relaxing (not criticizing just trying to find the best place for my family and I value the opinions of everyone so I can make an educated decision). I read a review recently from a sept 20th cruise that said sapphire had a ton of erosion which worried me. I need a nice sandy beach for my daughter.

Just curious as to why you think sapphire is more relaxing (not criticizing just trying to find the best place for my family and I value the opinions of everyone so I can make an educated decision). I read a review recently from a sept 20th cruise that said sapphire had a ton of erosion which worried me. I need a nice sandy beach for my daughter.

Again the erosion statement is news to us, there may have been some shifting as a result of a storm, or the poster may not have been in the sandier swimming area as that is a common cause of reports like that. Perhaps Beautifulbill can help you more there.

Magens is a very sandy bay but Sapphire adds the beautiful views. But Magens is more protected and you may want to choose that.

Edited by blue_water

I have a 14 year old with special needs and will be in St. Thomas at beginning of January. I would be very curious to hear about your experience when you get back and if you have any tips for us. My daughter is in a wheelchair, already our cruise line has told us she couldn't do any of their excursions due to the vehicle type at St. Thomas being safari like trucks with no place to store her wheelchair. so now I'm stuck trying to find a transportation option that can take us to a beach that is hopefully not horrible to access for her.

I have a 14 year old with special needs and will be in St. Thomas at beginning of January. I would be very curious to hear about your experience when you get back and if you have any tips for us. My daughter is in a wheelchair, already our cruise line has told us she couldn't do any of their excursions due to the vehicle type at St. Thomas being safari like trucks with no place to store her wheelchair. so now I'm stuck trying to find a transportation option that can take us to a beach that is hopefully not horrible to access for her.

You might check the cruising with disabilities board, they might have some suggestions for you :)

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

No worries bzzltyr, you can take a van taxi which can take the wheelchair, the taxi coordinator at the dock can help you with that. And there are a few beach options where you can get to the beach without too much difficulty including Sapphire, Secret Harbor, and Lindbergh (aka Emerald). You'd want to make arrangements for that driver to return for you to be assured of a van for the return.

The walkway near where you are dropped at Sapphire is wheelchair-friendly. You'd have to wheel in the sand from the walkway to get close to the water and to the natural shade, but it should be doable since it's firm enough.

The Best Western at Lindbergh is right on the beach near the water and you would easily be able to get close to the water there as well.

And the Secret Harbour Resort at SH is also right on the beach and shouldn't be a problem.

With any of these beaches you would be ok. If you wanted a more secluded beach and have the driver attend to you and pick you up you can even get dropped right under the trees at Hull Bay and there is a bar/restaurant there as well.

Is the sand texture the same for the beaches on STT? We are looking for soft powder sand.

Also, We love Nachi Cocum, Cozumel because it is a day resort only and has umbrellas, hammocks food, etc. and only allows a limited amount of reservations per day. is there anything like this on STT or STJ?

Edited by spyfytiffy

Is the sand texture the same for the beaches on STT? We are looking for soft powder sand.

Also, We love Nachi Cocum, Cozumel because it is a day resort only and has umbrellas, hammocks food, etc. and only allows a limited amount of reservations per day. is there anything like this on STT or STJ?

The sand is soft, and no there are no properties like NC. All beaches are free to the public except Magens and Smith Bay which charge a nominal fee.

You can choose between a very lively vibe with Coki where several vendors rent everything and sell food/drinks, Magens Bay which is very crowded with lounges, drinks and not so great food, or Secret Harbor which is a smaller bay like Coki but with a condo property, dive center, and nicer restaurant;

Or the quietest beach with a beach bar at Hull Bay but nothing else, or Smith Bay/Lindqvist Beach with restrooms and not much else but arguably the nicest beach choice.

In between you have Lindbergh with the Best Western and a good restaurant and beach bar, Sapphire with a condo property, runners taking food/drink orders on the beach and natural shade, and Cowpet Bay with a beach grill and several condos.

Thinking about Lindbergh/Emerald for our visit there next year. We've been to Coki twice and just love it. Wanting to try something different but with similar features. We have two kids so calm waters is a must.

Never tried Magens, because the crowds would be a turn off. What do you think

blue _ water?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk