South America/Cape Horn vs Alaska

Traveler27

This post is for those that have done Alaska and South America/Cape Horn route. I admit this could be a silly question and maybe no comparison, but asking for your feedback.

I am an Alaska lover and go back yearly for Cruising at least. Have experienced all the major ports including Sitka, Homer, Seward/Kenai, Hubbard, Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm etc.

Looking at doing South America/cape Horn next March 7 on the Zaandam 14 day cruise. It appears that Holland America has the better itinerary for scenic cruising. Ports Santiagao, uerto Montt, Puerto Chacabuco, Ushuaia, Falkland Island, Montevideo Buenos Aires. Cruising - Sarmiento Canal, St. of Magellan, Cockburn Channel/Beagle Channel, Glacier Alley, Cape Horn. I would be interested if there is a better itinerary that I should look at.

My question is...will the South America trip be a once in a lifetime experience that I shouldn't miss or will I miss Alaska. Are there any similarities? Generally I do 7-8 day cruises in Alaska.

I have been able to snag lower promenade cabin 3332 with full window mid ship by the Atrium. I can't afford a balcony cabin on this one. If anyone has experience with the Promenade cabins I would be anxious to hear about that as well.

Sorry for the long post......Thank you in advance for any feedback.

This post is for those that have done Alaska and South America/Cape Horn route. I admit this could be a silly question and maybe no comparison, but asking for your feedback.

I am an Alaska lover and go back yearly for Cruising at least. Have experienced all the major ports including Sitka, Homer, Seward/Kenai, Hubbard, Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm etc.

Looking at doing South America/cape Horn next March 7 on the Zaandam 14 day cruise. It appears that Holland America has the better itinerary for scenic cruising. Ports Santiagao, uerto Montt, Puerto Chacabuco, Ushuaia, Falkland Island, Montevideo Buenos Aires. Cruising - Sarmiento Canal, St. of Magellan, Cockburn Channel/Beagle Channel, Glacier Alley, Cape Horn. I would be interested if there is a better itinerary that I should look at.

My question is...will the South America trip be a once in a lifetime experience that I shouldn't miss or will I miss Alaska. Are there any similarities? Generally I do 7-8 day cruises in Alaska.

I have been able to snag lower promenade cabin 3332 with full window mid ship by the Atrium. I can't afford a balcony cabin on this one. If anyone has experience with the Promenade cabins I would be anxious to hear about that as well.

Sorry for the long post......Thank you in advance for any feedback.

We have done both Alaska and Around the Horn. Both were wonderful trips. You see more glaciers in Alaska, but there is so much more for South America.

If you have done Alaska before, it make a lot os sense to do something different. DO South America.

It is more than mountains, glaciers and penguins. Buenos Aires and all the ports to Valparisio to Santiago, there is so much more to see.

We did Around the Horn on Celebrity Infinity. Don't like HAL's smoking policy.

Here is my review of the Infinity cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=248878

If you have been to Alaska, go to Antarctica and South America. Antarctica is magic we saw so much wildlife and those icebergs just floating by, loved it. Plus South Anerica is so different from the Alaskan ports. Do some research, jump out of your comfort zone (Alaska) and do it. The weather was very changeable but you are at the bottom of the world, crossing Drake's passage was interesting. First and only time on formal nights I have heard Captain request ladies to leave high heels in cabin.

I travel both every year, but have been to Alaska a lot more. 6 South America trips. Very different, and certainly enjoyable for me. I spend a lot of time out on deck, scenery watching and take several wildlife tours each trip. I've made it to Volunteer Point all 6 times, which for me, is the highlight with the multithousand colony of King penguins. no other accessible area to see 3 species, in the large numbers.

I have found, way too many people, don't do their homework and get off the ships in ports (mostly tenders), and then scratching their head looking for something to do. Best to at least know what touring is available and have ideas and reservations in place before you get there.

I do Alaska pretty much every year and have done South America twice. Was lucky enough to do Antarctica before they changed he fuel regulations. Scenery can be spectacular, the penguin tour to Volunteer point from Port Stanley is the best excursion I've done anywhere. (went with Patrick Watts) Book as early as you can, these fill up fast. I spend several days in Buenos Aires both times and loved it.

You might get more replies by starting a new thread. But hope this helps:

We only had four days in Buenos Aires. We had arranged a guided walking tour for two half days, which gave us an excellent overview. I highly recommend this. We were able to get our bearings, which allowed us to get around on our own on our last day. We used Buenos Tours and our guide, Oliver, was prompt, personable and well informed. His driver picked us up at the port and and took care of our baggage after debarkation, then took us on to our hotel after our tour. This worked out beautifully and we had a great time.

But since you have so much time in BsAs, I can say that the most relaxing and delightful experience we had was a visit to San Antonio de Areco. The town is lovely and gives you a feel for life in La Pampa. Fabulous shopping (lots of silversmiths and beautiful things to drool over) and a small cathedral. We chose to go to a lovely estancia, La Bamba, for lunch and entertainment. It was all fantastic! Expensive, yes, but well worth it. Buenos Tours arranged all of this for us as well...they were very efficient and easy to work with. Our friendly and capable guide for San Antonio deAreco was named Laura...do request her. Highly recommend.

Edited by pickypicky