Waze app in Italy

HUNKY

Just keep in mind that many US cell plans include little or no free data when in Europe. Waze (DW is a true Wazer) does eat up data.

Hank

and it eats up battery - be sure to have your device plugged in instead of standalone.

I buy a SIM for my iPad when I go to Europe, so I never think of the data cost. I just recently got a smartphone, so I haven't used it outside the USA yet. But, it is an unlocked phone, so if I'm going to go data-heavy, I can always buy a SIM for it, too. I have T-Mo, so I do have data for Europe if I need it...

and it eats up battery - be sure to have your device plugged in instead of standalone.

I buy a SIM for my iPad when I go to Europe, so I never think of the data cost. I just recently got a smartphone, so I haven't used it outside the USA yet. But, it is an unlocked phone, so if I'm going to go data-heavy, I can always buy a SIM for it, too. I have T-Mo, so I do have data for Europe if I need it...

T-Mobile is simply amazing when it comes to Europe. It just works...and it works just about everywhere. Nearly all their plans allow you to use your data in Europe just like in the USA....so you have the same monthly limit...but with no extra fees. If you are on the 2GB plan and need more, you simply adjust your account (on the phone) and add 4 more Gigs for only $10. You are charged 20 cents a minute for phone calls (even to or from the US) which is a bargain. There are absolutely no roaming charges or other fees. So there is no need to buy a European Sim (which actually costs more then just using your T-Mobile account). Another nice feature is that your regular US Cell number works anywhere..so your friends/family can reach you by simply dialing US number rather they having to deal with a European phone number.

We even stopped buying WiFi time on our cruise because of T-Mobile. We simply activate the Hotspot function on our iPhone and then can connect any other device to the phone via WiFi or Blue Tooth. You are then using your T-Mobile data to provide internet access to your other devices. In Europe this works whenever you have a T-Mobile signal which is usually within 10-15 miles of land. So there are times when you do not have coverage. On the other hand, if you pay the big bucks for cruise line WiFi...it also does not work all the time...and often is slower then a snail.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Just keep in mind that many US cell plans include little or no free data when in Europe. Waze (DW is a true Wazer) does eat up data.

Hank

We were recently happy to discover that Verizon now has some plans that work on a "per day" cost (In Mexico it was $2 per day, more in Europe - but well worth it to us.) You then may use your current US data/voice plans without any additional charges, unless of course, you exceed your allotted usage. You are only charged for the days you actually use it. I believe the plan we elected is called Travel Pass.

And yes, we used WAZE almost daily in MX.

Edited by sippican

T-Mobile is simply amazing when it comes to Europe. It just works...and it works just about everywhere. Nearly all their plans allow you to use your data in Europe just like in the USA....so you have the same monthly limit...but with no extra fees. If you are on the 2GB plan and need more, you simply adjust your account (on the phone) and add 4 more Gigs for only $10. You are charged 20 cents a minute for phone calls (even to or from the US) which is a bargain. There are absolutely no roaming charges or other fees. So there is no need to buy a European Sim (which actually costs more then just using your T-Mobile account). Another nice feature is that your regular US Cell number works anywhere..so your friends/family can reach you by simply dialing US number rather they having to deal with a European phone number.

We even stopped buying WiFi time on our cruise because of T-Mobile. We simply activate the Hotspot function on our iPhone and then can connect any other device to the phone via WiFi or Blue Tooth. You are then using your T-Mobile data to provide internet access to your other devices. In Europe this works whenever you have a T-Mobile signal which is usually within 10-15 miles of land. So there are times when you do not have coverage. On the other hand, if you pay the big bucks for cruise line WiFi...it also does not work all the time...and often is slower then a snail.

Hank

Good to know about T-Mo. I've had it on my dumb phones since when it was Voicestream. When I bought my RAZR, it was because I could take it to europe and, in an emergency, use it on the T-Mo network. Actually did that once. When I bought my iPad Mini, T-Mo did not offer it nor the nano SIM for it. So, I bought the ATT version but did not activate on ATT network - T-Mo and ATT used the same bandwidths and were usable in Europe. So, I only use WiFi here at home. I'd buy a SIM at the TIM store when I got to where I was staying. Easy peasy. Using Maps with GPS to guide my driving was critical and worked like a charm!

As far a Waze, I just got it last month and, since I haven't driven anywhere I needed it (my 3 miles into/back from home on one road). But, when I do drive further, I'll put it on!

Edited by slidergirl

We intend to check out T-Mobile when the iPhone 8 comes out next year. A cruising friend tells me the same as Hank has written.

We've been in France for about ten days now and I still highly recommend the free HERE app. Download the maps you need over wifi, then use the app offline. HERE works much better than pre-downloaded Google Maps...especially in small towns and villages.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

• 2 months later...