What I noticed about dressing (or not) for dinner

jnmrlk

I noticed (in both dining rooms) that there were people in shorts. I had thought that you at least had to have jeans or dress pants on so I was surprised to see this. It pretty much seemed that anything goes.

What is the actual "dress code" for NCL or is it pretty much anything goes now?

Although I am not a formal dress person, I think resort casual is appropriate and there were some that I felt belonged in the buffet not the dining room.

What do you all think?

I noticed (in both dining rooms) that there were people in shorts. I had thought that you at least had to have jeans or dress pants on so I was surprised to see this. It pretty much seemed that anything goes.

What is the actual "dress code" for NCL or is it pretty much anything goes now?

Although I am not a formal dress person, I think resort casual is appropriate and there were some that I felt belonged in the buffet not the dining room.

What do you all think?

Hot topic usually, my feelings are they should stick to what they advertise and have not shorts in any dining room for dinner and one MDR set aside for no jeans. Seems as though this summer they have gotten really slack on their published dress codes. Might just be a summer thing I don't know but on our May cruise they were enforcing the dress code.

By all reports, yours being the most recent, Freestyle dining has become a dress code free-for-all on the Dawn this summer.

You are correct about NCL's published dress code calling for nice jeans or slacks, but for whatever the reason that has been ignored on the Dawn of late.

You didn't mention which ship/cruise you were on. The Bermuda run has been intentionally lax regarding the no-shorts policy.

Is it possible that the staff just threw in the towel and acquiesced to the idea that 'Freestyle' has actually translated into 'Slovenly Style' ?

I think one dining room should be more dressy and the other more casual and was under the impression that was how it went, but it didn't seem that way.

I was not bothered by this, more curious as to what the "rules" were.

I did notice an employee get reminded to tell a guest to put his shirt on in the buffet.

People in the buffet really pushed the limit, one lady came in, swimsuit wet (no coverup) no shoes - to me this was just too much.

You didn't mention which ship/cruise you were on. The Bermuda run has been intentionally lax regarding the no-shorts policy.

Is it possible that the staff just threw in the towel and acquiesced to the idea that 'Freestyle' has actually translated into 'Slovenly Style' ?

Also it was shortie shorts and basket ball shorts not Bermuda shorts.

I think one dining room should be more dressy and the other more casual and was under the impression that was how it went, but it didn't seem that way.

I was not bothered by this, more curious as to what the "rules" were.

I did notice an employee get reminded to tell a guest to put his shirt on in the buffet.

People in the buffet really pushed the limit, one lady came in, swimsuit wet (no coverup) no shoes - to me this was just too much.

I understand NCL doesn't want to say anything that may turn away customers but I think they are turning more future cruisers away by not following their own rules. Seems like you don't even know what to pack since they keep changing the rules.

I would guess that the reason NCL isn't enforcing the 'rules' is because there is demand for more casual dining. What is the difference between shorts (which are viewed by some as unacceptable) and a mini-skirt (which no one seems to say is unacceptable)? If people want more formal dining then they should consider other cruise lines. I prefer casual (as long as it is neat and clean) and especially with all the airline charges these days for luggage.

On my May cruise on the Sun there were two main dining rooms and one allowed jeans..the other did not. I never saw shorts in the main dining room on any NCL cruise I've taken with the exception of people who did not get their luggage.

I'm on the Star to Mexico next month and will pay more attention to what is allowed..not that it matters to me as I don't give a hoot what anyone wears as long as they don't show underarm hair and don't reek of Body Odor!:eek:

I always dress up in silk evening pants and dressy top with pashmina...that's just me.

I would guess that the reason NCL isn't enforcing the 'rules' is because there is demand for more casual dining. What is the difference between shorts (which are viewed by some as unacceptable) and a mini-skirt (which no one seems to say is unacceptable)? If people want more formal dining then they should consider other cruise lines. I prefer casual (as long as it is neat and clean) and especially with all the airline charges these days for luggage.

Rather than not enforcing the rules they should change the rules so that everyone can make an informed decision on what to pack. More fundamentally, you can also decide whether allowing shorts in the dining room is objectionable enough to make you decide to spend your vacation dollars somewhere other than with NCL.

I, too, MUCH prefer casual. Less to pack, less worry about what my teenagers are currently fitting into, and to tell the truth I never notice what other people are wearing- unless I'm feeling underdressed myself! ("See honey! That guy over there has a T shirt on, too....").

However, I never could understand the jeans crisis. First of all, who wears jeans on a cruise? When it's 100 degrees in Nassau, are you wearing JEANS? The only jeans I ever bring on a cruise are the dirty ones from the drive down- IF it's winter and I'm sailing out of NYC. Then came the "ripped or torn jeans" issue, which many people rightly thought was strange. Who wears RIPPED OR TORN jeans on a cruise? The 75 year old lady in front of me or the 60 year old retired military man behind me? The 80 year old couple? The 40 year old mother of four who probably spent the last four months on Cruisecritic making a list that says "duct tape" at the top of it? Entire families who take 25 pictures at dinner alone? The only ripped or torn jeans that I have ever seen were some strategically torn totally expensive gorgeous jeans on some upscale NY'ers on a HAL cruise once.

I did see a guy with long gray hair show up in a dining room with jean overalls and no shirt underneath. Next night it was something else horrifying. The Maitre d spoke to him and the next night they looked a lot better (and I recognized a shirt from the store). Turns out he and his pals were bikers who spent their time raising money for something to do with sick children... I forget what it was.

Rather than not enforcing the rules they should change the rules so that everyone can make an informed decision on what to pack. More fundamentally, you can also decide whether allowing shorts in the dining room is objectionable enough to make you decide to spend your vacation dollars somewhere other than with NCL.

What line allows shorts of the USA port ships? Just curious.

Not sure I understand your post.:)

What line allows shorts of the USA port ships? Just curious.

Not sure I understand your post.:)

NCL has allowed shorts in the Dawn's dining rooms all summer. The Dawn sails from NY to Bermuda all summer. And why would it matter if the ship was homeported in the US or elsewhere? It's whether you think the cruise line has allowed dress in the dining room to get too sloppy.

I really do not care what a person wears. I have never been impressed by appearance, as the saying goes, "appearances may be deceptive".

I feel it is much more important to be an interesting, kind person than to be a boring, objectionable person. People can fall into either catagory regardless of what they are wearing.

When I go out to dinner I do not sit watching other diners to see what they are wearing and I certainly do not judge people based on their clothes. Usually I am to busy enjoying good food, good wine and good company to notice or care what others are wearing.

NCL has allowed shorts in the Dawn's dining rooms all summer. The Dawn sails from NY to Bermuda all summer. And why would it matter if the ship was homeported in the US or elsewhere? It's whether you think the cruise line has allowed dress in the dining room to get too sloppy.

Thanks for replying. I'm wondering if the ships that go to Bermuda are more relaxed? Having never been there I don't know. I've been to Mexico several times and E. Carribean twice and don't remember any shorts in dining rooms. Not that they weren't there but I did not notice.

Yes, if NCL is allowing shorts and t-shirts in the MDR then I agree the dining rooms are getting too sloppy and NCL needs to enforce their dress code. Unfortunately it seems that main stream cruise lines are not all following their own guidelines.. hence the MDR and Chogs rules (chair hogs..don't ya love that word, chogs?) threads on several boards!

I will continue to wear my nice evening clothes to the dining rooms. :)

I seriously think there should be "ONE MDR" for all those who seem to need "dress codes" to complete and enhance their dining experience, and the rest of the restaurants for us who don't.

I don't give a flying fig how anyone dresses when I dine................not on a cruise ship, not when I am at home, and frankly not when I am anywhere. My attention is on my evening with whom ever I am dining with, the food, the wine, and the pleasant evening...if you want to come to your table in your boxer shorts...go for it, have fun, enjoy your dinner...............I won't be focusing on you anyway, so go for it. What is up with all this obsession on what OTHER PEOPLE are wearing??? ugh!

Some people like to enhance their cruising experience with dressing up...others don't. That doesn't mean anyone is obsessed with other's dress.. lighten up and make your sig of your cabin smaller..it would make the pages load faster. :)

Happy sails.:)

I am also just off the Dawn. The first night I wore to dinner what I wore on board which was denim capris and a shirt mainly because I did not have time to unpack before dinner. The rest of the week I wore black, tan, or navy capris with nice tops. I did notice no control on dress in the dining room. I few times I saw short short jeans on girls where they were so short that the pockets were hanging past the cut off of the shorts. Way too short. I also saw guys in sleeveles tees that should be worn by the pool not in the dining room. Finally on my last day I actually wore jean shorts but they were to my knee and I only decided this because I was packing up my suitcase and was like why not, everyone else is dressing soo down and I didnt want to have to pack another outfit in my carry on on the way home.

The buffet was another site. I mean yes it is a buffet but at least put some form of a coverup on please. I don't want your dripping wet, bathing suit body next to me in line..

Some people like to enhance their cruising experience with dressing up...others don't. That doesn't mean anyone is obsessed with other's dress.. lighten up and make your sig of your cabin smaller..it would make the pages load faster. :)

Come on, Winnie! You've been on this board at least as long as I have - probably longer - you KNOW there are some people here completely obsessed with what other people wear to the dining rooms! :p Personally, I'd like to see those folks lighten up, but we all have different priorities in life, and it's not up to me to tell others what should or shouldn't be important to them. If they want to waste even one precious moment of their lives caring about what a complete stranger that they'll never see again for the rest of their lives is wearing on the other side of a dining room with most of their body obscured beneath a table cloth... well, that's their choice. Me, I'm with Uneamie; when I'm dining, my attention is focused on my tablemates and our meal. :)

Do I think dress codes and other rules should be enforced? Certainly, but if they aren't, they aren't. I've got better things to think about, especially on vacation!! :)

Come on, Winnie! You've been on this board at least as long as I have - probably longer - you KNOW there are some people here completely obsessed with what other people wear to the dining rooms! :p Personally, I'd like to see those folks lighten up, but we all have different priorities in life, and it's not up to me to tell others what should or shouldn't be important to them. If they want to waste even one precious moment of their lives caring about what a complete stranger that they'll never see again for the rest of their lives is wearing on the other side of a dining room with most of their body obscured beneath a table cloth... well, that's their choice. Me, I'm with Uneamie; when I'm dining, my attention is focused on my tablemates and our meal. :)

Do I think dress codes and other rules should be enforced? Certainly, but if they aren't, they aren't. I've got better things to think about, especially on vacation!! :)

This discussion on this board will never end:)--I just received my cruise welcome aboard booklet from NCL for my cruise in Oct. The dress guidelines are spelled out clearly in this booklet:)--why can't cruisers follow the dress guidelines???? I hope in my coming 16 day cruise that the guidelines are followed.:)

Big Green

I seriously think there should be "ONE MDR" for all those who seem to need "dress codes" to complete and enhance their dining experience, and the rest of the restaurants for us who don't.

I don't give a flying fig how anyone dresses when I dine................not on a cruise ship, not when I am at home, and frankly not when I am anywhere. My attention is on my evening with whom ever I am dining with, the food, the wine, and the pleasant evening...if you want to come to your table in your boxer shorts...go for it, have fun, enjoy your dinner...............I won't be focusing on you anyway, so go for it. What is up with all this obsession on what OTHER PEOPLE are wearing??? ugh!

I totally agree! And I also agree that you should ditch the cabin picture.

Maybe shorts were allowed on the Bermuda run because of Bermuda shorts?

This discussion on this board will never end:)--I just received my cruise welcome aboard booklet from NCL for my cruise in Oct. The dress guidelines are spelled out clearly in this booklet:)--why can't cruisers follow the dress guidelines???? I hope in my coming 16 day cruise that the guidelines are followed.:)

Big Green

I hope they are too, BG!

Carlalena, you're absolutely correct! NCL's sailings to Bermuda have always allowed Bermuda shorts. When we booked the Dream a few years ago for the 'Texaribbean' itinerary, it was stated in the dress code information that on our sailing, due to the customs of Texas, jeans were allowed. It also stated that Bermuda shorts were allowed on Bermuda sailings. That was almost four years ago, so this isn't new.

I totally agree! And I also agree that you should ditch the cabin picture.

Maybe shorts were allowed on the Bermuda run because of Bermuda shorts?

Hmm...why should I ditch the "cabin picture"...many would like to see what a mini suite looks like before they book their cruise...which is why I post it....what do you have against it?

I got "high speed" Internet "years" ago so I can enjoy all the graphics...if you think I am going to pay for my high speed and then stop myself from sharing my graphics with those who are paying for it like me....then you are crazy.....upgrade your Internet service if you want your pages to load faster....don't expect the rest of us to make your life easier while we are paying for high speed. ugh!

You can enhance your cruising experiencing all you want....Don't see any one here complaining about "dressing up"... do you? That said, it's those who are obsessed with dressing up that are the one's who need to "lighten up"....they are the ones complaining about those who do not dress up. I have no clue as to why you are telling me to lighten up................I have no problem with however anyone dresses.

And like I said before...sorry some pages do not load fast enough for you....but that certainly is not "my problem"......look into faster internet service and stop blaming others for your less than perfect Internet experience. ugh!

Archived