Flight with child

Muumuu

We travelled from Australia to Europe a couple of years ago with our autistic son who. Was 3 at the time.

We didn't take another seat for him. The economy seats are comfortable for them.

If concerned during take off and landing that he won't sit still ask for a baby seat belt lap strap that means he can sit on your lap and you can hold onto him.

If in doubt call the airline

We will be flying in to Europe for a TA cruise with a 3 1/2 year old

My question is - do we need to bring a special seat, like a car seat for the plane?

Car seat usually aren't allowed on aircraft . They don't have any way to tether the top of the seat. There are aircraft/car seats , you'll have to check with airline if they allow these seats.

Car seat usually aren't allowed on aircraft . They don't have any way to tether the top of the seat. There are aircraft/car seats , you'll have to check with airline if they allow these seats.

FAA approved car seats and CARES harness system are allowed to be used in aircraft:

"A CRS is a hard-backed child safety seat that is approved by the government for use in both motor vehicles and aircraft. FAA controls the approval of some but not all CRSs. Additional information is available on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website. Not all car seats are approved for use in airplanes.

Make sure your CRS is government approved and has "This restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft" printed on it. Otherwise, you may be asked to check the CRS as baggage."

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/

If the OP is flying on a non-US airline then there may be some issues. A quick goog will show that most EU airlines will allow aircraft approved car seats and the CARES harness to be used.

However, "booster seats" are not allowed.

Edited by Philob

After about two years old, car seats positioned my girls' feet into the back of the seat in front of them. Not thrilling for the person in front of them, and we couldn't use the tray table. After that, we always just used the seat belt. I'm pretty sure that up to two years old, they're supposed to be in a car seat on board, but after 2, it's up to the parent.

Best,

Mia

After about two years old' date=' car seats positioned my girls' feet into the back of the seat in front of them. Not thrilling for the person in front of them, and we couldn't use the tray table. After that, we always just used the seat belt. I'm pretty sure that up to two years old, they're supposed to be in a car seat on board, but after 2, it's up to the parent.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

"Suppose to be in a car seat"...under two can/usually legally fly as an "inlap infant". We took the "CARES" system with us for our 17 month old grandchild...didn't work out too well...so he just had to be held during take off/landing.

If you are flying a US Airline you can take an FAA approved car seat, but I would not for that age. I flew to CA (from FL) with DD when she was that age and she sat in the regular seat and it worked great. She would not have been comfortable for a long flight in her car seat (and her feet would have been in the back of the seat in front). I thought about CARES, but she was too tall.

US Airlines do not have "baby seat belts" to allow a child to sit on a lap. If the child is 2 or older he/she must sit in his/her own seat (either in a car seat or secured with the seat belt).

As a mom of a 3.5 year old I say skip the carseat. It will take up a lot of space on the plane and be heavy to transport. My 3 year old is my youngest of three kids and I'm doing my happy dance now that we don't have to bring on a carseat anymore!