Black man in a kilt?

Repsol Rod

OK folks - here's my disclaimer right up front. I am posing the following in all honesty and sincerity and don't wish to incite any kind of ethnic, gender, or racial animosity. Please don't flame me or each other should you choose to respond.

Now then, to our fellow cruising Scotts, and others who may be so inclined to contribute:

I have always been fascinated with the kilt and admired men who have the courage to wear one outside it's native setting. So much so that I've recently contemplated donning a full formal kilt myself. I am a Black man and couldn't be further removed from Scottish heritage so I'm wondering if it might be looked upon as mocking if I were to wear one.

A kilt is edgy in and of itself - a Black man in a kilt; doubly so.

I like to push the fashion envelope but not so as to cause discord in the process.

Have any of you seen a Black man in a kilt? And against my better judgement I'm going to ask this do you think this is something I might be able to pull off - with class even?

Repsol

While I don't see a problem with your wearing a kilt, if you're not of Scottish persuasion, it's not really the "thing to do"! I'd be like dressing in a Marine Corp. dress uniform, if you're not in the Marines!

You are comparing apples to oranges.

David Beckham and Ashton Kutcher have recently been photographed wearing kilts.

Please. It is a fashion thing.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

David Beckham and Ashton Kutcher have recently been photographed wearing kilts.

Please. It is a fashion thing.

I agree with you.

I've seen people wearing the Sari, the Kimono, and the Cheongsam; not one is Indian, Japanese, or Chinese. Why should this be any different?

While I don't see a problem with your wearing a kilt, if you're not of Scottish persuasion, it's not really the "thing to do"! I'd be like dressing in a Marine Corp. dress uniform, if you're not in the Marines!

I served six years in the Army so I can certainly identify with that. There's a certain pride that comes with wearing the uniform - which is discounted if handled with anything but the utmost respect and consideration.

Thanks for the pic, BlueHerons, and your feedback.

I'm not sure how "casual" the wearing of a kilt has become as of late but this is not something I would do flippantly. Because of the suspected sensitivity of the matter I would exhibit nothing less than accuracy and authenticity - even going so far as to research Scottish tradition.

To that end, no, I am not a Scott. And though this is the land of basically "do what you want" in this matter I would sooner relent than stiff-arm the oppositon to make a point.

Any others? And remember, play nice.:)

Repsol

I'm of Scottish descent. IMHO, a kilt is a really tough look to pull off successfully. I'm sure my late, great, grandfather and grand-uncles would have been horrified if anyone other than a Scot wore a kilt. Me? I'm just kinda horrified when anyone wears a kilt if they are not playing bagpipes, regardless of their skin color.

How would you feel seeing someone who is obviously not of your ethnic background wearing clothing that was specific to your ethnic background?

As true kilt wearing Scotsman - I can assure you all that you don't need to be Scottish to wear a kilt.

The Scottish regiments have a fair number of non Scots and 2nd / 3rd generation immigrants from all corners of The Commonwealth in their ranks, but these Battalion wear the kilt - so it is not unusual to see all skin colours when they parade through Scottish Cities on Rememberance Sunday.

Can I also politely correct you on your spelling....

2 T's in Scottish

1 T in Scot

Scott is a clan name.

Confusing I know.... :p

Gotta agree with ala-kat here. I say, if you're comfy in it and it fits well, go for it!

What color you are doesn't matter to me one whit... the important thing is... do you have the knees for it, and will it enrich MY visual experience? :D

(I'm kidding! Kidding! blow out your matches, y'all! :) )

How would you feel seeing someone who is obviously not of your ethnic background wearing clothing that was specific to your ethnic background?

While I understand your point, our ethnic backgrounds aren't always obvious. Just as there are whites with an African background, I'm sure there are blacks with a Scottish background. And how the heck are we supposed to know?

I'm of Scottish descent. IMHO, a kilt is a really tough look to pull off successfully. I'm sure my late, great, grandfather and grand-uncles would have been horrified if anyone other than a Scot wore a kilt. Me? I'm just kinda horrified when anyone wears a kilt if they are not playing bagpipes, regardless of their skin color.

Not wanting to be disrespectful but Ouch .... thats a bit of misconception for a start... despite your Scots background.

Can you imagine a Scottish wedding with 100 Gents wearing kilt and all playing the bagpipes at once.

Bagpipes don't equal wear kilt

and wearing kilt does not mean must have bagpipes

Yes the wearing of the kilt is hard to pull off - I have noticed many wearers who don't know many of actual the do's and dont's

simple things like...

How to tie the long laces on your Ghillie Brogues?

Should I wear a belt?

Which hose should I put my Sgian Dubh in?

Please bear in mind that the Kilt can be worn both formally and informally. It all depends on the occasion to which it is being worn, that determines what you wear with your kilt.

Hope this helps to clarify

...Can I also politely correct you on your spelling....

2 T's in Scottish

1 T in Scot

Scott is a clan name.

Confusing I know.... :p

Sorry 'bout that. It shant happen again.:D

Houndmom, my knees suck too. The length of the kilt is measured to the middle of the knee so, as long as I forego the Capt. Morgan pose, I think I might be ok.:p

Rep

The thing with a kilt is that the fabric pattern (the tartan) identifies one as a member of a particular clan. My family's clan, for example, is the Wilson family, and they appear to have been a bunch of colorblind folks. The colors in the swatch aren't quite right - it's more aqua and orange sherbet than what shows, really awful stuff. But I digress.

So you don't "need" to be a Scot or of Scottish descent (but I'm thinking that most of the people in those pictures are - Taye Diggs is wearing something godawful that I don't think qualifies, and Samuel L. Jackson just looks ridiculous IMHO, as does the bimbo he's posing with), but you will be in a pretend costume if you do.

WilsonOC.jpg

I'd laugh my butt off. But then, I'm such a mutt that I'm visualizing somebody in a kilt wearing headfeathers and a dashiki.

This poses another question. Is there such a thing as an all black or "tuxedo" kilt?

yes you can get a black kilt, but it's more a fasion thing and not a traditional kilt.

me i wouldn't wear a plain black kilt..... that would look more like a skirt.:eek:

A kilt should really be in tartan. Although you do get self coloured green an orange Irish kilts as well.

They always say the test of a true scotsman is what is worn underneath!!

The answer to that is nothing its all in full working order!!:D

the answer to that question is .... go ask my wife.... yes the one over there with the big smile on her face... :D