trac phones

only3forfun

The trac phones are very inexpensive cell phones like a LG 200. They have a minutes card you purchase and put in. These are very handy for people who don't use the cell phone a lot. I think they deduct 30 seconds for a text message. I know I read that people buy them for cruises because of the cost factor. I think Target has them for $19.00.

You can also buy them direct from Trac.

Watch their sales during the holidays they are offering free double your minutes phones. Some times the phone is free. I have one that will take pictures.

I have one which every year I buy one year service card -- 200 + 200 + 100 extra or 500 minutes for $100.

I only use it when we travel, emergency, when I am doing the shopping & find something on sale. Never had a problem in getting service out of town or in USA ports.

Ray

Edited by JORAY

I have had a Tacfone for at least 8 years and have never had one problem. Made calls, as someone mentioned above, from St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, and most Hawaiian islands. They make calls from anywhere in the US. I have a friend who is on an expensive phone plan, and there are areas that her phone does not cover.

Tracfone replaced my origional one with a newer, smaller model--it does not take pictures or text--but is adequate for what I need. Currently, I have 1544 units--each year I add the Year card, get bonus minutes, and have trouble using them up. I do not believe that they can be used for calls FROM foreign countries, but can be programed, through the company, for calls TO foreign countries. Mine will do that, as it has been upgraded, but I usually e-mail relatives in Ireland/England and do not call.

Yes, you "get what you pay for"--my cost was origionally $15, but sometimes they are on sale for as low as $9.99. There are no contracts and they work as long as you have an active phone card. I have been told that they use other carrier's microtowers, or whatever. Someone said that in our area, it is ATT, but that is only rumor. Ciao!!hmh:)

Tracfone does not work outside the US. Here is the FAQ from there website.

http://www.auristechnology.com/tracfoneild/faqs_ild.asp

It is number 9.

• Can I make international calls on my TRACFONE cell phone when I am outside of the United States?
    No. TRACFONE cell phones don’t work outside of the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

• 2 weeks later...

What about aboard ship in, say, Alaska - or, close enough when ashore that you hit the ship's tower ?

Old postings say TracFone would kill your account as they couldn't charge you in any way but perhaps now they've figured a scheme to just charge more "minutes" for such calls ?

Anyone know ?

They DON'T work outside the US. If you are on a ship in the middle of the ocean then you are outside the US they wont work.

We were able to use it in St. .Thomas, because it is US. But, that was it.

Personally, I think the tracfone is a wonderful value. It costs me $100/year, for 400 min. I keep stockpiling them---have many more than I need!!

You might find this web site of interest.

Track the exact location of any cell phone in the world by entering the phone number. If you don't want to enter your own number, make one up or just leave the field blank and it will track a random number.

It tracks by using GPS and Google maps to show the exact location of the phone with a detailed photo of the area.

Try it. It works!

http://www.themobiletracker.com/english/index.html

We Ham radio operators know this stuff!!!:p

You might find this web site of interest.

Track the exact location of any cell phone in the world by entering the phone number.

Try it. It works!

http://www.themobiletracker.com/english/index.html

:p

Okay. Ya got me. At first I was amazed that my phone was being tracked, as it's not turned on. Now I see what you were getting at. ;)

Okay. Ya got me. At first I was amazed that my phone was being tracked, as it's not turned on.

Glad you liked it, Ruth. I was thinking it's so cool that I should start a new thread for it so more CCer's could take advantage of it.

What do you think. Should I?

Glad you liked it, Ruth. I was thinking it's so cool that I should start a new thread for it so more CCer's could take advantage of it.

What do you think. Should I?

Nah. Let's keep it our little secret. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Trac Phone as my personal cell, and it works better and has more easy to use features than the more expensive one my office issued me for work.

People are correct in saying that it will only work in the US and territories in the Caribbean. Did not have a trac phone when I was in Alaska so can't advise there.

More expensive isn't always better. I'm very pleased with my trac phone.

I might have to consider switching from Verizon to a Trac phone. I have the minimal Verizon plan which is 400 minutes....I doubt if I used 50 a month!! Now that is a waste.....but I can't imagine being without a cell....when I need it I need it!! I will keep watching this thread for info.

I carry a Trac phone and my wife has AT&T. I noticed on our last cruise that her phone connected to the ship's tower when we were at sea but mine did not. Since we did not make any calls from her phone while at sea, I can't even guess as to what the per minute charges would have been, but hers would have at least worked if we had needed to make any calls. My Trac phone apparently would not have worked.

We have had & used a TRAC phone for 4 to 5 years and we have now well over 1700 minutes built up, and for just around $10.00 per month it is very very cheap. By us only using a TV antenna & a TRAC phone is how we can afford to be able to cruise with you; and speaking of cruising how are you progressing with the tour research for our Asia-Australia Grand Voyage ???????

BUDD

and speaking of cruising how are you progressing with the tour research for our Asia-Australia Grand Voyage ???????

BUDD

LOL Haven't progress yet! BUT I am about to get started! Now that I have finished my book of the SPANZ (oh how I wish I could show it to you!) I am ready to start on Asia. In fact....my Fed Ex tracking number says that book in on the truck for delivery today. Driving me nuts looking out the window at every car I hear...not that I hear many....very quiet where I live.

KK

Long, long ago I believe I was the first one to say on these boards that our TRAC FONE was working "everywhere." :) WAY out to sea on a TA cruise, when they came on to say the towers had been activated, we were "down" inside the ship and thought it would be fun to awaken our friends back in Oregon EARLY. The "phone worked perfectly. It worked everywhere we were on that cruise. It uses the ship's towers, I guess, and they don't charge you more because a TRAC deducts just minutes.

We used it in Victoria (which is CANADA) and we used it in Mexico.

One place in Mexico I had to go into a calling center, pay 25 cents, call my Mother who then called me back................so, I'm saying calling "out" didn't work far south in Mexico.

The TRAC worked all over Alaska...........on land or on ship.........we were as far west at Seward last year..........excellent connections.

YES, I get what I pay for and MORE. I don't understand comments like that, either.:rolleyes: