Price drops for a cruise booked through a TA

Enigma1981

Good morning everyone,

Having only cruised once before, I need some insight on price drop for cruises.

We booked a last minute cruise for November on RCCL (interior guarantee, and we had a cabin assigned already) through an online TA.

The prices have dropped now so I called to see what could be done.

I was told my full payment was non-refundable so they wouldn't be able to refund me the difference. ok fine.

They also told me if I wanted to switch categories and upgrade to an oceanview, I could, for the same price but would lose my 25$/pp OBC.

Or, I could pay 71$ more and get a balcony guarantee!!!!! (and still lose the 25$/pp OBC.

From other websites I've looked at, there seems to be quite a few balconies still available for this cruise.

What should I do? Keep my cabin or upgrade to a balcony guarantee and hope we get a decent cabin assigned? (I don't really have interest on an oceanview room on deck 3)

Thank you!

Thank you for the quick replies!

I should mention the 71$ is for both of us, so about 35$ per person.

I'll have to talk to someone at the TA, to check and see how they would process the transaction.

Since I'm a Canadian resident, if they reimburse me, then charge again I might lose out on more money because of the foreign transaction fee and exchange rate.

If they can simply charge me an extra 71$ I will totally go for it. Let's hope it can be done.

Good morning everyone,

Having only cruised once before, I need some insight on price drop for cruises.

We booked a last minute cruise for November on RCCL (interior guarantee, and we had a cabin assigned already) through an online TA.

The prices have dropped now so I called to see what could be done.

I was told my full payment was non-refundable so they wouldn't be able to refund me the difference. ok fine.

They also told me if I wanted to switch categories and upgrade to an oceanview, I could, for the same price but would lose my 25$/pp OBC.

Or, I could pay 71$ more and get a balcony guarantee!!!!! (and still lose the 25$/pp OBC.

From other websites I've looked at, there seems to be quite a few balconies still available for this cruise.

What should I do? Keep my cabin or upgrade to a balcony guarantee and hope we get a decent cabin assigned? (I don't really have interest on an oceanview room on deck 3)

Thank you!

Balcony. No question. Ask for an aft.

Well the upgrade isn't happening. Apparently, the person I spoke to this morning, as well as the second agent I was speaking with misquoted the upgrade price. They were told by RCCI that this rate only applied to a new reservations and there's nothing the TA can do about it.

I'm pretty angry right now. Not only did I lose the upgrade I was offered, but the price I paid for my interior cabin has gone down.

Such is life I suppose.

Well the upgrade isn't happening. Apparently, the person I spoke to this morning, as well as the second agent I was speaking with misquoted the upgrade price. They were told by RCCI that this rate only applied to a new reservations and there's nothing the TA can do about it.

I'm pretty angry right now. Not only did I lose the upgrade I was offered, but the price I paid for my interior cabin has gone down.

Such is life I suppose.

RCI is very strict on no price drops after final but we have had reports of some getting around the new booking requirement. You may want to ask the TA to try again tho that X GTY price might be gone by now.

Such is life I suppose.

I would call your TA again and ask again for the rate you were originally quoted for the balcony guarantee upgrade. If you are told "no" again, ask to speak with their supervisor.

I have always been successful in getting RCI to waive that "rate applies for a new reservation" rule when you are paying an additional cruise fare for an upgraded stateroom (after the final payment date). I made my reservations directly with RCI (not through a non-RCI TA). One time I called to make the change, and I was told "no." I called back the next day and got another RCI agent, and she quickly made the change.

Thank you for the advice. I have a call in, waiting for a supervisor to call me back.

I am going to mention to her that not 1 but 2 of her employees told me that yes, I could get that upgrade. The last one I spoke to actually even took my cc information, then came back on the line 5 minutes later saying "sorry it's not going to be 71$ for the upgrade but 331$ because the rate you're seeing online only applies to new reservations". When I told him that NOWHERE on their website does it state that this rate is "only for new reservations" he said that maybe not, but RCCL won't honor the rate so there's nothing he can do and that next time instead of booking online I should call them directly. (Basically saying it's my fault I have a non-refundable rate?!)

I then told him to please re-instate my OBC that he took off for the upgrade, and he said ok i'll have to ask the cruiseline. Back on hold I went....for 20 minutes only to be hung up on.

I called back about an hour later (I was at work) and asked to speak to a supervisor, whom I was told was "in meetings". They took my information and am getting a call back today supposedly.

I don't think I'm out of line here asking the supervisor for a bit of OBC at a minimum, or to match the upgrade price I was quoted by not 1 but 2 of her TAs. And I will mention to her too the lack of customer service they are providing. If the TA would have called me back after the line cut off, but no, not even.

(Basically saying it's my fault I have a non-refundable rate?!)

You not getting the upgrade has nothing to do with your existing NRD rate - it has to do with the booking rules of the rate. But, having a booking directly with RCI may help with this issue by getting the TA out of the loop.

Yes, I've learned my lesson. Next time I'm booking directly with the cruiseline! :D

You not getting the upgrade has nothing to do with your existing NRD rate - it has to do with the booking rules of the rate. But, having a booking directly with RCI may help with this issue by getting the TA out of the loop.

Yes, I've learned my lesson. Next time I'm booking directly with the cruiseline! :D

I think that depends on the TA and the agency they are associated with. We've had very good luck with our TA going to bat for us.

Having same issue with my TA. Balcony X guarantee only $100 more than our inside. TA website showed price yesterday and TA called Royal and said we couldn't upgrade for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We might have the same TA :confused:

I'm still waiting for a callback. Let me know if you end up getting the upgrade!

Having same issue with my TA. Balcony X guarantee only $100 more than our inside. TA website showed price yesterday and TA called Royal and said we couldn't upgrade for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that depends on the TA and the agency they are associated with. We've had very good luck with our TA going to bat for us.

Thank you for the advice. I have a call in, waiting for a supervisor to call me back.

I agree with Bob. Sounds like you need to either find a new TA or deal directly with RCI (on new cruises booked). Unfortunately, you will have to deal with your current TA. Be persistent with the supervisor (and the supervisor's boss if necessary), and do not take "no" for an answer. Let us know if you are successful.

well, we got the balcony upgrade, for 35$/pp!!!! Plus, she gave me 25$ OBC from the agency so in all we're getting 75$ OBC.

She was very nice, and I explained to her my frustration with the wrong information that was given to me, the multiple phone hang ups etc and that's when she offered the 25$OBC. Not much, but will be enough to pay for 1 drink each as we sail away....ON OUR BALCONY!!!!

Thank you everyone for your support, advice and kind words. I am beyond excited now :D:D

Only 43 days left!!

well, we got the balcony upgrade, for 35$/pp!!!! Plus, she gave me 25$ OBC from the agency so in all we're getting 75$ OBC.

She was very nice, and I explained to her my frustration with the wrong information that was given to me, the multiple phone hang ups etc and that's when she offered the 25$OBC. Not much, but will be enough to pay for 1 drink each as we sail away....ON OUR BALCONY!!!!

Thank you everyone for your support, advice and kind words. I am beyond excited now :D:D

Only 43 days left!!

Congratulations on the balcony upgrade. Persistence does pay off.