Just a New York Cruise

oconnec8

Hi All,

Apologies if I'm looking in the wrong place. I want to book a cruise for my parents who have never been on a cruise before. They want to go to New York and New York only. Is is possible to sail to New York, stay there a few nights either on the ship or in a hotel, then sail back to England?

Any advice would really be appreciated,

Thanks

Almost. The Queen Mary 2 sails from Southampton to NYC in 7 days and turns around and returns to Southampton. If your parents want to spend time in NYC they would either have to wait for the ship to return in two weeks, or take a different ship on the inbound or outbound trip, most of which have more port stops than they would like.

Hi All,

Apologies if I'm looking in the wrong place. I want to book a cruise for my parents who have never been on a cruise before. They want to go to New York and New York only. Is is possible to sail to New York, stay there a few nights either on the ship or in a hotel, then sail back to England?

Thanks

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The Queen Mary 2 is the only ship doing regular transatlantic crossings. So with her, you can sail from Southhampton to NYC and then sail back. The choice would be to either immediately sail back, having just the part of the day the ship was in port to visit NYC or to stay in New York until a later crossing. I think the Crossing is 6 days, to they would have to wait 12 days, if the QM2 was just doing crossings at the time.

Hi All,

Thanks

It appears that the best way to get in both a cruise and a few nights in NY would be to fly one way and then cruise the other way. This way they could stay in NY as long as they like.

There are two or three occasions each year where the QM2 sails a westbound Transatlantic to New York, does a New England cruise of 5-12 days, and returns to England from New York. Cunard sometimes calls the long cruise a term like "Grand New England Soujourn" with the "Grand" in the title being the sign that there's a Transatlantic on each end. The Transatlantics can be booked individually, and the time for the shorter cruise in between can be used for a short stay in New York or elsewhere.

For example:

- Westbound TA M212 Leaves Southampton June 24, 2102, arriving in NYC on July 1

- Eastbound TA M214A Leaves NYC on July 6, arriving in Southampton on July 13

In between the ship does a five day "Fourth of July Getaway" to Halifax with an overnight in Boston over the 4th, Voyage M213

The entire string of three back-to-back-to-back cruises can be booked as the "North American Odyssey", Voyage M212A

Hi All,

Thanks

I checked Cunard.There's a cruise leaving England for NYC Sept 20 and another leaving NYC for England October 7. But they only have inside cabins left.They also have a 24 day cruise that starts Sept 20 in England and ends in England but it visits NYC for 1 day then goes to Canada, comes back, spends another day in NYC and then sails back to England. Then there's another cruise leaving Dec 12 that goes to NYC then the Carribean and then returns to England.

Check the Cunard site for the QM2 transatlanic calendar since the crossings are not made year round. QM2 generally makes TA crossings April-October. If your parents don't do this within the next couple of months they will have to wait until April 2012.

Cunard's QV and QE tend to only make repositioning crossings which means they would have Fort Lauderdale as their destinations rather than New York. They are not ocean liners and a crossing can be a very rough experience on a ship not specifically designed to handle the north Atlantic.

A couple of years ago we did the TA trip from Southampton to NYC, arriving on 1st July, just in time for my birthday (good timing!) and it included an amazing river trip to see the July 4th fireworks on the Hudson. We had several days to explore New York (from a very central hotel on 42nd Street / Times Square) and then sailed back on July 6th. It was Cunard, on the QM2 which really is an ocean liner rather than a cruise ship - rock steady in high seas! We booked through Readers Offers and had a splendid vacation :)

Archived