Just witnessed first hand the importance of checking you have your documents!

Jacs

We have just boarded the Radiance in Sydney, and at the check in counter the poor family next to be realized that they had left their sons passport in the photocopier at home :( I felt devastated for them, it's such an easy thing to do, and something I have nearly done myself had I not been a vigilant checker. I'm not sure what will happen, it's not like a US closed loop cruise you need your passport, and they were from Canberra so not able to have someone bring it to the port quickly :(

So a reminder to everyone, always check you have your passport on you every time you leave somewhere, home, the plane, the taxi, the hotel, everywhere!

We have just boarded the Radiance in Sydney, and at the check in counter the poor family next to be realized that they had left their sons passport in the photocopier at home :( I felt devastated for them, it's such an easy thing to do, and something I have nearly done myself had I not been a vigilant checker. I'm not sure what will happen, it's not like a US closed loop cruise you need your passport, and they were from Canberra so not able to have someone bring it to the port quickly :(

So a reminder to everyone, always check you have your passport on you every time you leave somewhere, home, the plane, the taxi, the hotel, everywhere!

i feel sorry for the people but if the cruise is going to an overseas port they wont be alllowed to cruise

Unless they can get an urgent passport

( for urgent read 2 days and lots of money) ,

they may have to drive back home,

pick up the passport then join the ship at the first port of call.

oh oh...just did a google, and first port of call is Noumea on Tuesday:eek:

Unless they can get an urgent passport

( for urgent read 2 days and lots of money) ,

they may have to drive back home,

pick up the passport then join the ship at the first port of call.

oh oh...just did a google, and first port of call is Noumea on Tuesday:eek:

Would they be able to fly to Noumea, check-in and board?:confused:

Would they be able to fly to Noumea, check-in and board?:confused:

Yes . There would be no refund of unused days and they would miss 3 days of the cruise plus it would cost the air fare and depending on timetables probably an overnight hotel in Noumea so they dont miss the ship again.:rolleyes:

An expensive excercise.:eek::eek:

Yes . There would be no refund of unused days and they would miss 3 days of the cruise plus it would cost the air fare and depending on timetables probably an overnight hotel in Noumea so they dont miss the ship again.:rolleyes:

An expensive excercise.:eek::eek:

Thanks Kiwi Kruzer. Interesting to know, just in case.

All may not be lost...just thinking on a bit...if they had taken a copy of the passport and have that copy with them, that may suffice, (pending filling in lots of declaration forms). Depends on the Authorities I guess.

The lady did say at the desk that she had the photocopy, but the check in people said that it wouldn't suffice for the passport control people :( I'm hoping maybe they had enough time to get someone from home to go to their place, get the passport and run to the airport to fly it to Sydney for them. There was still 3 hours before the end of check in when this happened. Otherwise maybe one parent got on with 1 child, and the other went home to get the passport with the other child to join in Noumea. I really hope they could work something out, the poor women was so upset :(

Another reason I like to check in early as well.

If this happened 7 hours before sailing they have some chance, if it happened 2 hours before no hope.

But the big lesson is check, check and check again. Then ask herself to check.

The lady did say at the desk that she had the photocopy, but the check in people said that it wouldn't suffice for the passport control people :( I'm hoping maybe they had enough time to get someone from home to go to their place, get the passport and run to the airport to fly it to Sydney for them. There was still 3 hours before the end of check in when this happened. Otherwise maybe one parent got on with 1 child, and the other went home to get the passport with the other child to join in Noumea. I really hope they could work something out, the poor women was so upset :(

Terrible for the whole family, I bet they never make that mistake again.

All may not be lost...just thinking on a bit...if they had taken a copy of the passport and have that copy with them, that may suffice, (pending filling in lots of declaration forms). Depends on the Authorities I guess.

Even if the cruise line in their kindness could accept a copy as far as identifying the passenger, customs would demand the original. Sorry.

Even if the cruise line in their kindness could accept a copy as far as identifying the passenger, customs would demand the original. Sorry.

So what happens if you lose your passport or its stolen while you are overseas. We are all told to have a copy. Is that of no use to you ?

So what happens if you lose your passport or its stolen while you are overseas. We are all told to have a copy. Is that of no use to you ?

The copy will help you in getting a replacement. They MAY even use it to check details and let you back in to Australia if you loose it last minute.

Yes it is of use. The photocopy can be used by the authorities in which ever country - officialdom anyway - to get emergency documents. That is my assumption - I did read a posting some long time ago where someone had a handbag stolen in Singapore with their passports inside - but they had copies in a neck pouch thing. But couldn't re board the ship (Costa Allegra) until they had replacement documents - luckily they had insurance - which meant a hotel stop over and transport to the next port when they got their documents. The posting was by Paul & Cathy way back in 2008/9 on the Costa Board. (I don't know how to link a posting - otherwise I would have flicked it on here.)

Edited by dizzy1948

I disagree. I had my handbag stolen on our trip to the UK last year. Because we were touring by car my passport was in my handbag.

We made a special trip up to London from Brighton to go to NZ House to arrange a new passport. Although I had a photocopy of my stolen passport and was standing right in front of them they would not proceed with issuing a new passport until I could get the forms signed by another NZ citizen to verify I was who I said I was. Unfortunately DH is Australian so he couldn't help, and the passport office staff member seemed quite astonished that we knew no-one in London who could witness my photo. If fact she was very unhelpful and rude.

I would have expected all passport information to be online so that people standing in front of a passport office staff member could be identified simply by comparing the picture online with the person. Obviously not.

Luckily we still had a few weeks to go before we flew back home so I was able to get the forms witnessed and sent back to the UK and my new passport was ready when we arrived back in London ready to fly home.

Losing your passport while you are oversea is a different scenario to someone leaving Australia and starting a cruise without one..

Edited by gbenjo

Losing your passport while you are oversea is a different scenario to someone leaving Australia and starting a cruise without one..

Just hope all works out for these people - I guess we'll never know.

Edited by dizzy1948

Having copies of all your travel docs is helpfull if you loose something or have them stolen, it gives you some proof of existence and has all your relevant information to fax to somebody in case of emergency, when you are a long way from home every bit helps.

Copies of passports will not get you on a ship or in or out of a foreign country but it could help in the process of battling with big brother trying to get a replacement.

When I carry my passport I make sure I have on a shirt with a button up pocket to carry it in.

Just hope all works out for these people - I guess we'll never know.

Yes you will:). I checked today with the pier co-ordinator from last Monday and she advised me that the guests were able to get the sons passport to the terminal in time for them all to sail, so in this instance, a good outcome........and a valuable lesson learned.

Yes you will:). I checked today with the pier co-ordinator from last Monday and she advised me that the guests were able to get the sons passport to the terminal in time for them all to sail, so in this instance, a good outcome........and a valuable lesson learned.

Thanks for the update. Its great to hear good news. I am so glad it worked out OK for them. A valuable lesson indeed ....for all of us.:)

Thanks for that - I am so pleased for them - love happy endings - they won't even know we have all been concerned - but who cares - they made it YEAH!!!:D

Prizes for guessing what they DON'T FORGET TO CHECK next time :p;)

Edited by dizzy1948