Chikungunya Fever Rampant In Caribbean

nique2285

I have a cruise on November 30 on the Independence of the seas. Has anyone heard of Chikungunya Fever? The article my dad sent me says it is rampant in the Caribbean, especially the three islands I'm going to. The CDC says it won't kill you just sideline you for a week :eek:. Should I stay on the ship? What can I do?

Edited by nique2285

According to the CDC it's "level 1" - which I imagine is the lowest level of possible problems.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/chikungunya-saint-martin

If the info your dad got was from any kind of normal news source it was probably blown way out of proportion.

The CDC article is probably much more balanced. Sounds like mosquito repellants with DEET work fairly well. And the odds are you're not going to be going deep in the jungle where mosquitoes would be more of a problem.

We stayed in San Juan a few days before our cruise and even they are taking some precautions.... Bug Spray! Each port we stopped at in the Caribbean the guides recommended spraying on some OFF with Deet... no bites, no fever and I didn't hear of anyone getting sick. I didnt' even feel as though there were A LOT of bugs, etc... but we sprayed anyway and we were fine. Buy a bottle at first stop, or before and take it with you.

It's a mosquito-borne illness....you are unlikely to encounter mosquitoes in the daytime....if you were camping in the "wilds", then you should worry.

One of the oddities about chikungunya is that the mosquito vectors (Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus) are active and biting during the day, especially in the morning. Which is to say they are not crepuscular.

Here's the informative NYT piece on this which advises awareness not panic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/09/travel/a-mosquito-borne-virus-sweeps-the-caribbean.html?_r=0