Atlantic weather experience - January

Dajo5601

Have a very tempting offer for the first leg of the QV World cruise in January, three days to the Azores and then five days across to Fort Lauderdale, any any experience of typical weather expectations in those waters in January - thanks in anticipation.

Have a very tempting offer for the first leg of the QV World cruise in January, three days to the Azores and then five days across to Fort Lauderdale, any any experience of typical weather expectations in those waters in January - thanks in anticipation.

We are talking the North Atlantic in January... We pays our money and takes our chances. Obviously as you head towards Florida the weather will improve but will we have snow and gale force winds here in the UK at that time of year?

These beautiful ships are HUGE with excellent stabilisers plus the latest equipment to keep them from rolling too much. The flagship is 'huge-er' and more stable but my thoughts are this is a great way to spend our cold winter. Enjoy the ride and just think how cold folks will be in the Pennines ;):(

We are crossing the Atlantic a few days later, but steering a more Northerly course

We are talking the North Atlantic in January... We pays our money and takes our chances. Obviously as you head towards Florida the weather will improve but will we have snow and gale force winds here in the UK at that time of year?

These beautiful ships are HUGE with excellent stabilisers plus the latest equipment to keep them from rolling too much. The flagship is 'huge-er' and more stable but my thoughts are this is a great way to spend our cold winter. Enjoy the ride and just think how cold folks will be in the Pennines ;):(

We are crossing the Atlantic a few days later, but steering a more Northerly course

Just remember the QV/QE are cruise ships, not liners. The QV pitched quite a bit in the Caribbean heading towards the Panama Canal. this wasn't even in rough seas, just a moderate sea.

Just remember the QV/QE are cruise ships, not liners. The QV pitched quite a bit in the Caribbean heading towards the Panama Canal. this wasn't even in rough seas, just a moderate sea.
Hi Keith,

I am someone who believes we all have the right to air our own opinions regarding the ride of any ship and I fully accept what you are saying..

I have also had the priviledge of reading a brilliant thread by someone who has recently travelled on the exact same ship... the Queen Victoria. This person had a cabin as far forward as is posssible for a fare paying passenger and to me this is where we will all experience the largest degree of pitching. I believe this passenger was very impressed with how smooth\comfortable the experience was, even in 'seasonal' weather. We are all individuals, we all have different tolerances, but all ships will rise when confronted with even the slightest of swells!!!

I have also just watched the best video I have ever seen of the QM2 crossing the Atlantic. Amazing footage that put me on the ship but.... Even in the calmest of seas I could clearly see the ship moving. By moving I mean pitching or rising with the swell as it passes under the ship.

Only an idiot would suggest or pretend that a Vista class ship would offer a ride as smooth as we would experience on this liner but... In my opinion pitching is part and parcel of any sea voyage!!! we canna defy the laws of fizzics Jim!

Vista class ships allegedly vibrate\flex far more than the QM2 ;) and to me that would be common sense but I bow to those with more technical experience.

Did you decide to book ?. We are in the same dilemma !

We were on the QE in January from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale via Madeira. The seas were fairly calm throughout the crossing and the weather was mild enough to sit on the balcony and walk around the open decks from day 2.

We were on this voyage too and according to my diary, we were able to sit out comfortably from Madeira. Indeed, we decided to stay on board in Madeira as it was a gloriously hot day even up on the top deck.

I did a transatlantic with QV from Southampton to New York in January 2011. As it was said before, it's the North Atlantic and QV is not a liner! We had heavy storm for 2 or 3 days and I remember that, after it had become quieter, the Captain gave the position and the conditions one morning and it was still 60 knots, so I was wondering what it had been before. Anyway, she did it well but I was happy to be back on my QM2 after that. This should not discourage you ... Cunard ships are safe and I would do it again (if QM2 should not be available :D).

Bon voyage!

I did a transatlantic with QV from Southampton to New York in January 2011. As it was said before, it's the North Atlantic and QV is not a liner! We had heavy storm for 2 or 3 days and I remember that, after it had become quieter, the Captain gave the position and the conditions one morning and it was still 60 knots, so I was wondering what it had been before. Anyway, she did it well but I was happy to be back on my QM2 after that. This should not discourage you ... Cunard ships are safe and I would do it again (if QM2 should not be available :D).

Bon voyage!

I was watching you swing and sway from the decks of the QUEEN ELIZABETH as we made that "Tandem Crossing" to the Big Apple. The day or two before arrival in New York was particularly glorious. The seas were, "boisterous," as Capt. Bates was want to say. Snow was in the air and ice on deck. I well remember the brilliant blue skies, bone numbing temperatures, and the mounds of dirty snow along the streets the day we landed at the Manhattan piers.

I was watching you swing and sway from the decks of the QUEEN ELIZABETH as we made that "Tandem Crossing" to the Big Apple. The day or two before arrival in New York was particularly glorious. The seas were, "boisterous," as Capt. Bates was want to say. Snow was in the air and ice on deck. I well remember the brilliant blue skies, bone numbing temperatures, and the mounds of dirty snow along the streets the day we landed at the Manhattan piers.

How nice to hear from a "fellow passenger" - this brings back wonderful memories! I remember that QE could almost constantly be watched from QV while crossing the North Atlantic, and I also remember the parade of the three Queens while all of Manhattan was illuminated ... it was freeeezing cold and an icy wind blew over deck 7 of QM2 where I filmed this great scenery. Simply unforgettable!

Greetings

Cats2010 :)

We sailed on the first leg of P&O Arcadia World cruise in the first week of January 2011. Arcadia is basically the same Vista class as QE and QV.

We ran headlong into a HUGE Force11 storm on our way to the Azores (which was cancelled) and had to sail direct to the Caribbean for 7 days. For 24 hours, the Captain had to slow the ship to only 10 knots as we were heading directly into the 12 metre waves.

I believe that the Atlantic is very much a matter of "hot or miss'" in winter

http://ukagain2010.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/mid-winter-mid-atlantic-force-11-gale.html

http://ukagain2010.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/7-days-at-sea.html

Barry

We sailed on the first leg of P&O Arcadia World cruise in the first week of January 2011. Arcadia is basically the same Vista class as QE and QV.

We ran headlong into a HUGE Force11 storm on our way to the Azores (which was cancelled) and had to sail direct to the Caribbean for 7 days. For 24 hours, the Captain had to slow the ship to only 10 knots as we were heading directly into the 12 metre waves.

http://ukagain2010.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/mid-winter-mid-atlantic-force-11-gale.html

Barry

:) Having lived here over looking the Western Approaches, I can honestly say the weather will most definitely be very much... 'Hit or Miss'

Tomorrow and Monday will see the worse weather of the year and by that I am including any weather from January onwards.. We are still in late October and to confirm what I am saying these services have been cancelled:

Sunday 27th October - Roscoff to Plymouth 16:30hrs - We are sorry to advise that due to bad weather, this sailing on the Armorique has been cancelled.

Sunday 27th October - Plymouth to Roscoff 23:00hrs - We are sorry to advise that due to bad weather, this sailing on the Armorique has been cancelled.

The size of this ship is not to be underestimated (22542gross tonnage) and they do not get cancelled that often!

Anyone that can predict weather conditions here on the Western Approaches (Eastern side of the Atlantic) months ahead of a sail date is at best being ambitious :)

Hopefully no one is departing out of Southampton tomorrow and heading toward either the Mediterranean or the USA\Canada. I say this as they will be heading into the worse sea conditions of the year.

John

We crossed the Atlantic in January 2011 on Queen Elizabeth, it was her maiden crossing the start of her first world cruise. We crossed in tandem with QV. The last two days before reaching New York we had a huge storm. Force 11 gales. Very exciting! Both ships handled very well and we reached New York which was knee deep in snow.

You can not predict the weather so far ahead, but having crossed the Atlantic numerous times in January I can say no two times were the same.Also going the route to Madeira you reach warmer weather sooner than doing a trans Atlantic to New York.

I would book the cruise and enjoy the ship and the experience. Queen Victoria handles well in bad weather, I was on her maiden world cruise crossing in 2008 and we had sunshine most of the way. Left on the 5 th January and had super weather till we again reached New York where it is always very cold at that time of the year.

Go for it !!!!!

As you can see, many of us 'loiterers' were on the Jan 2011 QE/QV tandem crossing and had a glorious time. A good few are booked to sail again in January next year.

If you're lucky enough to get some big waves, find a good seat and enjoy the show - I recommend the Britannia restaurant.

(Maybe as 'insurance' pack some travel sickness tablets.)

Barry

Technically speaking the QE is Signature class Cruise ship

and QV is Vista class Cruise Ship ;)

Go for it !!!!!

As you can see, many of us 'loiterers' were on the Jan 2011 QE/QV tandem crossing and had a glorious time. A good few are booked to sail again in January next year.

If you're lucky enough to get some big waves, find a good seat and enjoy the show - I recommend the Britannia restaurant.

(Maybe as 'insurance' pack some travel sickness tablets.)

I wonder if this season the Queen Elizabeth will steam down the channel in company with the flagship? ;)

:....

Hopefully no one is departing out of Southampton tomorrow and heading toward either the Mediterranean or the USA\Canada. I say this as they will be heading into the worse sea conditions of the year.

John

Crown Princess was due to sail from Southampton today, but is staying in Southampton until at least Monday - could be later (http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1934640)

And I have heard that Independence of the Seas - also sailing today on a 4 day cruise - is no longer going to Belgium, and going straight across to Le Havre where she will stay until Monday.

Crown Princess was due to sail from Southampton today, but is staying in Southampton until at least Monday - could be later (http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1934640)

And I have heard that Independence of the Seas - also sailing today on a 4 day cruise - is no longer going to Belgium, and going straight across to Le Havre where she will stay until Monday.

Not good news and I am sorry to hear that. Just checked and Independence is due into Le Havre at 2300hrs UTC (she looks to be in sight of the French coast and is plodding long at 14knots.

Adventure of the Seas is steaming by us now at just over 18knots and is due to arrive at Southampton in a few hours time at 0225hrs UTC

A number of ships have now anchored in Torbay sheltering from the weather and I am guessing that these numbers will increase overnight and tomorrow :(

We live on a headland and this afternoon my wife was telling me the wind was making it very difficult to stay on your feet when trying to walk in the direction the wind is blowing and it will be getting worse tomorrow. :(

As we all keep saying, the weather in the Eastern part of the Atlantic will do whatever it feels like doing, whenever it feels like doing it :)

We sailed on the QE2 from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale... via The Azores.

Very choppy through the Bay of Biscay.... Then the Azores. very good day trips.

The next few days we loved watching the flying fish scattering from the ships bow waves..

This was in december choppy then fantastic

Some people have posted severe weather is afoot in in the South/West

The forecast is not good...Batten down the hatches..

The next 2 or three days are going to be eventful for all............

Sian..

This storm is huge and powerful. It is heading toward the UK and Atlantic Europe.It is coming from Greenland. It's a slow moving one. There are warnings up through October 30. 28 ft waves and up

best to stay in port

Hi Turquoise,

This is a live footprint of weather conditions in our part of the World.

weather_zps6183f897.jpg

red is bad, PURPLE is 'badder!!!'

That storm is also slowly moving towards out coast!!! :eek:

Staying in port!!

Contraversial topic.. When Storm Sandy run amok there were countless cruise ships in its path and most decided to put to sea and ride this storm out! The really big cruise ships that were in harbour and closest to that storm put to sea, minus passengers and simply rode the thing out!

I believe the Queen Mary 2 left New York early as that harbour was closing and if she had not left when she did.... She would have been confined to that location for an extended period of time. The last place any ship wants to be during a storm, is confined waters where she might be at risk! (Just me thinking aloud)

Hi Turquoise,

This is a live footprint of weather conditions in our part of the World.

weather_zps6183f897.jpg

red is bad, PURPLE is 'badder!!!'

That storm is also slowly moving towards out coast!!! :eek:

Staying in port!!

Contraversial topic.. When Storm Sandy run amok there were countless cruise ships in its path and most decided to put to sea and ride this storm out! The really big cruise ships that were in harbour and closest to that storm put to sea, minus passengers and simply rode the thing out!

I believe the Queen Mary 2 left New York early as that harbour was closing and if she had not left when she did.... She would have been confined to that location for an extended period of time. The last place any ship wants to be during a storm, is confined waters where she might be at risk! (Just me thinking aloud)

Wow wow. That is one massive storm!

A lot of purple.

Thank you for the map

How many ships are in Southampton ?

I can't imagine how this will affect the English Coast

Hi Turquoise

Just had a quick peep at Southampton and Crown Princess plus Adventure of the Seas are there but don't forget I mentioned last night that Adventure of the Seas arrived as scheduled at 2am this morning.

The channel is still quite busy but today is not usually a day we see many cruise ships transitting this location.

weather1_zps19e5fdc8.jpg

Red = Tankers

Green = Cargo

I have hopefully left the names attached and up in the top left centre you might make out Torbay and the ships that are taking shelter.

My thoughts are that the cruise industry is very conscious that there 'cargo' does not appreciate the ups and downs of a life afloat, whereas the cargo side of life will only shelter or divert when conditions really dictate this.

You and I can appreciate how rough conditions are and it beggars believe that our local lifeboat has just launched to rescue a swimmer in distress!! It beggars belief and I fear I am not possibly as sympathetic towards that type of idiot.

Quick update the swimmer has been rescued by the SAR heko and is being rushed to the nearest hospital!!

Hi Turquoise

Just had a quick peep at Southampton and Crown Princess plus Adventure of the Seas are there but don't forget I mentioned last night that Adventure of the Seas arrived as scheduled at 2am this morning.

The channel is still quite busy but today is not usually a day we see many cruise ships transitting this location.

weather1_zps19e5fdc8.jpg

Red = Tankers

Green = Cargo

I have hopefully left the names attached and up in the top left centre you might make out Torbay and the ships that are taking shelter.

My thoughts are that the cruise industry is very conscious that there 'cargo' does not appreciate the ups and downs of a life afloat, whereas the cargo side of life will only shelter or divert when conditions really dictate this.

You and I can appreciate how rough conditions are and it beggars believe that our local lifeboat has just launched to rescue a swimmer in distress!! It beggars belief and I fear I am not possibly as sympathetic towards that type of idiot.

Quick update the swimmer has been rescued by the SAR heko and is being rushed to the nearest hospital!!

A swimmer? Can't imagine anyone doing that

Great map. Yes indeed I agree with you

Wow wow. That is one massive storm!

A lot of purple.

Thank you for the map

How many ships are in Southampton ?

I can't imagine how this will affect the English Coast

Crown Princess is staying in Southampton overnight and expected to leave tomorrow (Monday) night and will miss out Le Havre.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5594#

Archived