Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old July 15th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Do medications have to be in the original bottles?

Has anyone had any problems with non-prescription meds not being in the original bottles? We wanted to pack our vitamins for instance but just wanted to bring a weeks worth and not that huge bottle.

Thanks!

Old July 15th, 2010, 02:17 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray328 View Post
Has anyone had any problems with non-prescription meds not being in the original bottles? We wanted to pack our vitamins for instance but just wanted to bring a weeks worth and not that huge bottle.

Thanks!
I'd like to know the answer to this too. For my cruise last year my coworker said they had to be, but nobody ever checked, so I'm really unsure. I have some sample packs of my meds that i'd rather bring, since they are smaller/less weight/compact but if they'll be taken away from me, then I can't.

Prior cruises:

Summit - Celebrity - Caribbean/Repo to San Juan - 10/19/2014 - Cabin 8046
Silhouette - Celebrity - Mediterranean - 5/16/2014 (Honeymoon cruise!) - Cabin 1243
Oasis of the Seas - Royal Caribbean - Western Caribbean - 12/7/2013 - Cabin 8151 (Wedding cruise!)
Summit - Celebrity - Canada/New England - 10/05/2013 - Cabin 8046

Reflection - Celebrity - Mediterranean - 10/12/2012 - Cabin 8279
Equinox - Celebrity - Mediterranean - 10/10/2011 - Cabin 8279
Nieuw Amsterdam - Holland America - Mediterranean - 10/6/2010 - Cabin 5051
Seabourn Spirit - Seabourn - Mediterranean - 10/10/2009 - Cabin 322

Holland America

Old July 15th, 2010, 02:20 AM
10,000+ Club

If you are flying into or out of the country, I would say yes. Bring the bottle, but in it only what you will need so you can throw it away before you come home. If you are only flying domestically, I think not. For prescription meds, if mine are in a larger bottle, I go to the pharmacist and ask for a smaller bottle with prescription and label to put in just what I need. EM
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights Inside
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich 27 nights OV/Concierge
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012 24 nights Inside
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean 14 nights Concierge/Inside/Inside
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL 10 nights Mini-suite
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona 13 nights Concierge
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas 5 nights OV
Queen Mary 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights 11 nights Balcony
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan 13 nights OV/Balcony
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean 7 nights Inside
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska Inside
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean 14 nights Inside
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic 16 nights Cove balcony
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas 3 nights inside
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada 14 nights 4J inside
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights OV
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas 5 nights Inside
Queen Elizabeth 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice 12 nights OV
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas 4 nights Porthole
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas 5 nights Inside
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN 1 night Inside
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas 10 nights Inside
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda 7 nights OV
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles 4 nights Inside
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights Balcony
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic 14 nights Balcony
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas 4 nights Porthole
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus 14 nights OV
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights

Old July 15th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. I just didn't want to get accused of buying some illegal drugs and trying to smuggle them home. Anyone watch that show "Locked Up Abroad"...Yikes!

Old July 15th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

I would think the airport authorities can tell the difference between crack cocaine and calcium LOL Well I hope they do cause I am bringing mine in a baggie the calcium that is!

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bottles not needed to fly

Take it from a woman who has flown into and out of 26 airports since 1991: The original bottle is not required to fly in the U.S. with prescription medications. If anybody needed the original bottle for a domestic flight, the TSA people were not doing their jobs right. It has been this way every time I traveled anywhere during the last 20 years: I fully loaded weekly pill boxes with seperate compartments for each does and a pocket-size pill box containing one dose. For my first cruise, I will fill all four pocket pill boxes to capacity. I know the OP did not ask about prescription drugs, but for anyone who cares, I never go anywhere with my prescriptions. With extra pills in my backpack that is not necessary when I travel. I would treat all nonprescription drugs the same way if I had to take them.

Looking forward to cruising!

Old July 15th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Please note!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveTraveler View Post
Take it from a woman who has flown into and out of 26 airports since 1991: The original bottle is not required to fly in the U.S. with prescription medications. If anybody needed the original bottle for a domestic flight, the TSA people were not doing their jobs right. It has been this way every time I traveled anywhere during the last 20 years: I fully loaded weekly pill boxes with seperate compartments for each does and a pocket-size pill box containing one dose. For my first cruise, I will fill all four pocket pill boxes to capacity. I know the OP did not ask about prescription drugs, but for anyone who cares, I never go anywhere with my prescriptions. With extra pills in my backpack that is not necessary when I travel. I would treat all nonprescription drugs the same way if I had to take them.
Actually, many travelers (including me) have had very different experiences, especially in the past few years.

You can read all sorts of suggestions and opinions about traveling with meds on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...174&highlight=

HTH!

Ruth

I'm a happy VEGAN cruiser!

Questions about visiting Israel? Check out this CC thread:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=913621

Old July 15th, 2010, 05:36 AM
50,000+ Club

I would not worry about taking vitamins out of original bottles.

Keith

Old July 15th, 2010, 07:50 AM
5,000+ Club

You can pack any nonessential meds..or vitamins..or supplements..however you want. If they are confiscated, being "non essential" will simply mean you won't have them for your trip.

Otherwise, any meds should be in their original bottles, prescription firmly attached..and you should carry copies of the prescriptions with you, in case you lose the meds.

Yes, I know that "TSA officials aren't doing their job" if they confiscate your vitamins. But -- do you really want to stand around and argue with them?? I don't. I just want to pass through security with as few hassles as possible, and get on with my vacation.

So go ahead, tell me that I go overboard -- but anything that looks like it could be a med is in it's original bottle. If it's an over-the-counter thing, I buy the smallest available container, and keep it in that bottle. Any prescriptions are in their original containers, with back-up copies of the prescriptions available. And I always take more than just the number I'll need for the cruise, to account for any delays (on our last vacation we ended up having to stay 5 days longer than anticipated -- volcano in Iceland -- so having my meds with me meant I didn't have to run around in a foreign country trying to find substitutes, and arranging international confirmation of what I needed.).

Old July 15th, 2010, 11:54 AM
5,000+ Club

The TSA website states that medications do not have to be in original containers. Therefore it seems okay to have your pills in the daily dose containers.

Old July 15th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie51 View Post
The TSA website states that medications do not have to be in original containers. Therefore it seems okay to have your pills in the daily dose containers.
Yes, but many TSA agents are more diligent than just 'going by what's in the book' (I'm probably one of the few people who welcome that extra diligence ) . And, as uppitycats pointed out: Do you really want to stand around and argue with them? In any case, it's always wise to have some proof/evidence of what the pills actually are- whether it's a copy of the original prescription, or a label on the bottle.

As I mentioned in my previous post, if you check this thread on this subject
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...174&highlight= you'll find that many people have run into that extra vigilance on their travels.

And- if you are flying internationally, then when you enter (or re-enter) the US, you have to go thru immigration and customs- and their rules are definitely more 'strict' than those of the TSA.

Last edited by happy trailer; July 15th, 2010 at 12:27 PM.

Old July 15th, 2010, 01:09 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie51 View Post
It is more likely that crossing borders in foreign countries they would question 'pills', whether they are controlled substances, etc. 'Tis better to be safe than without necessary meds. EM
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights Inside
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich 27 nights OV/Concierge
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012 24 nights Inside
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean 14 nights Concierge/Inside/Inside
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL 10 nights Mini-suite
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona 13 nights Concierge
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas 5 nights OV
Queen Mary 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights 11 nights Balcony
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan 13 nights OV/Balcony
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean 7 nights Inside
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska Inside
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean 14 nights Inside
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic 16 nights Cove balcony
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas 3 nights inside
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada 14 nights 4J inside
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights OV
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas 5 nights Inside
Queen Elizabeth 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice 12 nights OV
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas 4 nights Porthole
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas 5 nights Inside
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN 1 night Inside
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas 10 nights Inside
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda 7 nights OV
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles 4 nights Inside
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights Balcony
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic 14 nights Balcony
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas 4 nights Porthole
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus 14 nights OV
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights

Old July 15th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essiesmom View Post
It is more likely that crossing borders in foreign countries they would question 'pills', whether they are controlled substances, etc. 'Tis better to be safe than without necessary meds. EM
EXCELLENT point! I also double check to make sure each container my meds are in (and vitamins, too) include the generic name on the label.

As far as over the counter meds or vitamins, I only travel with small, still sealed bottles. (Yes, I toss each open one before I go on to the next country.) I prefer to travel as hassle and fret free as possible.

(One of the plusses of the way meds are packaged here - each pill is in its own 'bubble' in a foil strip which is printed with both its commercial and generic name- is that no matter which country I'm about to enter, I'm reasonably confident that security/immigration will believe that the pills are what I claim.)

Old July 15th, 2010, 03:20 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveTraveler View Post
You have been lucky so far. My husband flies over 100,000 miles a year for business and has been stopped multiple times at TSA checkpoints and had his med bag checked. He always has all pills in their original containers and other than a minor inconvenience of waiting as they read all the labels, he has been allowed through and made his flights. Whether the TSA person is doing their job "right" is irrelevant, if they want you to miss your flight, they can make it happen very easily.

Old July 15th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have been on 15 cruises in the past 5 years, always carry the meds. same as at home in a pill container labeled for each day. We have flown to Europe, cruised all over the Caribean and never once has anyone questioned what was in the pill containers. The only one I know who was stopped was my brother when he went to Saudi and again when he returned.

Old July 15th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikensbest View Post
We have been on 15 cruises in the past 5 years, always carry the meds. same as at home in a pill container labeled for each day. We have flown to Europe, cruised all over the Caribean and never once has anyone questioned what was in the pill containers. The only one I know who was stopped was my brother when he went to Saudi and again when he returned.
Yes, many people do not have problems, but it's best to be cautious in case you are one of those whose medications are questioned (and, you do know someone who was stopped). You could have been questioned when entering Europe, but as it's likely you left your pills in your stateroom while cruising the Caribbean, then the only time you might have been in a situation that could have involved questioning on those trips would have been at your final disembarkation (and it sounds like your pill containers were probably empty at that point).

Here's part of what I wrote on the other thread:

"I was on the road for over two months last fall to several countries, including entering and leaving the US a few times. I had packed all my meds and vitamins in an insulated bag in my carry on.

There must have been a half dozen times when at the TSA (or similar) check I had to open my carry on, take out and open that med bag, and show them each individual prescription. I also had to explain why I was carrying so much medication with me- one time I even had to show them all my airline tickets to prove that the medicine was for my own personal use."

So, as several of us have been saying- you may have never had a problem, but we'd add the word 'yet' to that, and suggest it's better to be safe than sorry.

Old July 15th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Never had a problem with my meds out of their original bottle, but that's just my personal experience.

UP NEXT:
NCL Sun - February 2015
Tampa, Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya & Cozumel

NCL Pearl - March 2016
Miami, Columbia, Panama Canal, Costa Rica, Honduras, Belize, Costa May

NCL Sun - January 2014
Miami, St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia & St. Maarten
NCL Sun - December 2011
Orlando, Nassua, San Juan, St. Thomas & GSC
NCL Sky - November 2010
Miami, Grand Bahama Island, Nassau & GSC
NCL Pearl - December 2008
Miami, Roatan, Belize City, Cozumel & Key West
NCL Dawn - January 2008
Miami, Samana, Tortola, St.Thomas & GSC

Old July 15th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

There are several threads on this topic, but my personal opinion is that you don't have to have the original bottles...carrying a print out of the Rx is a great idea...TSA does not require the original bottle though of course they may ask you about pills you have with you. I have flown all over the world and never had an issue with having my medication out of the bottles...again, just my opinion. In another thread here there are some links that talk about taking an Rx that is a narcotic...in that case I would take the original bottle, but I wouldn't for vitamins or even the Rx I take. It's really up to you and what you feel comfortable with, but I can tell you I have researched it recently after so many posts on the subject and wanting to make sure I wasn't doing anything illegal, and I can't find a single thing that says they have to be in their original bottles (other than narcotics). If you are going to a specific country, I would definitely research for yourself any laws for that particular place.
RCI Grandeur 2009
CCL Freedom 2010
CCL Pride 2011
CCL Elation 2012
CCL Pride 2012
CCL Fantasy 2013

Old July 15th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default no one has ever questionned meds

DH and I have travelled all over the world both by air and cruises. I usualy put both my RX meds and OTC meds/vitamins in pill holders. I don't carry a separate "med bag"- they are usually just in my purse or carryon. I have never been stopped or questionned even when I had narcotic pain meds. Last cruise since we were flying into Buenos aires, I decided to put my RX meds into their original containers. Again- was never stopped or questionned. I know guide books and conventional wisdom say to carry meds in their original containers but unless the TSA or security is a pharmacist, they would not know a BP pill from a narcotic if you decided to put a narcotic into a BP bottle to "fool" them.

Boheme 1986; Majesty of the Seas 1992;Ryndam 1996;Splendor of the Seas 1998;Noordam 2001;
Veendam 2004;Sun Princess 2005;Century 2006;
Rotterdam 2007;Brilliance of the Seas 2007;Radiance of the Seas 2008;Jewel of the Seas 2009;Infinity 2010;Constellation-7/9/11; Eclipse 10/30/11; Millenium- 6/15/12;Reflection 11/18/12; Millenium- 18 day Alaska cruisetour 5/18/13; Century- 12/6/13- San Diego to Hawaii RT; 4/14/14- Millenium- China, Japan, Korea; 6/13/14- Infinity-- British Isles

Old July 16th, 2010, 12:34 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by R122268 View Post
DH and I have travelled all over the world both by air and cruises. I usualy put both my RX meds and OTC meds/vitamins in pill holders. I don't carry a separate "med bag"- they are usually just in my purse or carryon. I have never been stopped or questionned even when I had narcotic pain meds. Last cruise since we were flying into Buenos aires, I decided to put my RX meds into their original containers. Again- was never stopped or questionned. I know guide books and conventional wisdom say to carry meds in their original containers but unless the TSA or security is a pharmacist, they would not know a BP pill from a narcotic if you decided to put a narcotic into a BP bottle to "fool" them.
No pharmacy degree needed. Many pharmacies use a label on the bottle that identifies the unique code/description that is imprinted on the pill or capsule. In that case all one has to do is match the label to the contents of the bottle. Even if a label does not display that information, if they are at all suspicious they merely have to look up the code on the pill or capsule to find out what it is. That information is readily available in printed form and on the Internet.