Airplane confusion!!

jkw2765

I am looking at booking a direct flight with Virgin Australia from LAX to SYD. The particular non-stop flight we want says it is run by Delta. I guess that means we are not flying Virgin Australia but Delta. I flew them to Copenhagen a few years back and it was a miserable 9 hours. Was wondering if anyine has flown them to SYD. Maybe i should change to a different flight to be on Virgin. Any thoughts are appreciated!:confused:

I haven't flown the Delta planes on this route, but they only started a few years back, and they deployed their then-new 777 planes on this route.

It wouldn't be my top choice (that'd be the QF A380 if it was suitable), but I think it'd be okay for what it is, and not so different from Virgin overall, both of which I'd also be fine with.

Preferences are subjective though, so happy to hear other's experiences.

Your best bet flying from USA to Australia is actually Air New Zealand . Daily departures from both Los Angeles and San Francisco (and Vancouver, Canada) to Auckland then continuing onto to Sydney and Melbourne. Great value fares, modern aircraft, excellent caring service.

Virgin is OK but the cabin service leaves a bit to be desired. They basically take off, feed you , turn the lights out and wake you for brekky just before landing .

Try and find any staff or any refreshment in between is quite a chore .

Edited by kuldalai

Air NZ 777 flights pack them in more than any other airline on that route. I would say they are the worst choice for passenger comfort due to that.

Further, they all go through Auckland, so it's no longer a non-stop option.

Air NZ 777 flights pack them in more than any other airline on that route. I would say they are the worst choice for passenger comfort due to that.

Further, they all go through Auckland, so it's no longer a non-stop option.

I'd endorse this on both counts.

The Air New Zealand 777-300ERs are dreadful in economy. They have 10 seats across the width of the aircraft, compared to the standard 9-abreast on both DL and VA.

I am looking at booking a direct flight with Virgin Australia from LAX to SYD. The particular non-stop flight we want says it is run by Delta. I guess that means we are not flying Virgin Australia but Delta.:confused:

Yes. Virgin Australia and Delta are both part of the Star Alliance network of airlines. So they will code share on routes. In this case you will be on a Delta plane, but with a VA ticket (think of it as VA getting a bit of commission for selling a Delta seat).

There is a Virgin Australia flight to/from SYD-LAX = Flights VA01 and VA02. They operate at very similar times to the Delta airlines flight.

Qantas does operate direct flights also, but at different times, however one of the flights to/from is an A380 - much more comfortable seats with self serve eat stations for snacks inbetween meals etc.

Virgin Australia and Delta are both part of the Star Alliance network of airlines.
No, they are not. Neither of them is in Star Alliance.

Delta is in SkyTeam.

Virgin Australia is not a member of any of the airline alliances.

So they will code share on routes.
Airlines routinely and frequently codeshare with other airlines which are not in the same alliance as themselves.
In this case you will be on a Delta plane, but with a VA ticket (think of it as VA getting a bit of commission for selling a Delta seat).
VA may get a lot more than "a bit of commission", depending on the nature of the codesharing agreement that's in place. And there are many different varieties of codesharing agreement.

Your best bet flying from USA to Australia is actually Air New Zealand . Daily departures from both Los Angeles and San Francisco (and Vancouver, Canada) to Auckland then continuing onto to Sydney and Melbourne. Great value fares, modern aircraft, excellent caring service.

No thanks. If I am going to Melbourne, which I do many times each year, I'm not going to add an extra stop in AKL unless I really, really, really have to. And only once have I seen a price so much lower on Air NZ that it justified the extra stop. Plus, I prefer the Qantas A380 to the Air NZ 777 (having flown both in various classes).

Air NZ's new Premium Economy is very, very nice. So is Qantas's A380 Premium Economy. But when you get back in to coach, the Qantas A380, and even the Qantas 747-400, beat the Air NZ 777 hands down in my book.

I am looking at booking a direct flight with Virgin Australia from LAX to SYD. The particular non-stop flight we want says it is run by Delta. I guess that means we are not flying Virgin Australia but Delta. I flew them to Copenhagen a few years back and it was a miserable 9 hours. Was wondering if anyine has flown them to SYD. Maybe i should change to a different flight to be on Virgin. Any thoughts are appreciated!:confused:

G'day mate

Suggest you go to seat guru.com. They list mucho many airlines. Click on the airline, and they will give you a list of all aircraft flown by that airline. The airline may have MANY different versions of the same model number i.e 777, 747, 767 etc. When you find a flight that works for you on the airline web site, if possible look at the seat map for that flight. Look at the configuration of first class. Then when you choose the aircraft type on Seat Guru, choose one of the variations. See if it matches the seat map of the flight you are interested in. If not, go to the next version. ALSO, many have comments by passengers who have flown that type of aircraft by seat number. Hope this helps

B:Db

No, they are not. Neither of them is in Star Alliance.

Yes that's right - I was still comtemplating a post suggesting to fly Air New Zealand who are a member of Star Alliance.....My Bad...:o

What I should have wrote, if I was concentrating, was Delta and Virgin Australia have a "Trans Pacific Partnership agreement" in which they will code share flights.

All other comments raised I think is just grasping at straws or pointing out the obvious...:rolleyes:

Be careful with seatguru.com. It's increasingly out of date for some airlines, to the point of being next to useless in some cases.

Yes, that can and is the rare case. Airlines can change configurations (or even on a flight by flight basis change equipment) quicker than seat guru can. But at least seat guru is a "port in the storm of confusion." Yes, I know, bad pun

Have a great upcoming weekend

B:)b

Yes, that can and is the rare case. Airlines can change configurations (or even on a flight by flight basis change equipment) quicker than seat guru can.
It's rather more than "rare" IME. And it's not just a case of seatguru not being quick enough. It's more a case of seatguru not bothering for years to include other configurations, or possibly even of not knowing of other configurations (despite the information being publicly available). On another board, all the regular pleas of "I can't find my aircraft configuration on seatguru" for a particular airline are almost universally met with the answer "Don't use seatguru".

It may be better for some airlines than others. Hence my advice to be careful when using it.

This Feb. we flew a Virgin Australia flight from Sydney to LAX. Booked on points thru Delta. Business class was wonderful. Try it if you can. Almost 14 hours. :):)

I wish we could, the closest we can handle (afford) is economy comfort on Oct. 2014 flight.

As it happens, this review appears in today's Melbourne Age newspaper. Note, the writer paid for his own tix so I assume he's reasonably impartial.

APRIL 12, 2014 - 3:00 AM

Flight test: Delta Economy Class

THE ROUTE

Sydney to Los Angeles.

THE PLANE

Boeing 777-200LR.

THE LOYALTY SCHEME

SkyMiles (no alliance membership, but points can be earned and spent with Virgin Australia and several other carriers).

UP THE BACK OR POINTY END

Economy class, seat 47D.

TIME IN THE AIR

13 hours, 30 minutes, assisted by the usual Pacific tail wind.

THE SEAT STUFF

A 3-3-3 layout in economy class. Seat pitch is 78.7 centimetres in front, 81cm behind (on the lower side for economy-class seats); 47cm wide (more generous).

BAGGAGE

You are allowed two checked bags, weighing up to 23 kilograms each and not exceeding 157 centimetres (length plus width plus height). After miscalculating our loads, our Delta check-in person was patient as we shuffled goods around, and let us through with a couple of extra kilograms. He also got us five seats in a row. One carry-on item is allowed, not exceeding 114cm (length plus width plus height).

COMFORT FACTOR

The seats are narrow enough to touch elbows with the next passenger but there is ample legroom for a medium build. I have an aisle seat, allowing some room to stretch. The cushion is firm but comfortable. Our three children are happy enough to cuddle up with the provided blanket and pillow, and rest for some of the night flight. However, my cup of water tipped over from the drink holder of the tray when the person in front released their seat back.

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT

Flying to the US with a young family requires an in-flight entertainment system that can suit (and distract) each person, and Delta kept my 10, eight and four-year-old occupied with a healthy selection of games and movies. Delta boasts up to 200 films, 100 hours of HBO on demand, more than 4000 MP3s, 16 music videos and dozens of games.

SERVICE

Despite being the last to board, we receive a warm welcome from the flight crew and freshen-up towels shortly after takeoff, and that sets the tone for the trip - we feel looked-after. The affable captain comes over the intercom to play tourist guide as we gain height over Sydney.

FEEDING TIME

"I can assure you the choc mousse will make up for it if we run out of your choice of meals," the captain promises at dinner and he is right; it is a treat after I polish off my warm but dry chicken (served in red sauce with delicious potato wedges, wet but tasty broccoli and crisp carrots). Pure Blonde and Miller Lite is on offer alongside Coca-Cola products; spirits cost $7. Lunch is more modest - a small chicken roll, mini Mars bar and an apple. Breakfast is served one hour and 40 minutes before landing. Baby meals, gluten-free, kosher and other special meals can be pre-ordered at delta.com/mytrips.

ONE MORE THING

For an extra fee or points you can upgrade to economy comfort (36 seats), which offers up to 10cm more legroom, up to 50 per cent more recline and early boarding. Prices vary but can be can be up to twice as much as the economy ticket.

THE VERDICT

Although there were faults, for the price of the economy tickets we were happy with the Delta staff and service. My checked-in guitar and two saxes arrived in the US safely, which was a test in itself.

FREQUENCY

Delta flies one service daily between Sydney and LA.

Tested by Dan Fallon, who flew at his own expense.

Delta is our primary airline and we have never had a bad flight. We flew from LAX to Sydney last year and returned as well. We paid extra for a economy comfort seat.

Our only experience with Virgin Australia was from Sydney to Perth and the flight was good, but the only thing remarkable about Virgin was the seat had a neat method of reclining.

Thanks for all the replies! We went ahead and booked with Delta. The flights matched up best with our connecting flights. We are definitely going to pay for the economy comfort and will hope for the best! Thanks again to all of you!

;)