Where to snorkel while in Port

miss_rach

All,

We get into Port on Carnival Valor 15 July (0900 - 1800). We're looking for some good places to snorkel. We have out own gear and are all stong swimmers. We would prefer to go from the beach vs having to rent a charter/boat. Any recommendations on where to go?

Cheers!

Take a look at all the reviews/threads here on West Bay beaches. Also take a look at the threads on Little French and Big French Keys. These are good shore snorkeling sites. For West Bay beaches, you may wish to look into a day pass at one of the resorts there like Infinity Bay, Maya Princess, Paradise Beach, or Bananrama so you can have changing facilities. Also there are numerous small boats around that can take you up toward the West End for off shore snorkeling.

Take a look at all the reviews/threads here on West Bay beaches. Also take a look at the threads on Little French and Big French Keys. These are good shore snorkeling sites. For West Bay beaches, you may wish to look into a day pass at one of the resorts there like Infinity Bay, Maya Princess, Paradise Beach, or Bananrama so you can have changing facilities. Also there are numerous small boats around that can take you up toward the West End for off shore snorkeling.

I have only heard of boats at Little French Key.. has that changed.. is it possible to get to the reef from the beach?

This thread has heaps of info about snorkeling West Bay.

Blue Channel is not very far off the sand in West End, of one spends some money at Tita's Bar attached to Sueno Del Mar you can swim to Blue Channel from there.

The areas of Sandy Bay are also very nice, the reef is a bit father out, I have only been from the Hobbie's Hideaway dock. I am not at all sure about other distances.

I have only heard of boats at Little French Key.. has that changed.. is it possible to get to the reef from the beach?

This thread has heaps of info about snorkeling West Bay.

Blue Channel is not very far off the sand in West End, of one spends some money at Tita's Bar attached to Sueno Del Mar you can swim to Blue Channel from there.

The areas of Sandy Bay are also very nice, the reef is a bit father out, I have only been from the Hobbie's Hideaway dock. I am not at all sure about other distances.

I don't think the boats are affiliated with any of the resorts, just small time independents. We used one once with another couple. Open boat could have held maybe 2 more people. Rotated staying on board to guard stuff, but had no problems.

On a calm day a strong swimmer might be able to get out there. But you'd be better off going from a boat.

Edited by crewsweeper

There is no snorkeling from the shore at Little French Key. It's $10 pp to go out with Ronnelly on a small motor boat - I've been to two different sites with him, the last one was off Fantasy Island. Great live coral here, along with a 175' drop off, as well as the first spot we went to off what is now called Big French Key.

However, the best snorkeling from shore is at Tabyana Beach or next door in front of the Infinity Bay Hotel. There's several aisles or passageways through large coral heads, a trench, and a drop off.

I almost went to Blue Channel last week, but the wind was whipping pretty fast and I decided to stay beachside instead.

what is the best way to get to west end beaches?....is there a tour to Infinity bay?

Thanks

Doug

Infinity Bay Resort in on West Bay Beach. While they offer day passes, they are expensive, limited and do not include transport. You could pay any of the tour operators/or taxi drivers to take you there.

or

Tabyana is right next door, easy enough to sort a ship excursion to that part of West Bay Beach.

West End is a small village, a 4 min water taxi ride from West Bay Beach.

On a side note: Taxi are not regulated and can be expensive.

Edited by Guest 2000

Snorkel at Mahogany Bay, off of the dock go out and left. I was there at Christmas, took a cab ride to West End and West Bay, the water was really rough and murky and it started pouring, hopped back in the cab and went back to Mahogany Bay - sunshine, calm, reef and fish :)

Snorkel at Mahogany Bay, off of the dock go out and left. I was there at Christmas, took a cab ride to West End and West Bay, the water was really rough and murky and it started pouring, hopped back in the cab and went back to Mahogany Bay - sunshine, calm, reef and fish :)

And by the time you went back to Mahogany Bay it was probably "sunshine, calm, reef and fish" at West Bay.

Usually the windward side of Roatan is the Mahogany side.. but if there is a northern storm, it can get very nasty on the West Bay side. My guess is you made the right choice in going back to the port but please don't let that stop you from giving West Bay a go next time, the snorkeling is quite good.

West Bay more often then not is bathtub clam with a very small lap lap of the sea..but I have seen the waves as high as six feet. I do love the drama of weather.