A day pass at Hilton Hawaiian Village?

Sunny AZ Girl

Has anyone had a day pass at Hilton Hawaiian Village? I have read that they are available. How much are they and what would they include?

We will have the full day on Sunday free after boarding the Rhapsody of the Seas on Saturday. The ship leaves at midnight Sunday. I see that many attractions are closed on Sunday. We have been to Pearl Harbor, etc and was thinking that a nice day on the beach would be in order. Having a day room would be great for changing. Also, we may enjoy the pool area. I know the shops and beach are public. Just wondering.:cool:

One option would be to take a taxi to Waikiki and spend the day in front of the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. There are umbrellas and lounges available for rent, I think the cost is $50 for the day. You have easy access to the restaurants at the Outrigger, including Dukes, plus the Royal Hawaiian and the Banyan Court. We get take out from Dukes bar to take next door to the Moana because their burgers and salads are soooo good. You would not be able to use the pool but you know how nice it is to swim in Waikiki. A less expensive option is the umbrella and lounge rental further down the beach in front of the Hyatt. If I were doing a beach day on Oahu, leaving a ship and returning to a ship, I would not do an HHV day pass. JMO Cherie

One option would be to take a taxi to Waikiki and spend the day in front of the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. There are umbrellas and lounges available for rent, I think the cost is $50 for the day. You have easy access to the restaurants at the Outrigger, including Dukes, plus the Royal Hawaiian and the Banyan Court. We get take out from Dukes bar to take next door to the Moana because their burgers and salads are soooo good. You would not be able to use the pool but you know how nice it is to swim in Waikiki. A less expensive option is the umbrella and lounge rental further down the beach in front of the Hyatt. If I were doing a beach day on Oahu, leaving a ship and returning to a ship, I would not do an HHV day pass. JMO Cherie

Thank you for the information. It is very valuable.:) We actually stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach post cruise one night, so I am very familiar with the set up. I didn't know they would rent chairs and umbrellas to non-guests. That was a big concern of mine as neither of us can stand to sit very long in the sun. The location is great as it is right across the street from the International Market and you are right. The food there is very good. Do you know if the $50 includes two loungers or just one? Do you know the cost of the loungers at the Hyatt? Thanks.

The concession for beach umbrellas and lounges in front of the Outrigger is private. They just give a discount to Outrigger guests. We will be there in November and I might have a chance to check the prices again. If I remember correctly the $50 included an umbrella and two lounges. There is more than one concession on the beach across from the Hyatt and next to the Moana. We had our own umbrella and just needed lounges.

If you are going to be going to several beaches on your cruise you might consider stopping at K-Mart and purchasing an umbrella and a couple of chairs before your cruise starts. It's always nice to arrive at the beach and not need to rent things or go to any beach you want. If you need more info I will try to get it for you. Cherie

The concession for beach umbrellas and lounges in front of the Outrigger is private. They just give a discount to Outrigger guests. We will be there in November and I might have a chance to check the prices again. If I remember correctly the $50 included an umbrella and two lounges. There is more than one concession on the beach across from the Hyatt and next to the Moana. We had our own umbrella and just needed lounges.

If you are going to be going to several beaches on your cruise you might consider stopping at K-Mart and purchasing an umbrella and a couple of chairs before your cruise starts. It's always nice to arrive at the beach and not need to rent things or go to any beach you want. If you need more info I will try to get it for you. Cherie

Thank you, Cherie. That is very sweet of you. I am not sure if DH will want to lug umbrellas and chairs around, but I will check into it. Last time we went we had very little beach time. We looked at beaches, took pictures of beaches and then were on our way. Go-Go-Go!:eek: Part of that was because I was sporting an open incision from a botched surgery and was not supposed to go into the water. I was just grateful to have made it to Hawaii at all! So this time God willing, we plan to take our time and smell the roses. We have a few tours we will want to do, but hope to spend several beach days along the way relaxing, snorkeling and enjoying the waves.:cool:

If you would just check rental prices for me in Waikiki I would appreciate it. I will probably be looking at renting chairs and an umbrella at Kaalapali Beach in Maui, too. If you are there and you happen to notice prices I would be interested. But please don't go out of your way.

There are loungers and umbrellas for rent along the beach in front of Fort DeRussy Beach Park. It is the stretch of beach between the Hilton Hawaiian Village and Outrigger Reef. The concessions are in front of Outrigger Reef and towards the Hale Koa.

When we stay in Waikiki, this is the beach we usually go to. It's quieter, but still close to shops and restaurants along Beach Walk and Lewers St. (Embassy Suites, Trump Tower, etc).

p.s. If I remember correctly, rental is $35/day for 2 chairs and an umbrella; $25 for a half day (4 hours); or $25 for the whole day if you get there by 8 a.m.

There are loungers and umbrellas for rent along the beach in front of Fort DeRussy Beach Park. It is the stretch of beach between the Hilton Hawaiian Village and Outrigger Reef. The concessions are in front of Outrigger Reef and towards the Hale Koa.

When we stay in Waikiki, this is the beach we usually go to. It's quieter, but still close to shops and restaurants along Beach Walk and Lewers St. (Embassy Suites, Trump Tower, etc).

p.s. If I remember correctly, rental is $35/day for 2 chairs and an umbrella; $25 for a half day (4 hours); or $25 for the whole day if you get there by 8 a.m.

Thank you. We would not use the loungers more than 4 hours, so the $25 is a lot more reasonable. Any place to eat near by? Outrigger Reef?

Thank you. We would not use the loungers more than 4 hours, so the $25 is a lot more reasonable. Any place to eat near by? Outrigger Reef?

There is the Shore Bird inside the Outrigger Reef which is ocean front, but also loads of restaurants if you walk through to Lewers St. or Beach Walk - e.g. Cheeseburger in Paradise (Lewers), Hard Rock (Beachwalk).

The Shorebird Restaurant at the Outrigger Reef has a great lunch menu during the day.....burgers. salads, etc. It is an open air restaurant right on the beach, so you can keep an eye on your stuff if you rent chairs and umbrellas in front of the Reef. It is great to sit undercover in there for awhile and get away from the sun for awhile. We have rented chairs there when not staying at the hotel. There is also a little alleyway leading from the beach between the Reef and Ft. DeRussy. There are little food stands along there selling hot dogs, sandwiches, cold drinks, etc. There may even be a plate lunch type place in there. Out on the beach in front of Ft. DeRussey, there are picnic tables and benches where you can sit and eat.

The last few times we have rented chairs and an umbrella, I remember the prices being slightly higher than $50. Perhaps it depends on the time of year, holiday weekend, etc.

I just wanted to thank you for asking about the possibility of paying to use a hotel's facilities. I've seen my share of cruise freeloaders at hotel beaches I've stayed at in the Caribbean. Nothing more frustrating than having a few days where I just walk out my hotel door and find a waiting lounger and easy access to the beach servers and then walk out to find all the chairs taken up by loads of cruisers. Yes, I know it's the responsibility of the hotels to keep out the "riff raft", but people should be willing to pay for what they use.

Off my soapbox...

I do like the idea of buying your own if you plan on beaching it several times. I'm heading over to Honolulu for a short break next month, staying at HHV. I always hit up a store right away (hello ABC) and buy one of those cheap rattan/bamboo mats to use instead of towel for laying on the beach (save the towel for drying off or use as a pillow). I might spring for one of those backrest chairs and maybe a little umbrella. When I'm done with it, I'll just leave it for someone else to enjoy.

I've seen my share of cruise freeloaders at hotel beaches I've stayed at in the Caribbean. Nothing more frustrating than having a few days where I just walk out my hotel door and find a waiting lounger and easy access to the beach servers and then walk out to find all the chairs taken up by loads of cruisers.

I know of few beaches that are actually owned by the hotel, but I am sure that they exist. Most beaches are open to the public. Of course the hotel facilities like pools, chairs, etc are usually reserved for guests. Although I find a lot of beaches that have third parties that manage and rent out the chairs, etc. Shame on any hotel that allows people to just walk up and use their facilities at the expense of paying guests. I usually do not find this to be the case.

I know of few beaches that are actually owned by the hotel, but I am sure that they exist. Most beaches are open to the public. Of course the hotel facilities like pools, chairs, etc are usually reserved for guests. Although I find a lot of beaches that have third parties that manage and rent out the chairs, etc. Shame on any hotel that allows people to just walk up and use their facilities at the expense of paying guests. I usually do not find this to be the case.

I'm not talking about the beach itself - of course they are public most of the time, at least to the high tide line. It is the people who use the public access to the beach and then amble up to the hotel's beach facilities and start using them. I've had it on Grand Cayman, St. John USVI, Puerto Rico. Grand Cayman was the worst. Yes, it is the responsibility of the hotels to keep facilities for their paying guests. But, it just bothers me that there are so many people out there who think nothing of trying to scam for a cheap day at a beach.

"Freeloading" is difficult on Waikiki Beach as the hotels do not set up chairs, etc. on the beach unless you rent them. You rent it....they set it up for you. And, most of the hotel pools along the beach have someone checking to make sure you are a registered hotel guest. I have been to resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean where the chairs are always set up on the beach and folks are always trying to sneak in..

I am sure the hotels are more than happy to have cruisers stop and spend money at their restaurants, bars and shops. When we travel for Waikiki for a weekend getaway, we often stay several blocks off the beach, but spend the day renting beach chairs and enjoying the restaurants, etc. at one of the beachfront hotels.

I'm not talking about the beach itself - of course they are public most of the time, at least to the high tide line. It is the people who use the public access to the beach and then amble up to the hotel's beach facilities and start using them. I've had it on Grand Cayman, St. John USVI, Puerto Rico. Grand Cayman was the worst. Yes, it is the responsibility of the hotels to keep facilities for their paying guests. But, it just bothers me that there are so many people out there who think nothing of trying to scam for a cheap day at a beach.

I can certainly understand why this would be a problem.

• 3 months later...

Archived