Cost of SS transfers

eastwoodboy

I prefer to make my own arrangements to arrive and depart the ports when I join the ships for both convenience and cost. Last week on Spirit we received the usual disembarkation forms and noted the warning that taxis would be in short supply at Venice and it was not possible to pre book a taxi.

The cost of a coach transfer to Marco Polo was $79 pp or a private car transfer was available at $319. There were times available for 2 coaches one of which was far too early to suite my timings and the other just too late. Being a little concerned about the suggested lack of taxis I considered the early coach but then thought lets have a quick look on the internet.

In less than 5 minutes I had booked a car at a cost of 40 Euros (say £32) against the cost of 2 coach tickets which would have been about £95.

We were collected at the exit of the terminal by a very smart driver with S class Mercedes and wafted to the airport at exactly the time that suited us at a fraction of the SS price. As for comparing this with the SS private car transfer at $319 (say £191) well words fail me.

This is not the first time I have found SS to be excessive and I remember a couple of years ago at Monte Carlo another example. I forget the exact prices now but we ended up with the helicopter transfer to Nice airport at a very similar cost to the SS coach!

Funny-in the Galapagos we made our own hotel reservations but it was suggested that we taxi over to the SS selected hotel to go out to the airport. Our hotel to airport:$15.00. Our hotel to their hotel:$20.00 then an additional $160 to airport. Can you guess which we did?

One pays for the reassurance of having Silversea ground agents behind one.

On a recent cruise, I needed to depart at 6 am to catch a flight. The ship had overnighted in the port.

There was a line of cabs at the pier the previous afternoon/evening. But when I went out at 5:50 am for my scheduled Silversea transfer, the ground agent immediately showed me to the car that was awaiting me. However, there were no taxis waiting. Two other sets of passengers had been waiting for a taxi for some time and were getting very anxious they would miss their flight. I would have allowed one couple to join me to airport, but there was not enough room for luggage. The ground agent tried to call for a cab for these other passengers but was unsuccessful.

Yes, I paid dearly for Silversea private transfer. But I made my flight and did not have to stress.

I know that season cruiser makes all their own excursions and land transportation connections. I'm sure they save lots of money and do a lot of work in planning. My hats off to them and hope one day to be doing the same.

We booked two private cars in two ports and the ship never made it to those ports due to weather and it sure was nice having SS just credit my ship board account because I booked it through them.

So right now we do some on our own and %70 with the cruise lines. I guess we still are not fully seasoned yet...

I know that season cruiser makes all their own excursions and land transportation connections. I'm sure they save lots of money and do a lot of work in planning. My hats off to them and hope one day to be doing the same.

We booked two private cars in two ports and the ship never made it to those ports due to weather and it sure was nice having SS just credit my ship board account because I booked it through them.

So right now we do some on our own and %70 with the cruise lines. I guess we still are not fully seasoned yet...

I understand your approach and say we all have choices and do whatever we're most comfortable with. I will say none of my privately arranged transfers or tours have been prepaid. I won't book with a limo service or tour company that wants a credit card up front for the very reason I don't want the hassle of debating a refund if we don't make it to a port.

Ship's transfers are outrageously expensive and often not that comfortable or convenient. I prebook a private transfer with a local company, and have never had a problem. I do not prepay. It is very easy to do in this day of Internet.

Ship's transfers are outrageously expensive and often not that comfortable or convenient. I prebook a private transfer with a local company, and have never had a problem. I do not prepay. It is very easy to do in this day of Internet.

That's great you can get the no pre-pay. I research out good tour guides and email or go onto their website and they all want a credit card number. They have these cancelation policy's they keep showing or telling me...

Won't give-up, seems like a lot of you guys are getting it done so will keep looking and taking to tour guides till it starts clicking in....

That's great you can get the no pre-pay. I research out good tour guides and email or go onto their website and they all want a credit card number. They have these cancelation policy's they keep showing or telling me...

Won't give-up, seems like a lot of you guys are getting it done so will keep looking and taking to tour guides till it starts clicking in....

The ports section right here on Cruise Critic is a great source of tour guides. Have used several highly recommended guides and transfer companies with excellent results.....and no prepay. :)