Rent tuxedo onboard QM2?

Ryeseedboy

If I had to fly to meet the ship, I would consider renting instead of packing the formal wear, and possibly having to pay an excess baggage or weight surcharge to the airline. But since you are well within driving range, I would bring my own...a rental may not fit as well as your own, and the five day rental price is close to what I actually paid for my tux....

Edit....I just realized that you may indeed be flying, at least one way....in my case I am taking a roundtrip cruise from Brooklyn....

Edited by bob brown

Right. Can't say I've seen anyone wearing "Tails" on QM2 ...
Hi Salacia,

I've seen at least one guy wearing "white tie" (or "tails") on most transatlantic crossings that I've taken (most recently in May this year on the 10th anniversary crossing, at the Senior Officer's Cocktail Party in the Queens Room). Maybe they only appear on crossings (being the classic Cunard voyage) and not on short cruises to/from Canada and that's why you've missed them?

I must say most of these guys don't get it quite right (wearing a cape & top hat in addition for example) and simply look a bit silly. They should study some old photographs if they want to do this "look" successfully :) . In almost all cases they'd have been better to have stuck with "black tie".

To the OP, buy "black tie" (dinner suit/tuxedo) and bring it with you, don't rely on renting it on board.

Best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

Right. Can't say I've seen anyone wearing "Tails" on QM2, but then again, I have no experience of the more 'exclusive' areas ;)

Was about to say I wear mine regularly on board but just realised I've never done so on QM2, just QV and QE.

Like Pepper, I'd say I've seen at least one other wearing tails on each cruise/crossing and sometimes several. On QV's Maiden Voyage it was probably into double figures.

Also have to agree about the cape & top hat. That may be OK for Victoriana Night (on QV) but in general best to do without.

Have a great trip.

Regards, Colin.

Hi Salacia,

I've seen at least one guy wearing "white tie" (or "tails") on most transatlantic crossings that I've taken (most recently in May this year on the 10th anniversary crossing, at the Senior Officer's Cocktail Party in the Queens Room). Maybe they only appear on crossings (being the classic Cunard voyage) and not on short cruises to/from Canada and that's why you've missed them?

I must say most of these guys don't get it quite right (wearing a cape & top hat in addition for example) and simply look a bit silly. They should study some old photographs if they want to do this "look" successfully :) . In almost all cases they'd have been better to have stuck with "black tie".

To the OP, buy "black tie" (dinner suit/tuxedo) and bring it with you, don't rely on renting it on board.

Best wishes.

Hi Pepper. Not just short cruises to Canada, but I haven't seen men dressed in tails on the 12 day Canada cruises or the longer Caribbean cruises r/t NY either. But I can understand how it would be appealing for some men to wear that iconic fashion on crossings, especially if they can dance like Fred Astaire :)

Regards,

Salacia

... But I can understand how it would be appealing for some men to wear that iconic fashion on crossings, especially if they can dance like Fred Astaire :) Regards, Salacia
But who can dance like Fred? Who, when dancing, looked as if he was born in white tie and tails! :)

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

I must say most of these guys don't get it quite right (wearing a cape & top hat in addition for example) and simply look a bit silly. They should study some old photographs if they want to do this "look" successfully :)

What, no bat?:p

We do a lot of ballroom dancing and have some friends who will bring a tux, a white dinner jacket, and tails when they cruise, even on short little cruises around the sound or to Canada, and that is a little over the top.

DH just brings a tux and two tux shirts, rotating them out. Once, when we went to the Caribbean, he also took his white dinner jacket, but that is a lot of stuff to lug around the world, especially on Cunard where you also really pretty much need two sports jackets for informal evenings.

He did check on the Queen Victoria just to see if they had any tux shirts his size and they didn't--he wears a 16.5/36. I agree with pepperrn, bring your own. They did, however, have self-tie bow ties, but only in black. Somehow, he had managed to grab a purple one to match me and a white one, but not a black one. He said he really liked the way it tied.

They are so inexpensive, compared to renting that it doesn't make any sense to rent. Even when our son was in prep school it made more sense to buy him a tuxedo than to rent one several times a year. The funny thing is that at 37, he can still wear his prep school tux.

Edited by PunkiC

... They are so inexpensive, compared to renting that it doesn't make any sense to rent. ...
Wise words, thank you.

(Although it is good to have a well made/tailored dinner suit/tuxedo hanging in the wardrobe if you're going to get a lot of use out of it (formal dinners at home, repeat trips with Cunard), these days for very occasional use, they are amazingly inexpensive (my father's cost under £50, and we (family) added the shirt/tie/cummerbund. He doesn't go to formal dinners these days and has only two trips with Cunard). I'd look on the on-board rental service as an emergency back-up if I'd forgotten to pack something).

Happy sailings :)

Edited by pepperrn