Where to buy cigars, Southern/Western Carib

Cruzin-K

So, a friend is going to be giving me a ride to the airport this week and I asked if he needed anything from the Caribbean, sort of joking, but still would like to bring him & his wife a little something as a thank you for the ride. He said "sure, a Cuban". Ha! The last thing I'll be bringing back is a Cuban cigar but it got me thinking, what about other cigars? Are there any good cigar shops you'd recommend, or a particular good brand that's not available in the U.S. (and not Cuban, lol) :confused:

I'll be visiting St. Thomas, St. Croix, Martinique, St. Lucia, Antigua, Jamaica, and Cozumel. I may not have much if any time for cigar shopping, so the closer to the port, the better.

I know zero about cigars, other than I hate the smell, so any suggestions will be appreciated.

So, a friend is going to be giving me a ride to the airport this week and I asked if he needed anything from the Caribbean, sort of joking, but still would like to bring him & his wife a little something as a thank you for the ride. He said "sure, a Cuban". Ha! The last thing I'll be bringing back is a Cuban cigar but it got me thinking, what about other cigars? Are there any good cigar shops you'd recommend, or a particular good brand that's not available in the U.S. (and not Cuban, lol) :confused:

I'll be visiting St. Thomas, St. Croix, Martinique, St. Lucia, Antigua, Jamaica, and Cozumel. I may not have much if any time for cigar shopping, so the closer to the port, the better.

I know zero about cigars, other than I hate the smell, so any suggestions will be appreciated.

I would try asking your question over on the Caribbean boards maybe one of the locals or people who've traveled there can help you out.

Jonathan

I have seen MANY cigar shops on almost every Island you mentioned. I know absolutely NOTHING about cigars, so I cannot recommend anything. I DO know that if anyone tells you it is Cuban...they are lying. They are Illegal to bring on the ship anyway. Good luck and I hope someone can be of more help to you.

I would try asking your question over on the Caribbean boards maybe one of the locals or people who've traveled there can help you out.

Jonathan

Thanks, I didn't want to have to post the same message seven times, cause each port has a separate board. So I thought here might get a wider audience

I am a cigar smoker and I have bought Cuban cigars in the Caribbean on the island of Guadalupe at a Tobacco shop. They were Montecristo number 2's. I know they were real Cubans by the taste, a night and day difference compared to others.

I have found many counterfeit Cubans on other islands often sold in gift/souvenir shops.

There are good non cuban cigars out there but you can probably get them as cheap or cheaper stateside online.

Why don't you try using the search function? I'm sure this question (or one like it) has been asked before.

um, thanks. I'm aware of the search function and its limitations. I do NOT want Cuban cigars, and 99% of the threads found are about where to buy Cubans, and how to smuggle them in to the U.S. :rolleyes: Why don't you go search and let me know what you find?

There are good non cuban cigars out there but you can probably get them as cheap or cheaper stateside online.

thanks. Maybe I'll just come up with another idea for a gift.

Cruzin-K, You should be able to pick up good cigars in almost any port or even aboard ship. I used to smoke cigars and would pick them up a couple on each cruise to enjoy. St Thomas, Cozumel, and Jamaica should all have places close to the port. As far as recommendations, it depends on what your friend likes. Macanudu makes a good mild cigar. You can try a Partagas or A. Fuentes for a medium bodied cigar, and for a stronger full bodied cigar you could try a Cohiba or Alec Bradley. These are all good cigar brands for your friend. True Cuban cigars are usually full bodied and stronger than most cigars. A lot of good cigars are made in the DR, Jamaica, and in Nicaragua, but you can find them all over. As others have said, many of the so called Cuban cigars are fakes anyway, so unless you know the shopkeeper I would be wary of anyone selling Cubans in the Caribbean. Good Luck.

I have seen MANY cigar shops on almost every Island you mentioned. I know absolutely NOTHING about cigars, so I cannot recommend anything. I DO know that if anyone tells you it is Cuban...they are lying. They are Illegal to bring on the ship anyway. Good luck and I hope someone can be of more help to you.

Illegal to bring on the ship? That's news to me. I don't bring them back to the States with me but I definitely bring them and consume them on the ship.

I have studied the scams that shops try to pull with people and Cuban cigars and spend a lot of time looking over any cigar that's claimed to be Cuban in any shop. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask, or PM me. If you want a reputable place to buy Cuban cigars, find a La Casa del Habano. But even then, you still have to be careful. If you happen to be going to the Bahamas, there is a group of Cuban's there rolling cigars with Cuban tobacco but since they're in the Bahamas they're considered Bahamian. The name of the shop escapes me right now but if I remember I'll post it.

Illegal to bring on the ship? That's news to me. I don't bring them back to the States with me but I definitely bring them and consume them on the ship.

I have studied the scams that shops try to pull with people and Cuban cigars and spend a lot of time looking over any cigar that's claimed to be Cuban in any shop. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask, or PM me. If you want a reputable place to buy Cuban cigars, find a La Casa del Habano. But even then, you still have to be careful. If you happen to be going to the Bahamas, there is a group of Cuban's there rolling cigars with Cuban tobacco but since they're in the Bahamas they're considered Bahamian. The name of the shop escapes me right now but if I remember I'll post it.

I agree, it is not illegal to bring them back to the ship. You can smoke all the Cubans you want in international waters, it is just illegal to bring them back into the US. I have seen Cuban cigars sold on some of the ships that I have sailed on.

I agree, it is not illegal to bring them back to the ship. You can smoke all the Cubans you want in international waters, it is just illegal to bring them back into the US. I have seen Cuban cigars sold on some of the ships that I have sailed on.

I don't think ships that call in U.S. ports are permitted to sell products from Cuba.

I don't think ships that call in U.S. ports are permitted to sell products from Cuba.

Sail, When I saw them they were usually aboard ships that have a smoking lounge or cigar bar aboard ship. It is against the law for US Citizens to purchase Cuban products, but not all passengers are US citizens so if they are Canadian or European or some other nationality it is legal for them to purchase them. But with custom regulations it is against the law for anyone to bring them into the country, even in transit through to their final destination. I can't remember which ships or cruise lines I have seen them on. All of my cruises have either started or ended in s US port so I don't know what the regulations are as far as selling them.