New Atlantis Tahitian Islands cruise April 25-May 2, 2009

leatherglenn

Atlantis just sent me an email about a Tahitian Islands cruise from April 25- May 2, 2009 on the Regents Seven Seas Paul Gauguin. Right now it is being offered to Atlantis alumni only and they are working on discount airfares, which they will offer in early February. Here is the website link:

http://atlantisevents.com/cruises_2009_tahiti_ship.aspx

I got that e-mail as well. I seem to remember seeing the Paul Gaugin being chartered by Travelpride at about that same time, but now it's not listed anymore. I'm wondering if the Travelpride charter didn't sell and now Atlantis decided to take it over at the last minute.

Does anyone know the information on how this came about?

I think TravelPride was going to be a June/July sailing. We are going on the PG in October - but if hubby wasn't taking classes this semester, we would jump on this one in a heartbeat! It is interesting - full prepayment and 100% cancellation fee - maybe they had a corporate charter cancel? The April 25th sailing was not in Regent's 2009 brochure.

Normally - lowest cabin category price is around $3,000-4,000pp + taxes. Getting it for $1495 is a steal!

I think TravelPride was going to be a June/July sailing. We are going on the PG in October - but if hubby wasn't taking classes this semester, we would jump on this one in a heartbeat! It is interesting - full prepayment and 100% cancellation fee - maybe they had a corporate charter cancel? The April 25th sailing was not in Regent's 2009 brochure.

Normally - lowest cabin category price is around $3,000-4,000pp + taxes. Getting it for $1495 is a steal!

Yes, I agree the price is fantastic; however, the cheapest airfare I found on Air Tahiti Nui was $1311 from Los Angeles. Now Atlantis does state they are working on group air fare, but who know how much that will be. Atlantis also states the cruise price in "non-refundable" although a name change would be OK up until a week before sailing. For me to book a cruise and not know what the air would be on a non-refundable cruise is ridiculous unless I'm willing to pay $1311. Just some food for thought!

for a cabin mate. I'll opt for the Atlantis "share" program if necessary, but would prefer to know a little more about the person prior to arriving in the cabin. Anyone interested in further discussion? :confused:

I knew it was fate that kept me from the Asia cruise and now I know why...this last minute itinerary. I have friends who have done this ship/itinerary and raved about both. Really looking forward to it.

BTW, the Air France fare from LAX is slightly more than Tahiti Nui and very strange arrival/departure times that don't sync with the cruise - unless, of course, you're adding pre- and post-cruise days. Hawaiian Air flies there, too, via Honolulu. Also about the same fare.

Beg, borrow, or steal...this trip is off the charts. Have gone twice before and loved it. The service..excursions, swimming, snorkeling..food..Tahitians..all really wonderful. Not to be missed. And these prices are low. If you go to Polynesia you'll want to return. It's that special....:cool:

I called this AM at 9:00 (when the office first opens) and was #10 in the queue - not a good sign. :( But, I was persistent and when a reservationist finally came on-line, I was able to book Category E - Window share. Hooray! :D

The reservationist, Ellen, told me that all the calls so far this AM were to book Tahiti and they're expecting it to be sold out by week's end. She also was not hopeful that an airfare discount would be meaningful, but I believe Air Tahiti Nui is aligned with American Airlines, so perhaps there's some hope there.

Ellen also noted that she "doubted" that Atlantis would offer any pre-post-hotel packages. So, we may be on our own for that. I may try to arrive one day early and will do some homework on a place to stay. But for those who have been to Papeete, if you can give accommodation suggestions, please do. :)

I'll continue to look for a cabin mate, but have the security of knowing that Atlantis will provide one if I can't.

So, guys - see you in Tahiti!!! :p

This may be one of the reasons the Australia/NZ cruise has not yet gone on sale.

Best to get this one sold out before opening up another exotic cruise way way far from the US.

Congratulations to those that are going. I suspect that (in the future) this will be the one cruise that everyone wishes they had done.

However, too close to the upcoming Asia cruise for me. My boss is flexible, but not that flexible!!!

As others have noted the pricing on this one is fantastic. Roughly half what you would normally pay (factoring in the airfare and current promotions on the Regent web site).

It will be a much more laidback affair, perhaps similar to the vibe on the first South America cruise, but no doubt worth doing.

Congrats again to those that were able to book today. We'll all want to see pictures and hear the stories when you get back.

if those of us on the Tahiti cruise get to book NZ/Australia? Now that would make this remarkable cruise all the more worthwhile. I'm betting that you guys on the Asia cruise will get first dibs, but we're not far behind you - timewise.

Now the daydreaming about Tahiti can begin. ;)

Considering even the cheapest inside room on the 7 day Mexico cruise is $949 and the cruise on the Paul Gauguin is $1499 and INCLUDES ALCOHOL, it is an amazing deal!!!! My bar bill is easily $500+ dollars :)

I am already booked on Solstice (Caribbean) in March, and Mariner (Mexico) in October, so really would need to give one of those up to do this as I am flat out of vacation time. It's very tempting to switch, but I think the big ship environment is more for me at this time in my life (mid 20's). I'm so jealous of everyone who can do this one! Take lots of pictures!!!!

sfgoguy - I think they'll open up the booking for the Australia/NZ cruise on Freedom this week (my guess), so you should be able to book on the PG for sure too!

I ran into a buddy of mine at the gym over the weekend. He was sporting a black and orange Atlantis duffle bag. I asked him about it and he said a friend had just gotten it, but didn't need it and so gave it to my buddy. It was really quite nice looking and I expect we'll see those bags in '09 and beyond in lieu of the grey and orange. Otherwise the bag looked the same.

Just a little more Atlantis trivia for those who are addicted! ;)

Its the best...period.

The PG has a sports platform in the stern...great for their kayacks. Suggest the wave runner around Bora Bora.....fun, wet, and beautiful scenery.

The beach party puts all other cruise beach parties to shame...the food fantastic, the open bar....what can I say. For those that water ski...thats available at the beach as well...no charge.

If there was anyway I could do it...I would. Having been on her for a 7 day and an 11 day cruise......I was spoiled. What she will be like when the new owners take her over in 2010 is any guess.

Note: hotels and food in Papeete are very expensive. Suggest going into town and eating from the vendors or hitting the open air market.

No gay bars in Papeete....buy eye candy is everywhere.

Of the two hotels I have tried...the Intercontinental is better than the Radisson.... based on price and location relative to down town Papeete.

Warning about the return. The airport terminal is open air and can be extremely warm and humid at night awaiting your return flight. Wear clothing that is cool and change stateside if returning to a cold locale.

Wish I could go.....but the Asia cruise has my money.

Note: hotels and food in Papeete are very expensive. Suggest going into town and eating from the vendors or hitting the open air market. Of the two hotels I have tried...the Intercontinental is better than the Radisson.... based on price and location relative to down town Papeete.

Tom, thanks for the Tahiti tips - especially the hotel suggestions. Now I just have to find a suitable cabin mate or take my lucky in the "singles share" lottery! :eek:

See you in SF in March as you're en route to Asia. :cool:

if those of us on the Tahiti cruise get to book NZ/Australia? Now that would make this remarkable cruise all the more worthwhile. I'm betting that you guys on the Asia cruise will get first dibs, but we're not far behind you - timewise.

Just a reminder, but Rich said that the Aus/NZ cruise would open to alumni, like the Asia cruise. Now, he could change his mind, but that's what he said.

Don't want to get anyone's hopes up (or perpetuate rumours).

Its the best...period.

I know you have done several gay cruises as have we and we are very tempted to do this one.

IYHO, is Tahiti really all that? Is it really all that spectacular and unique?

On your cruise, was there anything to do after dinner? I realize it won't be the Med cruise, especially given the size, but I don't want to be in bed by 10:00 either....

An internet search came up with this info on the Paul Gauguin's complimentary wine list. (Premium cocktails are complimentary, too!) This is almost as good as the stock in my "cave"! (Don't I wish.) There'll have to be lots of gym time to work off this alcohol consumption, guys. How many days until April 25th? :p

The Following Complimentary Wines

have been offered on past R.S.S.C. cruises

< <<<>>> >

Complimentary White Wines:

Alois Lageder, Pino Bianco, Alto Adige, Italy, 2000

Arrowood Chardonnay, Grand Archer, Sonoma, California 2000

Buehler Vineyards Chardonnay, St. Helena, California, 1999

Casillero del Diablo, Casablanca Valley, Chile, 2000

Chateau de la Vrillere, Muscadet-de-Sevre-et-Maine-sur Lie, Loire Valley, 1999

Chateau Haute-Selve, Graves, Bordeaux, France 1998

Chateau Reynella, Chardonnay, McLaren Vale, South East Australia 2000

Cuvaison, Carneros, Napa Valley, California 2000

Domaine William Fevre, Chablis, Burgundy, France 1999

Drouhin, Chablis, Burgundy, France, 2000

Ferrari-Carano, Fume Blanc, Sonoma County, California 2001

Flora Springs, Chardonnay Estate, Napa Valley, 2000

Georges Duboef, Chardonnay, Van de Pays d'Oc, France, 2000

Geyser Peak, Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma, California 2001

King Estate, Reserve Pinot Gris, Oregon 2001

Los Boldos, Chardonnay, Chile 2000

Macon-Lugny, Louis Jadot, Maconnais, Burgundy, France, 2000

Macon-Villages, Loron & Fils, Burgundy, France, 2000

Pinot Grigio, D.O.C., S. Margherita, Valdadiage, Italy, 2000

Pouilly-Fuisse, Bouchard Pere et fils, Maconnais, Burgandy, France 2000

Pouilly Fuisse, Drouhin, Burgundy, France, 2000

Sancerre, Domaine du rochoy, Loire Valley, France 2000

Stoneleigh, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand 2001

Complimentary Desert Wines

Beringer, White Zinfandel, California, 2000

Chateau de Monbazillac, Monbazillac, Bergarac, France 1995

Piesporter Michelsberg, Lange & Schafe, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Germany 1999

Complimentary Red Wines

Alapay Cellare, Santa Maria Valley, Pinot Noir, California 2000

Barbera d’Asti, Luigi Castino, Piedmonte, Italy, 1999

Barbera d’Asti, Superiore, Michele Chiarlo, D.O.C.G., Piemonte, Italy, 1999

Brouilly, Loron & Fils, Burgundy, France, 2000

Canyon Road, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma, California 1999

Centine, Rosso Toscano, Castello Banfi, Tuscany, Italy, 1999

Charles Krug, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, California, 1998

Chateau La Gaillarde, Premieres Cotes de Blaye, Bordeaux, France, 1998

Chateau Garraud, Lalande-de-Pomerol, Bordeaux, France, 1996

Chateau Le Bruilleau, Pessac-Leognan, Bordeaux, France, 1999

Chateauneuf du Pape, Georges Dubeouff, Southern Rhone Valley, France, 2001

Chateau Orme-Brun, Grand Cru, St. Emilion, France 1998

Chateau Peybonhomme-les-Tours, Premieres Cotes de Blaye, Bordeaux France, 1999

Chianti Classico, Riserva, Castello Banfi, Tuscany, Italy, 1998

Concha y Toro, Marques de Casa Concha, Merlot, Rapel Valley, Chile, 1998

Cote de Beaune-Villages, Louis Jadot, Burgundy, France, 1998

Cotes du Rhone, Loron & Fils, Rhone Valley, France, 2000

Crozes-Hermitages, Chapoutier, Rhone Valley, France 1998

Francis Coppola, Diamond Series Claret, California, 2000

Frank Phelan, Saint Estephe, 1997

King Estate, Reserve Pinot Gris Oregon 2000

La Chapelle du Romanin, Les Baux-de Provence, France 1998

Les Granges, Domaine E. Rothschild, Haut-Medoc, Bordeaux, France, 1999

Metala Shiraz-Cabernet, Langhorn Creek, South Australia 1998

Montes, Cabernet Sauvignon, Curico Valley, Chile, 1997

Montes, Merlot, Curica Valley, Chile, 2000

Moulin a Vent, Georges Duboeuf, Beaujolais, France, 2000

Niebaum-Coppola, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 1999

Niebaum-Coppola, Diamond Series Claret, California 2000

Phelan, St. Frank Estephe, Bordeaux, France 1999

Valley of the Moon, Zinfandel, Sonoma, California 1998

whether Regent Seven Seas is part of a larger cruise conglomerate? If so, which?

I've found that each Atlantis (and I presume RSVP) cruise, counts as a frequent cruiser "point" with the particular cruise line. For some who cruise frequently (with Atlantis, RSVP or not), those points can add up to significant perks.

Because of Atlantis, I'm now registered with Oceania and Celebrity and want to add Regent, too, if it's an option.

Thanks, guys, for any info. :)

Gary,

Regent, formerly Radisson Seven Seas was owned by the Carlson conglomerate...travel agencies, hotels, restaurants. Carlson sold the line supposedly because of family disputes and wanted out of the cruise business.

Once sold the name was changed to Regent Seven Seas. Regent was again sold, this time baught by Apollo that owns Oceania and I believe a large stake in NCL (Star no longer the sole owner of NCL).

Although upper management at Regent has remained in place, it apears staff from Oceania ships are being put on Regent ships.

As for the PG (Paul Guaguin), she is leaving the Regent Fleet in 2010, never owned by Radisson/Regent...just managed and marketed by them.

It is a shame the ship was not baught by Regent as it is a very special vessel...no bells and whistles, but perfect for the islands she inhabits.

Warning...sun block sun block sun block. The sun there is very strong and you can get burned easily. But once you have been to french Polynesia..you will want to return. At the prices quoted, this is the bet buy I have ever seen...wish I was going back to the PG

527.jpg.850445948a6e346cc2f46fbc4cb5a75f.jpg

So, it appears that cruising on the PG (as you put it), won't get us a point or two with a major cruise line. I will ask about the Oceania connection, since I have an "account" with them.

Of course, that's not the reason I'm on this cruise, but it would be a nice add-on.

Thanks, too, for the sunblock advice. Our cruise is during the Fr. Polynesian autumn and I'm hoping it's not too intense - sun-wise. Nevertheless, I'll take high-octane sunblock since my dermatolgist already is on my "speed dial" due to my youthful indiscretions. :eek: What time of year were your 2 cruises on the PG?

Come on, Tom, and join the fun we'll have. You only live once and it's not like you have to report back to work. The cabins appear to be selling fast. Several categories are sold out (and it's only been open for booking for 4-days). ;)

Just a quick note, since I saw people asking about how this itinerary could be so cheap.

I had the opportunity to talk with the owner of Atlantis for a decent amount of time on a recent Celebrity Solstice cruise. He mentioned that this itinerary was purchased from an insurance company or organization that had chartered the ship as an award for high-performers. Needless to say, they decided to dump it given the current economic enviornment and the general poor public image that is projected when executives are rewarded with lavish trips in the face of potential disaster. We all remember the way folks reacted to the AIG retreat right after the government bailout.

As such, Atlantis was able to secure the itinerary with the other company taking a major loss. I believe Rich mentioned that they had purchased it for something like 20-cents on the dollar. Likewise, there are group airfare rates coming online soon that will be quite appealing on Air Tahiti Nui.

I would absolutely love to go on this trip, but we've already got vacation plans for February (trying out the RSVP Eurodam trip) and May (land trip to St. Barts for a week). If we were able to squeeze another vacation into the middle of that, I'd jump on this in a heartbeat...it is a STEAL. You will NEVER see RSSC priced at these levels, much less for an all-gay charter.

Likewise, there are group airfare rates coming online soon that will be quite appealing on Air Tahiti Nui.

If we were able to squeeze another vacation into the middle of that, I'd jump on this in a heartbeat...it is a STEAL. You will NEVER see RSSC priced at these levels, much less for an all-gay charter.

Thanks for sharing the info. It's the old saying: "Someone's misfortune is someone else's good luck." I've heard from numereous sources who have been on this ship/itinerary that the price is unbelieveably low and, like you said, likely never to be repeated. I'm glad I had the opportunity to book.

The reference to the group rate on Air Tahiti Nui is good news, too. I haven't yet booked my air and wanted to wait until Atlantis announced something - even if it was that they couldn't secure a group rate. Since it's somewhat of a monopoly on that route, I'm not expecting much - but even a $100 or so would be welcome.

Thanks, again, for sharing the info and enjoy your vacations. :)

We did the Tahitian Princess 3 years ago, and can't wait to return. This is a no brainer for us. I'm waiting for a return call/e-mail to try to snap up a balcony stateroom. There is no other place that has been so magical for us. Motu picnics were fabulous, helmet dive was a blast.....until my tank ran out of air, talk about a scramble up in the boat! The people, scenery, and water activities are simply the best we've experienced. To top it off you're on the PG for a week with a bunch of Mo's!.....blah-blah-blah.

Besides, I need to pick up some more vanilla beans to make some kahlua

Hope to hear from someone early Monday morning so we can reserve our place.

S & G

Archived