Arthur

We are flying to FLL from MA on Thursday to board Vision--same day as cruise. Please no flames or snarky comments. We have precious little time off and this is the best we could do. Do any aviation folks have thoughts about the potential for canceled flights due to Arthur? We are leaving early a.m. Thursday. Arthur due to arrive in MA on Friday. Obviously, we will be flying away from the system going south as it moves north. Also will the pilot move the flight more inland instead of hugging the coast in these circumstances? Worried about air turbulence too. Thanks for any help.

We are flying down to FLL on Friday, to board the Carnival Breeze on Saturday.

I have the same concerns.

We are flying out of Bradley, in Connecticut.

I despise flying as it is, and now Friday sounds like AWFUL weather:eek::eek:

I was wondering the same thing.

Hopefully they will move it more inland and get away from the Atlantic.

Hey...no snarky comments! Sometimes, you simply can't go a day early...

The flight paths are usually ABOVE the storms....so you should be ok in that respect....hopefully, this storm will dissipate or move waaaaay offshore!

Good luck!

Hey...no snarky comments! Sometimes, you simply can't go a day early...

The flight paths are usually ABOVE the storms....so you should be ok in that respect....hopefully, this storm will dissipate or move waaaaay offshore!

Good luck!

You're right, storms usually never affect air travel.:rolleyes:

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg

Edited by clarea

I'm an aviation guy, and for almost 40 years.

Don't worry about it.

I have YET to fly in the day before a cruise, and have always made it. It's more fun that way! Wake up at home, go to bed on ship!!

Obviously, just be sure the flight gets off/in early. If, and that's a big IF, there are high winds at "MA" (is that Boston Logan?) that could cause some delays, but more for arrivals than departures.

Might you have some bumps? Sure, but it won't break the plane.

I don't see "Arthur" becoming a hurricane. It's sitting right off our coast right now smoking a cigar and having a Martini as it decides what to do.

Yes, the pilot can deviate as necessary en-route, just as they do with things MUCH worse, such as thunderstorms, something I have done more times than I can remember!

As a pilot, and as long as I can get the plane in the air, I'd rather deal with a tropical storm or hurricane than a thunderstorm while in flight. Remember, they fly planes INTO these storms / hurricanes to gather data about them, but they do not fly planes into thunderstorms.

You come back after your flight and cruise and tell me: "Lou, you were right", as I usually am. :cool:

I'm an aviation guy, and for almost 40 years.

Don't worry about it.

I have YET to fly in the day before a cruise, and have always made it. It's more fun that way! Wake up at home, go to bed on ship!!

Obviously, just be sure the flight gets off/in early. If, and that's a big IF, there are high winds at "MA" (is that Boston Logan?) that could cause some delays, but more for arrivals than departures.

Might you have some bumps? Sure, but it won't break the plane.

I don't see "Arthur" becoming a hurricane. It's sitting right off our coast right now smoking a cigar and having a Martini as it decides what to do.

Yes, the pilot can deviate as necessary en-route, just as they do with things MUCH worse, such as thunderstorms, something I have done more times than I can remember!

As a pilot, and as long as I can get the plane in the air, I'd rather deal with a tropical storm or hurricane than a thunderstorm while in flight. Remember, they fly planes INTO these storms / hurricanes to gather data about them, but they do not fly planes into thunderstorms.

You come back after your flight and cruise and tell me: "Lou, you were right", as I usually am. :cool:

I like your style Lou! We have a nonstop from BDL arriving at FLL at 11:00. I so appreciate your input. I know nothing is guaranteed, but feel alot better.

I don't want to cause anyone excessive worry, but the biggest problem (IMO) isn't how your area will be affected by the storm, but how all of the flights in the county fare.

If the plane you are flying on is delayed getting out of ATL (for example) there's a good chance your flight will be late even if the weather in your area is fine. If a major airport closes for an hour or two there are ripple effects that mess up flights all over the country. When they open the airport again, there are dozens and dozens of planes waiting to take off and getting them in the air eats up more time.

If you are on the first flight in the morning, that's usually a good thing (and what I try to do when travelling for business). If you have a 6 am flight the plane has usually spent the night at the airport you're flying out of, which is one less thing to worry about.

If your flight is cancelled the one piece of advice I can give you is to be very pleasant to the airline rep you end up talking with. They're having a horrible day too, and they do have some power. I once had a cross country flight canceled and the gate agent put me in a first class seat (ATL to SFO) even though I was flying coach! She could have bumped someone with higher loyalty status (and that was probably SOP) but I think she did it because I wasn't being a jerk like the guy before me.

What airline are you flying?

Good luck!

I don't want to cause anyone excessive worry, but the biggest problem (IMO) isn't how your area will be affected by the storm, but how all of the flights in the county fare.

If the plane you are flying on is delayed getting out of ATL (for example) there's a good chance your flight will be late even if the weather in your area is fine. If a major airport closes for an hour or two there are ripple effects that mess up flights all over the country. When they open the airport again, there are dozens and dozens of planes waiting to take off and getting them in the air eats up more time.

If you are on the first flight in the morning, that's usually a good thing (and what I try to do when travelling for business). If you have a 6 am flight the plane has usually spent the night at the airport you're flying out of, which is one less thing to worry about.

If your flight is cancelled the one piece of advice I can give you is to be very pleasant to the airline rep you end up talking with. They're having a horrible day too, and they do have some power. I once had a cross country flight canceled and the gate agent put me in a first class seat (ATL to SFO) even though I was flying coach! She could have bumped someone with higher loyalty status (and that was probably SOP) but I think she did it because I wasn't being a jerk like the guy before me.

Good luck!

We are flying Southwest 7:50 AM

Good luck!

You are correct in regards to your post as to weather and the ATC system, but we need to look at "Arthur" and what it may or may not do. Most disruptions to ATC are due to thunderstorms.

So, you are flying out early morning out of Boston. The plane landed the previous night and has been sitting there for this flight the next morning.

What is to stop it from departing? I'll tell you what, "Arthur" coming right over and hammering MA (BOS?) with 60 knot+ winds. I do not see that happening. This will not be a "super storm" Sandy of 2012.

I've been watching this thing and the predictions, and I do not see it going over Long Island, NY and up into MA.

Now here is the current prediction:

145625W5_NL_sm.gif

You see how it clips along the coast? I'm not saying it will be a day at the beach up north, but I think flights should be able to get outta town especially on Thursday. This thing, right now, is moving like a turtle.

It's easier to take off in high winds than it is to land in them- trust me!

Look, I could be wrong, and I have not examined other charts yet, but for now I will stand by my prediction that you can get from MA to FL on Thursday. My gosh, the latest prediction doesn't have it near MA until Saturday, and I think you could still fly outta town then too!:cool:

I'm a pilot in South Florida (Captain, Learjet 60 charter).

I wouldn't sweat this one too much where you are.

At WORST the flight may be deviated to an inland route (and not that far inland . . . basically hugging the coast down to Savannah).

You should not expect too many bumps, either, from this storm, based on its forecasted track.

The only thing I would be concerned about (and again, it's a low possibility due to the track) is that a delay somewhere else down the line would interfere with your plane's availability for the trip. Again, I don't see too many flight cancellations for this storm, since it should be well off-shore after hugging the Wilmington, NC area, and it's scheduled to be there on Thursday(ish).

I fly up and down the coast almost daily from Florida to New York and many, many, other destinations; however, I have yet to see an offshore hurricane (or tropical storm) interfere with north/south flights unless a departure/arrival city was directly in the storm's path.

You are more likely to be affected by a line of thunderstorms going across the country than this storm. That being said, I would be watching THIS line

. . . it has been wrecking havoc on the country as it goes east-southeast . . . .

Is it remotely possible to leave a day earlier? (for that line . . . ) Not trying to be an alarmist; but if your southwest plane is going through ATL you MAY have an issue . . . .

Best of luck . . . .

any questions, please feel free to ask!

usa.jpg.f977743af7e57cb7abd6fa23f6243fdf.jpg

Edited by robflys

At WORST the flight may be deviated to an inland route (and not that far inland . . . basically hugging the coast down to Savannah).

You should not expect too many bumps, either, from this storm, based on its forecasted track.

The only thing I would be concerned about (and again, it's a low possibility due to the track) is that a delay somewhere else down the line would interfere with your plane's availability for the trip. Again, I don't see too many flight cancellations for this storm, since it should be well off-shore after hugging the Wilmington, NC area, and it's scheduled to be there on Thursday(ish).

I fly up and down the coast almost daily from Florida to New York and many, many, other destinations; however, I have yet to see an offshore hurricane (or tropical storm) interfere with north/south flights unless a departure/arrival city was directly in the storm's path.

You are more likely to be affected by a line of thunderstorms going across the country than this storm. That being said, I would be watching THIS line

. . . it has been wrecking havoc on the country as it goes east-southeast . . . .

Best of luck . . . .

I am feeling so much better thank you very much for all replies. Not Logan, Bradley International in CT departure though. Winds are usually not a factor there.

Best of luck . . . .

And my opinion is vindicated! Thunderstorms can be the real issue.

Thank you, captain, for that sage opinion. :)

BTW, a Lear 60 can fly much higher than a 737! :D

True, Lou!

We usually file for FL 400-430. We fly higher than the airlines but we can only do about mach .78 to their .85!

Still fun!

You fly out of BCT? Flew out of Signature there for a while, now based at Atlantic in PBI. I live in coconut creek, so I'd rather be at FXE or BCT!

Edited by robflys

I was on the Allure during Hurricane Sandy and we were the last plane out of Fort Lauderdale and flew over Sandy on our way back to Baltimore. landing was not fun felt like something had hit the plane but the steward told us that the luggage had shifted we had the very last seats at the back of the plane. We missed our Jamaica stop and headed straight for Cozumel and on our way the Captain had talked to a Ship 150 miles behind us and they were experiencing 80 knot winds and 30 foot swells. When the ship hit the Atlantic the water was very rough we were on deck 10 and if you look out the window you could see another ship in the distance and then it would disappear when a wave would come up. Other than that the ship handled it real well.

Wendy

True, Lou!

We usually file for FL 400-430. We fly higher than the airlines but we can only do about mach .78 to their .85!

Still fun!

You fly out of BCT? Flew out of Signature there for a while, now based at Atlantic in PBI. I live in coconut creek, so I'd rather be at FXE or BCT!

Yes, BCT. FXE is cool. I remember one time going from Naples, FL to there, basically a straight shot across the state, and the tower tells me of a Lear behind me on final, and to keep my speed up. Ahhh... that's what's wonderful about the Cessna 210. I did final at about 140 kts until about a mile out, and then asked the tower about the Lear, and if I could slow down. "Oh yeah, you're fine!" Dropped the gear and flaps and I was at 80 kts before I knew it! LOL!! Of course that was just the start of the day, which then took us to Myrtle Beach for fuel, then to Caldwell, NJ (CDW) for our final stop. My friend and I were still at our local restaurant hangout for drinks by 8PM!:D

Also, I don't think a 737 does Mach .85, a 747 does that, but try to get a 747 above FL 400. A 737 does Mach .78, just like you!

Now, just get yourself a Citation X or Grumman G650, and .90+ is in the league!

Sorry to go OT here, folks!

Ok, so this stupid thing hasn't moved much overnight. Had a bit of panic when I realized that maybe flying IN to FLL might be an issue now tomorrow. Ok, aviation experts what say you now! I checked FLL airport and no delays there. Guess my issue now is turbulence. Terrified of that I must say.

Interesting stuff as far as Im concered :cool: I cant fly a plane or jet except on Flight Sim X :o but I love to read conversations about them :p

Yes, BCT. FXE is cool. I remember one time going from Naples, FL to there, basically a straight shot across the state, and the tower tells me of a Lear behind me on final, and to keep my speed up. Ahhh... that's what's wonderful about the Cessna 210. I did final at about 140 kts until about a mile out, and then asked the tower about the Lear, and if I could slow down. "Oh yeah, you're fine!" Dropped the gear and flaps and I was at 80 kts before I knew it! LOL!! Of course that was just the start of the day, which then took us to Myrtle Beach for fuel, then to Caldwell, NJ (CDW) for our final stop. My friend and I were still at our local restaurant hangout for drinks by 8PM!:D

Also, I don't think a 737 does Mach .85, a 747 does that, but try to get a 747 above FL 400. A 737 does Mach .78, just like you!

Now, just get yourself a Citation X or Grumman G650, and .90+ is in the league!

Had a similar experience going into DFW one time with my 210. Have a good friend who was a controller for DFW approach, and had learned much from him - including the average expected approach speeds for the commercial jets. Lots of thunderstorms in the area that day, middle of a push, the controller on the radio told me to "maintain current heading, stand by for hold instructions." I acknowledged but added that if helpful I could maintain 140 knots to the runway threshold. Those were the magic words - showed that I could do what was needed AND was well enough informed to KNOW what he needed! Within 30 seconds he gave me a vector to final, slotted me in between a 757 and an MD11 and said "maintain 140 knots."

Flew the final to the runway threshold at cruise power & configuration. Pulled power at the threshold, 10 degrees flaps, slowed to gear speed and dropped the gear and flaps to 20. Floated almost a mile down the runway before touching down, but that was just about right for the first high speed turn off on that 14,000 foot runway! :)

Ok, so this stupid thing hasn't moved much overnight. Had a bit of panic when I realized that maybe flying IN to FLL might be an issue now tomorrow. Ok, aviation experts what say you now! I checked FLL airport and no delays there. Guess my issue now is turbulence. Terrified of that I must say.

Relax! The storm is already north of Fort Lauderdale and by tomorrow, it will be somewhere around South Carolina. We're cruising out of Miami on Friday and don't expect any issues. I'm glad we'll be in the Bahamas this weekend and not the Outer Banks!

Relax! The storm is already north of Fort Lauderdale and by tomorrow, it will be somewhere around South Carolina. We're cruising out of Miami on Friday and don't expect any issues. I'm glad we'll be in the Bahamas this weekend and not the Outer Banks!

Thanks. Yes, glad we aren't going out of Baltimore to Caribbean OR up for a Canada cruise. Yuck.