San Juan Beach Break at Uno Beach Club

New Jersey Jewel

On October 24, 2015 my husband and I were looking for something to do after our cruise as our flight for New York did not leave until 6:45 pm. After much research we decided to do the “San Juan Beach Break at Uno Beach Club”. This excursion far exceeded our expectations! For $45 each we got to relax on the most beautiful white sandy beach and swim in the warmest most beautiful water in all of Puerto Rico. As our taxi pulled up Esther’s staff rushed up to take our luggage and put it in a secure place while we changed into our bathing suits. We were then taken to the beach while David set up our chairs and umbrella on any spot we liked. He then gave us six tickets each for any drinks of our choice to be used at any time throughout the day. At lunch he brought over the menu where we each chose a delicious chicken wrap to be delivered to our chairs (there is a restaurant inside if you choose). All of this was included in the $45.00! When it came time to go to the airport, Esther called a taxi while we changed, and we were on our way. While this hotel is small, it is immaculate and charming. Everyone on the staff could not have been more accommodating and helpful throughout our stay. The name of the hotel is Numero 1, 1 Santa Ana, Ocean Park, San Juan Puerto Rico, telephone 787-727-5010. We highly recommend, and we will definitely stay at this guest house on the beach the next time we are in San Juan!:)

Yes, lunch is included. Taxi from the port to the hotel is not included, it was $17 for the two of us with luggage, and Esther called a taxi for us to go to the airport when we were ready to leave, which was $21 for the two of us with luggage. Everything went very smoothly, and it was a wonderful ending to a delightful cruise. Have a great trip!

Yes, lunch is included. Taxi from the port to the hotel is not included, it was $17 for the two of us with luggage, and Esther called a taxi for us to go to the airport when we were ready to leave, which was $21 for the two of us with luggage. Everything went very smoothly, and it was a wonderful ending to a delightful cruise. Have a great trip!

That sounds like the beach break i took with island marketing. I had a great experience as well, Did you book with them?

Thank you so much for posting. I was looking at this thru Island Marketing, but was concerned about how much/how long the taxi ride would be and also the availability of getting one back to the ship. This definitely relieves my mind. Thank you!

We just did this on 11/5/15. Beach is nice. Food was good. Drinks were not good. We ended up getting most of our drinks because our waiter wasn't that attentive. He got us the first drink and set up our chairs and umbrellas and told us when lunch was and we really never saw him again. There is a bathroom to use and an outdoor shower to rinse off sand. Just beware. Be prepared for the tip being added to the bill and they do the tip, not you. I wasn't happy because the service was so poor, there is no way I would have tipped what they gave me. We paid at the end and I was a little annoyed because I would have liked that surprise addition of a massive tip told to me beforehand so I would have enough money. The gentleman at the bar who took my money wasn't very friendly about it at all. They would not take credit card from me. It was nice for a 7a to 2p port stop but I will not return and I really can't recommend it. Maybe someone else will have or has had a better experience.

We just did this on 11/5/15. Beach is nice. Food was good. Drinks were not good. We ended up getting most of our drinks because our waiter wasn't that attentive. He got us the first drink and set up our chairs and umbrellas and told us when lunch was and we really never saw him again. There is a bathroom to use and an outdoor shower to rinse off sand. Just beware. Be prepared for the tip being added to the bill and they do the tip, not you. I wasn't happy because the service was so poor, there is no way I would have tipped what they gave me. We paid at the end and I was a little annoyed because I would have liked that surprise addition of a massive tip told to me beforehand so I would have enough money. The gentleman at the bar who took my money wasn't very friendly about it at all. They would not take credit card from me. It was nice for a 7a to 2p port stop but I will not return and I really can't recommend it. Maybe someone else will have or has had a better experience.

I also took advantage of this tour but had a different experience. I had the best Rum punch i every had and i found the food to be very tasty.

When you say a massive tip what do you mean? %15 percent was added to mine and i find that is the norm. I have had more added to my bill in certain hotels depending on their policies.

I too was told no Credit cards, i dont like carrying that much cash but i have also had an issue with credit card machines not working and was stuck with a problem paying. I know withdraw when i need it and always have cash when i travel. Costs a little but better safe than sorry.

I also took advantage of this tour but had a different experience. I had the best Rum punch i every had and i found the food to be very tasty.

When you say a massive tip what do you mean? %15 percent was added to mine and i find that is the norm. I have had more added to my bill in certain hotels depending on their policies.

I too was told no Credit cards, i dont like carrying that much cash but i have also had an issue with credit card machines not working and was stuck with a problem paying. I know withdraw when i need it and always have cash when i travel. Costs a little but better safe than sorry.

I said the food was good. We didn't have rum punch. Service was not good. My objection was a 22% tip for subpar service. I would not have tipped that much especially when we got the drinks ourselves and tipped the bartender. The beach was nice and water was great. I wanted to give people an FYI about the tip and service. Maybe others will be lucky.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So what is this 22% tip go for? The entire price of $45pp or are you talking about anything that you purchased above and beyond the package? If the package includes your day there, lounge chairs, a meal and 6 drink tickets...what part is being charged the 22%? How could they possibly split it up if you are tipping for just the food/drinks/service? I'm confused (unless you are saying your purchased, for instance, more drinks and the price of those drinks had the tip added??)

So what is this 22% tip go for? The entire price of $45pp or are you talking about anything that you purchased above and beyond the package? If the package includes your day there, lounge chairs, a meal and 6 drink tickets...what part is being charged the 22%? How could they possibly split it up if you are tipping for just the food/drinks/service? I'm confused (unless you are saying your purchased, for instance, more drinks and the price of those drinks had the tip added??)

I tried to find my confirmation and could not from last year. What i do remember is that we were charged the package price then tax then a tip.

At the time the tax was %7 and the tip %15....i think thats where the %22 comes from.

I already inquired for my up coming trip and it seems that they no longer have the tax as an extra charge but included in the price! The kids rates have droped drastically and very inexpensive too. Of coarse the tip is extra and totally normal.

I tried to find my confirmation and could not from last year. What i do remember is that we were charged the package price then tax then a tip.

At the time the tax was %7 and the tip %15....i think thats where the %22 comes from.

I already inquired for my up coming trip and it seems that they no longer have the tax as an extra charge but included in the price! The kids rates have droped drastically and very inexpensive too. Of coarse the tip is extra and totally normal.

So if the price per adult is $45...then that's ALL you will be charged correct? No 7% or 15% right? Is that what you are saying? Then you are free to tip accordinly yourself.

ADULTS 18YRS AND UP

$90.00

TEENS 12-17yrs

$27.00

Total:

$117.00

Deposit (Billed by Island Marketing ltd (Cayman):

$27.00

Total due at time of Excursion:

$90.00

A %15 GRATUITY WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR FINAL BILL

US CASH ONLY, no credit cards please.

This is from confirmation just received, shows 15% tip will be added to final bill. If I only use what is included, this amt would be final bill, right?

ADULTS 18YRS AND UP

$90.00

TEENS 12-17yrs

$27.00

Total:

$117.00

Deposit (Billed by Island Marketing ltd (Cayman):

$27.00

Total due at time of Excursion:

$90.00

A %15 GRATUITY WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR FINAL BILL

US CASH ONLY, no credit cards please.

This is from confirmation just received, shows 15% tip will be added to final bill. If I only use what is included, this amt would be final bill, right?

Thats what i had but it also had a tax, they have removed it since i went. You will pay $90 + %15 gratuity, $103.50 should be your total at the end unless you drink more than the package.

So if the price per adult is $45...then that's ALL you will be charged correct? No 7% or 15% right? Is that what you are saying? Then you are free to tip accordinly yourself.

NO what i was trying to say is that there is no more tax (%7) it is now included in the price. They will add the %15 tip on top of your $45.00 or whatever your final bill is.

They make you pay upfront at check in but because I stayed all day i gave my credit card and opened an account. I new i would pass the package that i bought.

NO what i was trying to say is that there is no more tax (%7) it is now included in the price. They will add the %15 tip on top of your $45.00 or whatever your final bill is.

They make you pay upfront at check in but because I stayed all day i gave my credit card and opened an account. I new i would pass the package that i bought.

Oh ok. So when we check in and pay the amount remaining (say the $90, shown above, due after paying the deposit) then if you don't buy any additional food or drinks not included in the package, then before you leave they are going to come and ask for their 15% of $17.55 on the total $117.00? (Just using the example above that someone posted). It just seems weird to me instead of just letting us tip how we feel or just adding it in to the total price that you give them in the beginning.

I'm only questioning it because I have booked with places before that also stated there was a 15% gratuity added to the bill and we only paid the balance and they never ask for the 15% at any other time. We end up tipping at our discretion at the end to whoever served us. :cool:

Oh ok. So when we check in and pay the amount remaining (say the $90, shown above, due after paying the deposit) then if you don't buy any additional food or drinks not included in the package, then before you leave they are going to come and ask for their 15% of $17.55 on the total $117.00? (Just using the example above that someone posted). It just seems weird to me instead of just letting us tip how we feel or just adding it in to the total price that you give them in the beginning.

I'm only questioning it because I have booked with places before that also stated there was a 15% gratuity added to the bill and we only paid the balance and they never ask for the 15% at any other time. We end up tipping at our discretion at the end to whoever served us. :cool:

I hate paying for a tip in advance as well. When i asked why i was told that most people just do not leave a %15 tip, either they are Europeans or just think that they do not need to.

You will pay the remaining balance upon arrival at the front desk in total. Unless you think you will pass your budget and leave a credit card with them as i did.

I was the one who posted this regarding tipping. We did not order any extra food. We ended up not even using all of the drink coupons. We got our drinks ourselves although our waiter did bring the first set of drinks. I don't enjoy tipping 22% when there was very little service. I would have stuck with 15% for putting chairs up (which my husband helped with :rolleyes:) and giving us one set of drinks. If he had done his job, I would have probably tipped him 30 plus percent. Maybe you may be luckier; some people were. I did let them know I was not pleased when I paid the bill and in an email to them afterwards. I did address 2x during the day the fact that my server was non existent and it was not crowded. We were the only family there with the pass. There is so much to do in San Juan that is less expensive. If I would do it again, Id pay the cab fare and go to another better beach or stick with old san juan and forego the beach that port stop.

Regarding the 22% confusion. When i did the math it was 22%. I was told 15%. THEY added the extra amount. It irked me because of the service. The man assisting me was very rude. Others may have had a different experience. I don't think it was worth it. I've had a better experience at wildwood and the rest of the jersey shore. Yes, I'm from jersey and it is not a criticism of Jersey shore.

Aww hate that you did not get the service you were hoping for. We went ahead and booked this and I hope we get better service and enjoy the place. We'll see. I will have a full review with pictures when I return for those that are wanting to check it out. :)

Aww hate that you did not get the service you were hoping for. We went ahead and booked this and I hope we get better service and enjoy the place. We'll see. I will have a full review with pictures when I return for those that are wanting to check it out. :)

Hey Mitsugirly...just realized you're cruising on Saturday. Enjoy the Breeze. :cool:

Do try the terminal suites and pool in the spa at least once. And the Ropes course. Be curious as to how you find St Kitts. This is our itinerary next Janauary on the Vista so looking forward to your review next month.:)

Best Crew.

I was there 2 weeks ago. The place was good, not fantastic. A beach with chairs, umbrellas and 6 drinks and a few choices for lunch for $45 is pretty good. The beach is huge and very public, but because it is so big there plenty of room for all.

As far as the price goes, here is what I did. The bill was a total of $180 for 4 adults. I know they like cash, because as in any business, cash is king. I went to pay our balance of $140 on a CC by mistake and the owner said cash only when he was standing right next to a CC machine. I said OK, cash with no tax? He was more than happy to do it.

I will be going back next time as there are not many beach options in San Jaun.