Rhapsody or Splendour? Greek Isles 2015

We are looking at a 2015 Summer Med Cruise. We've had it on our wish list for a long time now, and since Carnival isn't putting a ship over until 2016 in the Med, and our only Royal Caribbean cruise was during Hurricane Sandy and it was very unpleasant. However, I am a firm believer in second chances, and "Buy One get the 2nd 50% off" sales :D

Anyway, both leave from Italy and head for the Greek Isles. I've personally always wanted to see Rome, and the sailaway from Venice is suppose to be beautiful, but after looking more into it, we could take a train from Rome to Venice or vice versa, so I'm not looking at departure ports anymore.

Both are 7 days, 4 Ports of Call.

Rhapsody-Leaving from Rome, going to Santorini, Athens, Mykonos and Katakolon.

Splendour-Leaving from Venice, going to Dubrovnik, Santorini, Katakolon and Ephesus

Which do you think is the better ship, and itinerary? I'm focused more on the itinerary however.

Thanks!

We are looking at a 2015 Summer Med Cruise. We've had it on our wish list for a long time now, and since Carnival isn't putting a ship over until 2016 in the Med, and our only Royal Caribbean cruise was during Hurricane Sandy and it was very unpleasant. However, I am a firm believer in second chances, and "Buy One get the 2nd 50% off" sales :D

Anyway, both leave from Italy and head for the Greek Isles. I've personally always wanted to see Rome, and the sailaway from Venice is suppose to be beautiful, but after looking more into it, we could take a train from Rome to Venice or vice versa, so I'm not looking at departure ports anymore.

Splendour-Leaving from Venice, going to Dubrovnik, Santorini, Katakolon and Ephesus

Which do you think is the better ship, and itinerary? I'm focused more on the itinerary however.

Thanks!

We initially booked the splendor itinerary, then saw the rhapsody itinerary and switched. While we've itching to go back to Venice, we really wanted to focus on Greece.

Ships are fairly comparable. The Splendor is a slightly different variation of the Vision class, with the Rhapsody being slightly larger.

We have been to all of these ports except for Mykonos and Ephesus. We liked Rome much better then Venice. In my opinion if you are focused on Greece as long as Santorini is in the mix you can't go wrong. That place was amazing! I will say Dubrovnik was really awesome too bc it was somewhere totally different. You can't go wrong with either of these itineraries. Sorry that wasn't much help, good luck choosing!

Thanks!

I have done Splendour out of Venice, it was fabulous my favourite sail away, would choose it again and again without doubt, Dubrovnik was beautiful and so is Santorini. Splendour would be my choice

I have done Splendour out of Venice, it was fabulous my favourite sail away, would choose it again and again without doubt, Dubrovnik was beautiful and so is Santorini. Splendour would be my choice

I agree with this, no question :)

Venice has to be one of THE best sailaways ever! Santorini is magical! Ephesus is one of the most interesting places I have been. Dubrovnik, wonderful. Splendour is a lovely small ship and we have sailed on her a few times. To be honest, both will be great. Splendour would be my choice though :D

We are doing Rhapsody but the 10 day one out of Rome. This is due to the group that we are traveling with. Fits their schedule better. If I go all the way to Europe, I want to see as much as I can. My wife and I really wanted to do B2B on Splendor out of Venice as it hit all the ports (different itineraries). But again, it didn't work into our friends schedule, and it's his "retirement" cruise. Either one would be great.

Have you consider the Rhapsody July 3rd sailing? We chose this one because it starts in Istanbul, and had the "must" do Greek islands. We are going to take a week to visit Rome, Tuscany/Florence, and Venice after the cruise. It's a bit more than the 7 night options, but we thought it was worth it!

Ports of Call:

Istanbul, Turkey; Thessaloniki, Greece; Mykonos, Greece; Santorini, Greece; Piraeus (Athens), Greece; Messina (Sicily), Italy; Naples (Capri), Italy; Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

I just came back from a btb cruise on the Splendour. Despite her age (18), she is a beautiful ship and very well maintained. The only negative thing I can say is that the food was not as good as HAL or Princess especially in the buffet restaurant (Windjammer) which was always overcrowded and the food never tasted fresh. As for the Venice sailaway, it was spectacular. Unfortunately, as of 2015, the ships will not be able to continue this route because of environmental concerns. I am so glad that I was able to experience it.

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

I am thinking on doing the Rhapsody cruise August 2, 2015, it is a hard decision to make.

To the people who have done these cruises.

On a Caribbean cruise, you travel at night and dock at a town and there is nothing to see except the ocean. On an Inside passage Alaska, there is scenery to see along the way until you dock.

What do you see along the way?

I am trying to figure out should I go with a ocean view or a balcony.

Have you consider the Rhapsody July 3rd sailing? We chose this one because it starts in Istanbul, and had the "must" do Greek islands. We are going to take a week to visit Rome, Tuscany/Florence, and Venice after the cruise. It's a bit more than the 7 night options, but we thought it was worth it!

Ports of Call:

Istanbul, Turkey; Thessaloniki, Greece; Mykonos, Greece; Santorini, Greece; Piraeus (Athens), Greece; Messina (Sicily), Italy; Naples (Capri), Italy; Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

I personally think both itineraries are a mistake. I did a lot of research about what I wanted to see, which ports are important to me, etc. Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos and Athens are all "musts", you can add Ephesus in there as well. There are very few cruises that do all of them in one shot. I was fortunate to choose the Constellation (Celebrity) at that time 3 yrs ago leaving Istanbul... btw, Istanbul by far and away a "must see" now as well. This itinerary and cruise is in my top 3 ever (out of about 25 cruises)

Celebrity's Reflection does an excellent 10-day itinerary in 2015. Constellation does an incredible 14-day including Split & Dubrovnik!!!! Both of these itineraries are much much better than RCL's 7 day. Cruising the European ports, imho, is not about the ship at all, but about site seeing the history and so forth. It should be very port intensive and little time at sea.

whycruisewhynot is right... Best itinerary is Rhapsody 9 day repositioning from Istanbul to Rome (Istanbul is awesome!!!), and you would get to Rome. The next best Greece itineraries are not until Sept on Rhapsody.

If you have to choose a summer itinerary on Splendour or Rhapsody, my vote is Splendour out of Venice as it has 3 must see ports of call: Dubrovnik, Santorini & Ephesus.... but you miss Athens & Mykonos [sigh}. Again look at the 1st itineraries I mentioned above if you can.

Whatever you choose have an awesome cruise! :D