Does travel insurance cover if you can't go due to a family member illness?

molly361

I looks like most policies cover you if you and/or your travel partner get ill and can't travel.

I am looking for something that would also cover you if you can't go due to illness and/or death of a family member.

Would you need a cancel for any reason policy for that type of coverage?

Thanks

That reason is usually covered in standard policy on trip insurance of 3rd party insurance. It does not need to be covered under cancel for any reason. You may need to confirm though with your insurance company if your kind of plan covers this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We charged a family cruise on our chase explorer credit card ($100 per year). When our granddaughter and her parents were unable to go because our granddaughter had a ruptured appendix, the card paid out her and her parents trip costs in full.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Viv0828

What about princess insurance, I get overwhelmed w/ all the reading about insurance policies. I simply want an insurance that will pay if someone in my family dies, needs serious surgery, car wreck where there in the hospital, and if someone who cruises w/ me becomes ill/hospital, etc and can't go, does the princess insurance cover this?

What about princess insurance, I get overwhelmed w/ all the reading about insurance policies. I simply want an insurance that will pay if someone in my family dies, needs serious surgery, car wreck where there in the hospital, and if someone who cruises w/ me becomes ill/hospital, etc and can't go, does the princess insurance cover this?

They all have limitations on what they will consider a "family member". So if you're worried about a specific person be sure the relationship qualifies. For emample, most will cover a domestic partner, but what qualifies as a "domestic partner". Others will only cover family members living in North America so if you have a chlld or other immediate family member living/studying/working overseas you may be out of luck there. Be sure to read the fine print.

Edited by cruiseco

, does the princess insurance cover this?

Maybe

You need to read the policy. It's not that difficult. If it is too difficult to understand, then you need help from your travel agent or insurance provider.

The definition of a family member is easily defined somewhere in the policy. What or who qualifies as a member of your traveling partner is defined.

Your mentioned instances are covered reasons for trip cancellation. They will pay you the benefits, up to the maximum benefit amount shown in the Confirmation of Benefits according to your plan.

Your mentioned instances are covered reasons for trip cancellation. They will pay you the benefits, up to the maximum benefit amount shown in the Confirmation of Benefits according to your plan.

Thank you, I'm thinking about my 90 yr old mom and my kids, husband, so my immediate family and mom

The wise man sayeth....read the policy (before you purchase). You would certainly want to determine what family members are covered (this could be in the definitions or a section in the policy) and you would also want to know the limitations on what is a covered illness. Just being "sick" may not be sufficient.

Hank

You also have some exclusions for pre existing conditions. I buy my coverage through insuremytrip.com. Call them and they will help,you sort through policies to get the best one for your situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I looks like most policies cover you if you and/or your travel partner get ill and can't travel.

I am looking for something that would also cover you if you can't go due to illness and/or death of a family member.

Would you need a cancel for any reason policy for that type of coverage?

Thanks

We purchased a policy from a well known .com TA and it covered us when my brother-in-law became ill (he was not traveling with us).

I posted the claim experience here if you are really bored:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2207632

• 3 weeks later...

We are booked on 3/28 Star Princess 10 day cruise to Mexico. I have a cousin (more like a brother to me) who was recently diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. We changed our original policy with Princess to a cancel for any reason within 3 days of departure for additional $58 added to original $158 each. The policy provides 75% refund of total paid if we use it. What bothers me is the fact Princess will not refund our Future Cruise Certificate value, even though they have been sitting on that money for a year. Since I am looking at $1000 loss has anyone received refund or future cruise credit for the amount not covered by insurance? We are Platinum with Princess and I used my Delta Platinum AMEX card to purchase cruise, not sure if AMEX will cover the difference but I will be checking with them.

We are booked on 3/28 Star Princess 10 day cruise to Mexico. I have a cousin (more like a brother to me) who was recently diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. We changed our original policy with Princess to a cancel for any reason within 3 days of departure for additional $58 added to original $158 each. The policy provides 75% refund of total paid if we use it. What bothers me is the fact Princess will not refund our Future Cruise Certificate value, even though they have been sitting on that money for a year. Since I am looking at $1000 loss has anyone received refund or future cruise credit for the amount not covered by insurance? We are Platinum with Princess and I used my Delta Platinum AMEX card to purchase cruise, not sure if AMEX will cover the difference but I will be checking with them.

Did you change your policy after this diagnosis? If so, I am not sure that "cancel for any reason" will cover this; it's now a pre-existing condition. I think if it was covered, you get a cruise credit back, not actual cash.

Edited by 6rugrats