QM2 Inside Staterooms

Underwatr

We're watching fares for a 2016 transatlantic crossing. Since our intent is transport to Europe as much as the experience of the crossing we're considering booking an inside this time (we've generally booked a sheltered balcony on QM2).

Is the fare difference in classes IA through IF purely due to location? Are there preferable grades or specific staterooms in terms of volume or layout?

We've seen an accessible Inside stateroom or two and they appear to be larger but we're not interested in occupying one at the expense of someone who would need one.

We're watching fares for a 2016 transatlantic crossing. Since our intent is transport to Europe as much as the experience of the crossing we're considering booking an inside this time (we've generally booked a sheltered balcony on QM2).

Is the fare difference in classes IA through IF purely due to location? Are there preferable grades or specific staterooms in terms of volume or layout?

We've seen an accessible Inside stateroom or two and they appear to be larger but we're not interested in occupying one at the expense of someone who would need one.

Hi Underwatr,

I've had several inside cabins in differing locations (high up/low down, midship/nearer the pointy bit) on QM2 over the years, they were all identical size/layout.

So I would suggest, based on my experience, that position is the only reason for differing grades.

(I once had an inside cabin (Deck 6) almost directly under the "Commodore's cufflinks" on a particularly rough winter crossing. During the storms... did that cabin ever move continuously up and down (like living in a lift) day after day; I could hear (and feel) the bow hitting every wave all night, every night whilst the storms continued :eek: )

(I was allocated an accessible cabin on one cruise (my booked cabin was "flooded") and enjoyed the extra space in the cabin, but didn't like the bathroom layout)

I wouldn't hesitate to book an inside cabin on QM2 again, esp on a crossing (just not near the bow!).

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

I'm with Peppern regarding location. Closer to the bow and there is a little more (and little different) movement. Maybe, more "roll."

We stayed under the Chef's Galley once and there was a 3 a.m. noise that sounded like a giant cheese grater (scraping noise) which might have been a floor buffer (???) It wasn't a loud noise, but it occurred nightly.

One needs to study deck plans and see what is above and below. No matter, pack earplugs, just in case. There are things you can't see on a deck plan, like loud people who have extended conversations in the hallway late at night across from your cabin….

Inside cabins on the QM2 are cozy. I don't find this objectionable in any way. Storage is adequate. Price is usually good. And, views are available elsewhere on the ship. I don't think your crossing would be adversely affected if you gave up the balcony.

My feeling is that there are actual wheelchair-dependent people who should be given first crack at the wheelchair accessible rooms. We had a fellow in a motorized chair next door on one crossing whom we could hear occasionally bumping into the wall. He really could have used more space for maneuvering.

Location does seem the factor that categorizes a cabin (and the price) with more expense in the ship's midsection. We have always felt a well-placed inside cabin was preferable to a balcony at the far-ends of the ship. But, there are some who report being lulled by the ship's more extreme movements, having wonderful sleep. Choice of location comes down to personal preference whatever category one books.

Have a wonderful voyage, underwatr!

The only obvious difference I've seen is that 1A have a window--on the atrium.

Otherwise, the differences seem to based theoretically based on location, but the higher decks have the higher prices while the lower decks are more stable. I have a 1F on my upcoming crossing, reasonably midship and low. If booking a guarantee I would probably pick a 1A or 1B with the idea that an upgrade would be to something with a window.

Roy

I'm with Peppern regarding location.

Location does seem the factor that categorizes a cabin (and the price) with more expense in the ship's midsection. We have always felt a well-placed inside cabin was preferable to a balcony at the far-ends of the ship. But, there are some who report being lulled by the ship's more extreme movements, having wonderful sleep. Choice of location comes down to personal preference whatever category one books.

Have a wonderful voyage, underwatr!

I always find it interesting that four of her Q2/Q3 suites are as forward as one can get!! - and they are not cheap!!

Thanks, everyone. And is it true that they're all "Standard Insides" (aside from the atrium view insides) and none of them are "Deluxe Insides" like on QV and QE (and therefore none have a sofa/loveseat)?

That is correct. No sofa. There is a small round table and chair that is used for the desk and the table. The bathroom and closets are the same as in most other Britannia cabins.

That is correct. No sofa. There is a small round table and chair that is used for the desk and the table. The bathroom and closets are the same as in most other Britannia cabins.

I believe there two chairs. One is under the desk and one is by the small (but always in-the-way) table.

We have asked for the small table to be removed (stored in service area by the steward).

Jimmybean

I believe there two chairs. One is under the desk and one is by the small (but always in-the-way) table. ... Jimmybean
Yes you're correct, two chairs (one desk, one with arms).

Standard QM2 inside cabin seen here:

QM2 INSIDE CABINS

QM2 INSIDE CABINS

QM2 INSIDE CABINS

(showing both chairs and the small table).

Inside accessible cabin shown towards the end of this set:

(Of course some of the furnishings have changed since the photos were taken, and will change again next summer)

A very Merry Christmas to you, jimmybean :)

The only obvious difference I've seen is that 1A have a window--on the atrium.

Otherwise, the differences seem to based theoretically based on location, but the higher decks have the higher prices while the lower decks are more stable. I have a 1F on my upcoming crossing, reasonably midship and low. If booking a guarantee I would probably pick a 1A or 1B with the idea that an upgrade would be to something with a window.

Roy

Hi Roy

We have had the atrium inside cabin on the QM2. It was great! There are only 6 of these on a side. Deck 5 & 6. Not easy to get. If you can, grab the chance. It is worth your while.

Regards

Skillies

Hi Roy We have had the atrium inside cabin on the QM2. It was great! There are only 6 of these on a side. Deck 5 & 6. Not easy to get. If you can, grab the chance. It is worth your while. Regards Skillies
You're not kidding! At least twice I've booked an Atrium View (so I could photograph one), and each time I've been upgraded... so I've yet to stay in one!

Merry Christmas :) ,

Edited by pepperrn

You're not kidding! At least twice I've booked an Atrium View (so I could photograph one), and each time I've been upgraded... so I've yet to stay in one!

Merry Christmas :) ,

Hi Pepper

Lucky you! What were you upgraded to?

Enjoy you Christmas celebrations.

Regards

Skillies

Hi Pepper Lucky you! What were you upgraded to? Enjoy you Christmas celebrations. Regards Skillies
Hi Skillies, once to a "sheltered balcony" cabin all the way aft on Deck 6 (a very long walk to the Commodore Club (and an even longer stroll heading back ;) )), and I think another time was to an Ocean View (?) :) . Edited by pepperrn

Yes you're correct, two chairs (one desk, one with arms).

Standard QM2 inside cabin seen here:

QM2 INSIDE CABINS

QM2 INSIDE CABINS

QM2 INSIDE CABINS

(showing both chairs and the small table).

Inside accessible cabin shown towards the end of this set:

(Of course some of the furnishings have changed since the photos were taken, and will change again next summer)

A very Merry Christmas to you, jimmybean :)

Without the glass elevators in the lobby, I would imagine those atrium cabins will have more privacy. I would think that would make them more desirable.

Merry Christmas to you, in your part of the world, Pepper!

Jimmybean

There are things you can't see on a deck plan, like loud people …

Inside cabins on the QM2 are cozy. I don't find this objectionable in any way. Storage is adequate. Price is usually good. And, views are available elsewhere on the ship. I don't think your crossing would be adversely affected if you gave up the balcony.

Great comments!

Sums up the inside cabin experience perfectly

Thanks for your help everyone. Because the May 17 crossing will be the last eastbound Transatlantic for about a month, sales are brisk including Insides. When I visited there were no grade IC staterooms on 4 and only one on 5 which was accessible, and YoYo advised me that we'd get bumped out of there if anyone later needs an accessible stateroom. We've booked one of the insides on Deck 11 forward of the B lifts.

I'd like one of the ones that overlook the Atrium. Just make sure your robe is on when the elevators pass by. I'd hate to "moon" a pax who might be a Werewolf on an elevator. Would make it really unpleasant for the other pax on the elevator!

I'd like one of the ones that overlook the Atrium. Just make sure your robe is on when the elevators pass by. I'd hate to "moon" a pax who might be a Werewolf on an elevator. Would make it really unpleasant for the other pax on the elevator!

I always think the problem would be that you look directly into the opposite atrium cabins.