1st trip - is this plan doable?

cruiseintoheaven

Hey everyone - looking for some advice - will be here from 7am to 6pm. From what I can see, only two ships in port that day (Thursday Nov. 13) so that may make a difference(?)

Would like to see Marigot, shop a bit in Phillipsburgh, see a few planes at Maho, and......find a beach to relax at and have lunch.

Requirements for beach are: not overly crowded, good food, bathroom facilities. Thinking of either Dreams on Nettle Bay, or Palm Beach on Orient Beach.

Current thinking is, get off ship, head to beach, relax and have lunch, head to Marigot for dessert/walk, then Maho, then back to Phillipsburgh for shopping and back to ship.

Does this sound doable? Any thoughts on either of the beaches I'm looking at? Haven't decided yet on bus/taxi/renting a car either.

Also, I've seen on here that prime time for planes is mid-day....does that mean there are fewer later in the afternoon, or none??

Thanks for any help you can provide! Lynn

Hey everyone - looking for some advice - will be here from 7am to 6pm. From what I can see, only two ships in port that day (Thursday Nov. 13) so that may make a difference(?)

Would like to see Marigot, shop a bit in Phillipsburgh, see a few planes at Maho, and......find a beach to relax at and have lunch.

Requirements for beach are: not overly crowded, good food, bathroom facilities. Thinking of either Dreams on Nettle Bay, or Palm Beach on Orient Beach.

Current thinking is, get off ship, head to beach, relax and have lunch, head to Marigot for dessert/walk, then Maho, then back to Phillipsburgh for shopping and back to ship.

Does this sound doable? Any thoughts on either of the beaches I'm looking at? Haven't decided yet on bus/taxi/renting a car either.

Also, I've seen on here that prime time for planes is mid-day....does that mean there are fewer later in the afternoon, or none??

It does seem that you are trying to do everything in one day and I also agree you will be rushed trying to enjoy yourself.

It is a long walk from Marigot to Maho. I would skip your dessert in Marigot and just do a beach, maybe Mullet Bay and then walk over to Maho Beach to see the planes. Plenty of taxis at Maho to take you back to Philipsburg.

You can take a bus for $2 over to Mullet Bay or a taxi approx. $7 pp. You may also have time left over for shopping in Philipsburg by not going to Marigot.

The flight schedule for Maho beach is below is only for a 24 hour period. When it get closer to your sail date, a week before, check the schedule below on the *day* you will arrive. So if you arrive on a Thursday, check the Thursday prior to arrival and you'll see all the arrivals and departures times for each airline so you can plan your day.

http://sunsetsxm.com/index.php/about-us/flight-schedules

Enjoy!

At the risk of being a "Fun Sponge" ....

By planning to do too much, you may not enjoy anything fully because you'll feel rushed to make time to do everything.

LuLu

No worries on being a fun sponge :).....any advice is appreciated. I don't have a good scale of the size of the island or traffic either, so your comments make sense.

It looks like Dreams on Nettle Bay is not too far from Marigot, but it also looks like Little Bay near Phillipsburg may be better for actually getting in the water or relaxing....

I definitely don't want to over plan, which I tend to do, but under planning bit me in the butt in Grand Turk this past February, so trying to find a balance....

Thanks!

Plan is workable - I would suggest renting a car (Coastal around $50, Avis a bit more) to avoid hassle and delays of busses/taxis. You would want to make reservation in advance.

I would suggest somewhat different order - Marigot first - look around coffee and pastries, then to Maho to see planes, then to Orient, Le Galion or Dawn Beach

(good spots for lunch at all three) and they are on the right side of the island for getting back to Phillipsburg without getting snared in afternoon traffic, hitting shopping in Phillipsburg at the end where you will be close to the ship.

Trying to hit all spots by bus or taxi would eat a lot of time and not save that much money.

Incoming large planes are usually around noon to one - with departures (if you want to get sand blasted by jet exhaust) probably around two to three ( which would put you in afternoon traffic). You can check flight schedules at SXM on line shortly before your cruise.

We would suggest leaving Marigot out of your plans. It is really out of the way (with the rest of your itinerary) and we have never understood why cruisers make a big deal out of that town. When we stay at a condo in Grand Case, and have our own car, Marigot is only about 15 min (or less) away. And yet, we seldom bother going over to Marigot unless its to eat (which is unusual since Grand Case has many of the best restaurants on the island).

Hank

Thanks everyone for the replies and help.....think we are going to pare down our plans.

Husband not keen on driving, so think we will just grab a taxi and go to Marigot first as suggested (may be touristy, but hey, we are tourists :D), then to Maho in time to see some of the larger planes come in (no interest in take offs or getting blasted), and then just spend some time on little bay or great bay before heading back to Phillipsburg shopping area and ship. Wow, I need a nap from just thinking all this through! Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for the replies and help.....think we are going to pare down our plans.

Husband not keen on driving, so think we will just grab a taxi and go to Marigot first as suggested (may be touristy, but hey, we are tourists :D), then to Maho in time to see some of the larger planes come in (no interest in take offs or getting blasted), and then just spend some time on little bay or great bay before heading back to Phillipsburg shopping area and ship. Wow, I need a nap from just thinking all this through! Thanks again!

Still don't know what you expect to see in Marigot. The only attraction I recommend there is Fort Louis, and you didn't mention that.

If it is for Sarafina's for French pastries, I recommend Taste Fatory, over on the Dutch side, by the bridge. Direct route between Maho and P'Burg.

If you plan on going into the water on your beach visit, then I would stick to Little Bay, but if it is just BEACH time, then Great Bay is fine for some sun and Beer/drinks.

gary

Still don't know what you expect to see in Marigot. The only attraction I recommend there is Fort Louis, and you didn't mention that.

If it is for Sarafina's for French pastries, I recommend Taste Fatory, over on the Dutch side, by the bridge. Direct route between Maho and P'Burg.

If you plan on going into the water on your beach visit, then I would stick to Little Bay, but if it is just BEACH time, then Great Bay is fine for some sun and Beer/drinks.

gary

Hi Gary, you have a lot of good suggestions, including Little Bay vs. Great Bay depending on our intentions.

In terms of seeing Marigot, our expectations are simply to see, hear, experience a part of the French Side, especially since we are in port for 11 hours, and have pared back our plans which have us pretty well on the Dutch side. From the pictures and reviews on Tripadvisor, Marigot looks interesting enough to do a bit of shopping or to have lunch....reviews seem overall positive, so unless I'm missing something it seems like a no-brainer (and hubby is a big fan of sweets, he'll have no trouble trying something from Sarafinas as well the Taste Factory...:)

In Marigot I love the views from the fort. Get the taxi driver to drop you nearest the last set of steps by the parking lot. It takes just 3-5 minutes to climb the steps up to the top from there.

Food wise I agree the taste factory is as good as Serafina's and if you are looking for an air conditioned cafe to cool off at its a great choice. If you are looking for an open aired French street bakery or cafe then Serafina's is the place to go.

I also like the Marigot Market especially on Wed and Sat when more artisans are there.

Marina Royale is also worth a visit. There are restaurants and boutiques to browse as well as boats to see.

I too would pick Little Bay over Great Bay if I wanted to go in the water.

In Marigot I love the views from the fort. Get the taxi driver to drop you nearest the last set of steps by the parking lot. It takes just 3-5 minutes to climb the steps up to the top from there.

Food wise I agree the taste factory is as good as Serafina's and if you are looking for an air conditioned cafe to cool off at its a great choice. If you are looking for an open aired French street bakery or cafe then Serafina's is the place to go.

I also like the Marigot Market especially on Wed and Sat when more artisans are there.

Marina Royale is also worth a visit. There are restaurants and boutiques to browse as well as boats to see.

I too would pick Little Bay over Great Bay if I wanted to go in the water.

Thanks so much for the reply and suggestions - will definitely keep them in mind! :)

I agree, this is a pretty ambitious schedule. I would prioritize what you really want to see and do this trip. We have been to the island three times, and still have not done everything theere is to do on the island.

For instance, if you really want to see Maho Beach, which we just did earlier this year, and it was great, you want to be there between 12pm and 2:00pm, when the larger planes, like the KLM, tend to land. That is going to affect what other sites you go see and things you do.

If you want to check out the beaches, make it a beach day for maybe half the day and then return and do some sightseeing and shopping.

If you become as addicted to cruising as many of us here on CC, you will definitely return to St. Maarten and have a chance to catch what you were not able to see this go around.

Have a great vacation!

I agree, this is a pretty ambitious schedule. I would prioritize what you really want to see and do this trip. We have been to the island three times, and still have not done everything theere is to do on the island.

For instance, if you really want to see Maho Beach, which we just did earlier this year, and it was great, you want to be there between 12pm and 2:00pm, when the larger planes, like the KLM, tend to land. That is going to affect what other sites you go see and things you do.

If you want to check out the beaches, make it a beach day for maybe half the day and then return and do some sightseeing and shopping.

If you become as addicted to cruising as many of us here on CC, you will definitely return to St. Maarten and have a chance to catch what you were not able to see this go around.

Have a great vacation!

Hi there....thanks for the reply and advice. I'm assuming you are referring to earlier/first post when I was trying to cram too much in. As it stands, we plan to visit Marigot first, probably have a bite to eat there, then head to Maho for a few hours, then end at Little Bay for a bit of beach time before heading back to Phillipsburg for a quick shopping trip and then back to the ship. Since we are in port from 7-6, even with travel time....this seems pretty manageable. And, yes, I became addicted to cruising 5 seconds after I walked onto my first cruise :D

WOW! That is still a packed day, at least not as full as your first itinerary. Glad to hear you will be at Maho a bit later in the day, hopefully you will get to see the KLM or Jet Blue plane(s) that land. It is such a rush!

ok...ok...ok....what am I missing:-? Assuming we dock at 7, spend 2-3 hours in Marigot, 2 hours at Maho, and another 2-3 lounging on the beach....even with travel time that just doesn't seem jammed or overly ambitious to me....feel like there's something I'm not factoring in(?). I know it takes time to get off the ship, take a cab, etc...we aren't seasoned cruisers, but it's not our first either....:confused:

You are not missing anything. I think you just like to do more than us on an island! :D We usually try and do one or two things, take it easy and relax, especially at beaches. This is totally reasonable given your timelines. Sorry to confuse!

No worries.....should have mentioned we are native New Yorkers:)

• 3 months later...
Were you able to get this all in? My gf and I are planning the same trip but will be back to the ship by 5. Was it too rushed?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Technically it worked - though I wouldn't recommend it nor do it again. Aside from a tasty pastry from Seraphinas (?) in Marigot, getting there by cab was a bit pricey and took a good half an hour - and we wound up talking another cab to Maho beach, which was quite crowded by the time we got there. Instead of taking another cab to a beach break and then another back to the ship we went from Maho back to the port area for souvenir shopping and back to the ship - it was very hot and humid that day and the cab drivers are not fans of AC.....so to summarize, spent quite a bit on cabs, and when we go next fall, we're opting for a beach break close to port. :)

Oh wow thank you for taking the time to get back to me. How was the cab to Marigot?

I think we were planning on Marigot, then cab to Mullet Bay, and then walking to Maho for planes finally taking a cab back to the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For what it's worth I know the island very well and I think that this sounds like a great way to spend a day on St. Maarten. :)

For what it's worth I know the island very well and I think that this sounds like a great way to spend a day on St. Maarten. :)

hi - on another thread w/ help, we think we will taxi to marigot 1st (8am disembark) for fort, market (wed), brunch/early lunch at marina. then taxi direct to little bay for water/beach, then walk or taxi to ship (3pm sail).

worried about traffic on way back. (5 ships in port). if we get to other side of maho by say noon-12:30 on way to little bay, are we missing most traffic or in thick of it? what would be latest time to get past maho so as not to spend "extraordinary" time in taxi/traffic? thanks for insight!