Why Normandy Beaches and/or Cemeteries?

gsrunyan

I was born in 1943, in the middle of WWII. My father made tanks and did not serve. Most of his friends who served are long dead.

Why do so many cruisers want to visit the Normandy beaches and/or the military cemeteries? My war was Viet Nam and so was my brother's.

I look forward to visiting cultural sites like Bayeux and the Bayeux tapestry. When in Paris, I have visited more than just the Louvre but the obscure Picasso museum or the military museum at Invalides.

So, why visit Normandy beaches?

Glenn:cool:

I was born in 1943, in the middle of WWII. My father made tanks and did not serve. Most of his friends who served are long dead.

Why do so many cruisers want to visit the Normandy beaches and/or the military cemeteries? My war was Viet Nam and so was my brother's.

I look forward to visiting cultural sites like Bayeux and the Bayeux tapestry. When in Paris, I have visited more than just the Louvre but the obscure Picasso museum or the military museum at Invalides.

You're joking, right? If you cannot understand/appreciate why Americans would want to pay respects to these heroes it is probably just as well you occupy yourself in other ways.

Dammit.

I've visited the American War museums in Saigon & the Cu Chi Tunnels and China Beach in Vietnam. And Gettysburg, Petersburg, Harpers Ferry and other American Civil War sights. And Little Bighorn - and I'm not even an American.

Concentration camps in Poland too, and I'm not even Jewish.

Worse

I've visited Yorktown & Boston, hardly glorious places for Brits.

I've also visited the WW1 Western Front in France/Belgium - more interesting than the Normandy landings, though presumably only to those of us over 120 years old.

Waterloo & Trafalgar too. And the Crimea and Gallipoli. And English Civil War sights.

I'd thought I'd found all these places interesting, educational & humbling.

But it seems I've wasted my life :rolleyes:

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

John Bull

You are obviously interested not only in history but also appreciate that some people have paid the ultimate price for defending their rights and/or making the world a better and safer place for others.

Maybe the OP is just too ignorant to be able to understand those things. I am glad my father wasn't having to depend on him when he was on the beaches of northern France during WW ll.

Simpleton answer. If it weren't for Normandy you'd probably be speaking German now. :roll eyes:

I guess you want an award for visiting the obscure Picasso museum.

Coming from a family of 4 generations of military (Grandfather - Army WWI / Father - Army Air Corps WW II / Husband - Army Vietnam era and Desert Storm / Son - Air Force) it was an honor to be able to visit Normandy and see this:

"Les Braves"

DSC08573_zpsvq8byx3v.jpg

American Cemetery

DSC08630_zpsic3ewejk.jpg

Pointe du Hoc - "Sword Beach"

DSC08682_zpsy1pfqrbu.jpg

Mulberry Harbor - Floating docks (constructed in England and floated across the Channel) where supplies and military hardware were brought ashore.

DSC08790_zpskyjxuo9i.jpg

All the guys at our table at lunch that day were Viet Nam era vets.

Simply for the History of what happened there. I was born in 1946 and my Father did serve during WWII. You clearly don't have the same calling that many of us do to honor the fallen.

I created a Pilgrimage of some of the places my Father had been (of sorts) when I went to Europe. I've been to Arnhem (A Bridge Too Far), Oosterbeek (Holland), Bastogne (Belgium), Maastricht (Holland), Luxembourg (Belgium where Patton is buried), Remagen (where the first US forces crossed into Germany), Dachau (Concentration Camp), Westerbork (Holland Concentration Camp), Anne Frank house in Amsterdam, Nuremburg (Germany), the Arizona Memorial (Honolulu Hawaii), & the WWII Korean War and Vietnam War Memorials or Arlington Cemetery & Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Washington DC. I had planned to visit the Normandy beaches, but the weather didn't comply so I cancelled the rental car.

When you stand and see white crosses as far as the eye can see or look at the ovens in Dachau or the hiding place of a young girl for 3 years or the oil still bubbling up from the Arizona, you DO feel the enormity of what happened in those places. They truly do HONOR those fallen heroes and will remain in my MEMORY FOREVER!

I am not believing what you just asked. I am sure your father would not either, if he were still alive. The men who lost their lives helped to stop the War! They are some of America's most famous heroes in history, in my opinion. I am proud to say that my father server in World War II and served under Patton in the war. I am proud of what he and all of those soldiers did, to save our generation and yours from the Evil of what Hitler and others did in that era.

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

My son went to visit Normandy last year. he was almost 18 at the time. He said it was a sobering experience. He went to the American cemetery and went to several graves and paid his respects. And for some of those graves of brave men, my son was probably the only visitor they have had.

History is history. Doesn't matter the era.

simply for the history of what happened there. I was born in 1946 and my father did serve during wwii. You clearly don't have the same calling that many of us do to honor the fallen.

I created a pilgrimage of some of the places my father had been (of sorts) when i went to europe. I've been to arnhem (a bridge too far), oosterbeek (holland), bastogne (belgium), maastricht (holland), luxembourg (belgium where patton is buried), remagen (where the first us forces crossed into germany), dachau (concentration camp), westerbork (holland concentration camp), anne frank house in amsterdam, nuremburg (germany), the arizona memorial (honolulu hawaii), & the wwii korean war and vietnam war memorials or arlington cemetery & tomb of the unknown soldier in washington dc. I had planned to visit the normandy beaches, but the weather didn't comply so i cancelled the rental car.

When you stand and see white crosses as far as the eye can see or look at the ovens in dachau or the hiding place of a young girl for 3 years or the oil still bubbling up from the arizona, you do feel the enormity of what happened in those places. They truly do honor those fallen heroes and will remain in my memory forever!

++++1

John Bull

You are obviously interested not only in history but also appreciate that some people have paid the ultimate price for defending their rights and/or making the world a better and safer place for others.

Maybe the OP is just too ignorant to be able to understand those things. I am glad my father wasn't having to depend on him when he was on the beaches of northern France during WW ll.

This is a wonderful post about the boys who paid the ultimate price for our freedom. Going there gave me the chills in a very good way. I was in awe walking on the beaches seeing what they were up against and then later at the national cemetery.

It is almost inconceivable to many Americans (unfortunately) that France was actually occupied by the Nzs. People who are not taught or forget or even ignore it make the free world a weaker place.

In defence of the OP, not everyone is that interested in war. And some find this aspect of history painful.

I didn't know how I would feel until I stepped on the beaches and visited the memorial and cemetery. I don't know anyone can feel anything but pride and admiration for those who fought for the free world against facism (and worse). I am certainly no war buff, but visiting the D Day sights and memorials would make most so proud to be Americans. We celebrate the Fourth of July and this is no different.

In defence of the OP, not everyone is that interested in war. And some find this aspect of history painful.

Can't help but remember the oft said phrase that those who ignore (or who turn a blind eye) to history are doomed to repeat it! The other thought is about the Three Monkeys with their hands over their eyes, mouth and ears. This philosophy did not work well for Mr. Chamberlain.

Hank

Hubofhockey

You are so right. Not only have we spent two excellent land holidays in Normandy, we frequently go to the north of France for the weekend. We have visited many museums and cemeteries from both world wars and I always find it very emotional.