JFK to Staten Island Hilton

I changed my cruise bud and she lives in CA. She has booked a nonstop flight to JFK for the day before the cruise. What are her best choices to get to the hotel in Staten Island? Since I will be at EWR I can get the hotel shuttle. She will arrive at JFK at 3:30 p.m.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

This is our first time to NY. We're taking the 'red-eye' on Jet Blue from California and arrive in NY at 0830a EST. We will be spending 2 nights at the hotel to rest & sight see before the cruise.

1) Which Hilton property is closest to the cruise terminal for Carnival?

2) What's the best way to get from the airport to the Hotel?

Thanks for any information you can provide

Warm regards,

~k

"Closest to the pier" is not a particularly useful concept in New York City, particularly if you want to sightsee. I googled Hilton Hotel New York and 21 properties in Manhattan came up. Basically you are looking for a hotel that is between 5th to 12th Avenue between West 23rd Street to West 57th Street. The pier is in the west 50's on 12th Ave.

Why don't you look at this and come back with questions.

http://www.hilton.com/top-destinations/new-york-city-hotels

To get into Manhattan you can either arrange a car service (try Dial7 or Carmellimo) or take a cab which is a fixed rate. I'm sure someone else will give you the breakdown of the fixed price cab cost including tips and tolls.

The fixed taxi fafre between JFK and Manhattan is $52.50 plus tip and tolls, to a total of $65-$70.

Since you'll probably take a taxi from the hotel to the port, I wouldn't worry about finding the closest property--as long as it's near a subway stop, you can get around easily. On google maps, they're indicated with blue Ms.

Decide what sights you want to see, plot them on a map to plan your time in a geographically logical fashion, pick a hotel near the subway.

There is a Homewood Suite hotel in Edgewater where they offer a shuttle to the water taxi to mid-town Manhattan. You call from the shuttle coming back and they will pick you up. The rates are about half what they are for a NYC hotel and I am wonering if anyone has stayed there and whether the inconvenience is worth it. This is our 4th trip to NYC so we are mainly interested in seeing the 9/11 Museum and perhaps a few other highlights on the HOHO bus prior to our cruise on the Exployer in October for three days. Trish

Edited by twopats

Folks have stayed at Homewood Suits in the past. They used to allow free parking while you were cruising, but they no longer do that.

If you're primarily interested in the 911 memorial, have you checked out the hotels at Newport in Jersey City? Candlewood Suites is $170+ tax prepaid, $200+ tax cancellable. It looks like you will be there on weekdays, so there will be Path service between Exchange Place and World Trade as well as ferries.

• 2 weeks later...
The hotel is the Hilton Garden Inn (next to the Hampton Inn). I don't know what I would have done without the advice I've found here. Thanks.

Hilton Garden in SI is a good hotel. You will be fine there. Only downside is that it's fairly isolated and not within walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc. What's in the hotel would really be your only option unless you rent a car.

First....let me SHOUT OUT, THANK YOU to all of you Cruise Critic members for the wealth of information you provide on these boards!!

For the first time ever, we're flying to New York. We plan on staying 2 days before our ship sails on May 4th. What both myself & DH didn't give much thought to, until recently, was "Where in the world do we stay for those 2 nights???"

Since I've been a 'Hilton Honors' member for 25+ years, I always like to stay at a Hilton property. And, like Carnival has acquired many other ships/names, Hilton has done the same, with Doubletree, Embassy Suites & Homewood Suites to list just a few of their properties that don't have the word 'Hilton' in their hotel name.

After doing a bit of research before the 'light went on' to check here FIRST, I had figured that anything around Times Square area, the 50th to 60th Aves, etc, was a decent location btwn JFK Airport and Carnival Cruise terminal. However, I'm sure not used to the NY prices!! We have stayed in 4 + 5 star hotels in San Francisco & Hawaii....but the prices aren't anything close to NY! So here's the GOOD news! Because I've been a Hilton Honors member for so many years, I've accumulated 225,000 'points' to be used for a variety of things. For a 2-night stay in SF, I might pay one night & use points the 2nd night. For our 2-night NY stay, instead of spending $450+ per night, I've booked with my points, at 70,000 points/night. So, for 140,000 'free' points, we have our room at the Hilton Garden Inn at Times Square! for 'free', other than taxes, etc!!

Beyond THRILLED to be leaving is just ONE wk and a couple of days! We're taking the 'red-eye-', leaving California at 11:50pm (or midnight) and arriving at JFK in New York at 8:30am. Now...if we can get the 'early check-in' we requested...that will be an awesome start to our vacation!! And if we don't get an early check-in, they will hold our luggage, and it will still be 'an awesome start to our vacation!!! However, laying down for a few hrs after that flight will 'do a body good'. I've had 2 knee replacements & ready for the third. No, I just have 2 legs, but the first knee replacement 'failed' after just 3 yrs, and I had a total Revision surgery in 2012. That leg is still healing. And my left leg is beyond Bone-on-Bone for all the compensating & extra work it's had to do to keep me walking with the 2 surgeries to my right leg. Getting Cortisone injections in the knee joint every 3 months to wait as long as I can stand it, though it HAS to be done by the end of the year. Maybe Dec 27th??

However, seems like when I'm on vacation, I just don't notice all my 'ailments' as much :) Most of it is because, I'M ON VACATION, and I CAN'T help solve any problems at work or at home....I feel totally and completely CARE-FREE! And, a few DODs seem to work MUCH better than pain medication :D

For those that like to read.....you probably didn't mind my 'conversation-style' email msg. For those that like 'just the facts, ma'am', my apologies. You probably didn't read it after all!

Again, much thanks for the info about hotels, etc. I really felt 'lost' when I typed in 'Hilton hotels in NY by cruise terminal' and 120 choices came up! However, I can 'check that off my list'. I think a little pre-cruise shopping is necessary, tho. Just a little bit. I honestly have plenty to choose from if I just cleaned out my closet.....but that just doesn't happen to be on my 'to-do' list!

Happiest of days to all of you awesome Cruise Critic friends~

~karen

Have a great trip. You will be happy with the location of the Hilton Garden Inn. Plenty of restaurants surrounding the area, and yo don't need any of the extra businessman's stuff that the big Hilton offers. If your leg is bothering you, take the HoHo bus. Been to S.F. and loved it!

First....let me SHOUT OUT, THANK YOU to all of you Cruise Critic members for the wealth of information you provide on these boards!!

For the first time ever, we're flying to New York. We plan on staying 2 days before our ship sails on May 4th. What both myself & DH didn't give much thought to, until recently, was "Where in the world do we stay for those 2 nights???"

Since I've been a 'Hilton Honors' member for 25+ years, I always like to stay at a Hilton property. And, like Carnival has acquired many other ships/names, Hilton has done the same, with Doubletree, Embassy Suites & Homewood Suites to list just a few of their properties that don't have the word 'Hilton' in their hotel name.

After doing a bit of research before the 'light went on' to check here FIRST, I had figured that anything around Times Square area, the 50th to 60th Aves, etc, was a decent location btwn JFK Airport and Carnival Cruise terminal. However, I'm sure not used to the NY prices!! We have stayed in 4 + 5 star hotels in San Francisco & Hawaii....but the prices aren't anything close to NY! So here's the GOOD news! Because I've been a Hilton Honors member for so many years, I've accumulated 225,000 'points' to be used for a variety of things. For a 2-night stay in SF, I might pay one night & use points the 2nd night. For our 2-night NY stay, instead of spending $450+ per night, I've booked with my points, at 70,000 points/night. So, for 140,000 'free' points, we have our room at the Hilton Garden Inn at Times Square! for 'free', other than taxes, etc!!

Beyond THRILLED to be leaving is just ONE wk and a couple of days! We're taking the 'red-eye-', leaving California at 11:50pm (or midnight) and arriving at JFK in New York at 8:30am. Now...if we can get the 'early check-in' we requested...that will be an awesome start to our vacation!! And if we don't get an early check-in, they will hold our luggage, and it will still be 'an awesome start to our vacation!!! However, laying down for a few hrs after that flight will 'do a body good'. I've had 2 knee replacements & ready for the third. No, I just have 2 legs, but the first knee replacement 'failed' after just 3 yrs, and I had a total Revision surgery in 2012. That leg is still healing. And my left leg is beyond Bone-on-Bone for all the compensating & extra work it's had to do to keep me walking with the 2 surgeries to my right leg. Getting Cortisone injections in the knee joint every 3 months to wait as long as I can stand it, though it HAS to be done by the end of the year. Maybe Dec 27th??

However, seems like when I'm on vacation, I just don't notice all my 'ailments' as much :) Most of it is because, I'M ON VACATION, and I CAN'T help solve any problems at work or at home....I feel totally and completely CARE-FREE! And, a few DODs seem to work MUCH better than pain medication :D

For those that like to read.....you probably didn't mind my 'conversation-style' email msg. For those that like 'just the facts, ma'am', my apologies. You probably didn't read it after all!

Again, much thanks for the info about hotels, etc. I really felt 'lost' when I typed in 'Hilton hotels in NY by cruise terminal' and 120 choices came up! However, I can 'check that off my list'. I think a little pre-cruise shopping is necessary, tho. Just a little bit. I honestly have plenty to choose from if I just cleaned out my closet.....but that just doesn't happen to be on my 'to-do' list!

Happiest of days to all of you awesome Cruise Critic friends~

~karen