Quality of Liquor on Royal Caribbean ?

Hi All

Posted something similar to this in the Quantum/Anthem sub forum but maybe too specific there

We're sailing Royal Caribbean for the first time this year, previously cruised with Celebrity and P&O.

We are taking the Premium Drinks package as I generally drink G&T's, Vodka Martini's and the odd cocktail/beer through the day along with a nice NZ Sauvignon Blanc with dinner.

Quality of drinks with Celebrity were exceptional and always offered premium brands as standard.

Just wondered do RCI serve top shelf alcohol in these drinks i.e. Grey Goose, Belvedere, Tanqueray, Hendricks etc especially in the Martini's or simple mixed drinks or do they serve "local" quality like the AI in the Caribbean resorts ?

Also do you have to request the particular brand in the Martini or G&T etc ?

Thanks

Edited by barneymag

In most cases, their "well" brand would be considered top shelf in a land based bar. Their true top shelf would rarely even be available in a land based bar. ie. single malts or cognac's that go for several $100 per shot

Great

So by the sound of it no problems getting my favourite brands - do the brands included in the premium drinks package ever change ? or is there a list of the included brands on the ship when you purchase the package - I have the select drinks package included in our deal but will upgrade on the ship so will they list the current brands included ??

Not trying to hijack the thread, but is there a recent list of brands available? I'm sailing on Freedom in a little over 6 weeks and am curious about the scotch, bourbon and tequila included in the drink package. Nice to hear JW plat is included though.

Great

So by the sound of it no problems getting my favourite brands - do the brands included in the premium drinks package ever change ? or is there a list of the included brands on the ship when you purchase the package - I have the select drinks package included in our deal but will upgrade on the ship so will they list the current brands included ??

Brands rarely change. There is a listing of most brands included in the back of moat drink menus onboard....I've found it doesn't list every single brand, but the most common it does. If yiu have specifics that aren't listed but you see on the shekf, just ask at the bar.

I am a Gin and Tonic guy and they definitely have Tanqueray, Tanq 10, and Hendricks and I was able to get them all on my last Premium package, but things may have shifted a bit. Grey Goose bloody marys were also covered.

There will still be some bottles you could call off the shelf that come at a premium, like Patrone and Stoli Elite, depending on how your bartender treats it (and how you treat your bartender). It was hit or miss if we got charged the upcharge, but I imagine now with the price increases upcharges may be more common...

Not trying to hijack the thread, but is there a recent list of brands available? I'm sailing on Freedom in a little over 6 weeks and am curious about the scotch, bourbon and tequila included in the drink package. Nice to hear JW plat is included though.

Might need to search for the JW Platinum , it was only in one bar on Navigator , all bards had JW black and Chivas regal along with other single malts

I am a Gin and Tonic guy and they definitely have Tanqueray, Tanq 10, and Hendricks and I was able to get them all on my last Premium package, but things may have shifted a bit. Grey Goose bloody marys were also covered.

There will still be some bottles you could call off the shelf that come at a premium, like Patrone and Stoli Elite, depending on how your bartender treats it (and how you treat your bartender). It was hit or miss if we got charged the upcharge, but I imagine now with the price increases upcharges may be more common...

Thanks Doug

Appreciate the feedback

Cheers (hic) as we say in the UK :)

Chivas is NOT a single malt. Ugh! Not trying to be snarky but Single Malts are woefully unrepresented on all mass market lines. How about some Oban, Lagavulin or Laphroaig? I'd pay the upcharge from Macallan 10.

In most cases, their "well" brand would be considered top shelf in a land based bar. Their true top shelf would rarely even be available in a land based bar. ie. single malts or cognac's that go for several $100 per shot

LOL, I guess it depends on what you consider top shelf, and/or what kind of bars you frequent at home. I assure you that what they use for their well brand vodka, rum etc. would NOT be considered top shelf in any half way respectable bar.

Hi All

Posted something similar to this in the Quantum/Anthem sub forum but maybe too specific there

We're sailing Royal Caribbean for the first time this year, previously cruised with Celebrity and P&O.

We are taking the Premium Drinks package as I generally drink G&T's, Vodka Martini's and the odd cocktail/beer through the day along with a nice NZ Sauvignon Blanc with dinner.

Quality of drinks with Celebrity were exceptional and always offered premium brands as standard.

Just wondered do RCI serve top shelf alcohol in these drinks i.e. Grey Goose, Belvedere, Tanqueray, Hendricks etc especially in the Martini's or simple mixed drinks or do they serve "local" quality like the AI in the Caribbean resorts ?

Also do you have to request the particular brand in the Martini or G&T etc ?

Thanks

While the brands RC offers may compare to Celebrity, the Quality of the bartenders do not. Nothing like a Martini at the Martini bar on Celebrity. We have been on Royal many times -love the line (except Quantum class) but the drinks while good aren't nearly as good as those prepared on Celebrity.

Edited by Cruise a holic