Let's pretend that money is no object...

pickeralk

(That would be nice, right?) If you were me, which ship/itinerary would you choose?

We are:

2 physically fit/active doting grandparents in their late 60s

2 physically fit/active parents in their late 30s who very much enjoy lounging in pools and having drinks delivered to us

One 5 year old boy who is fairly impressed by character meets, LOVES the pool/water play and would happily spend all his time doing that followed by arcade games and putt-putt

One 3 year old girl who is semi-impressed by character meets, isn't into the princessy stuff, and loves the same activities as her brother

We would need to cruise out of Florida, would prefer a 7-day, and would need connecting rooms (balcony not necessary).

Which 7-day itinerary would you recommend?

And most importantly, which ship??

Yeah, we don't need a lot of bells and whistles...but it would be nice, and I would love to really "WOW" the kids.

Thanks all for your time and input!

Given your criteria, itinerary first, followed by ship. All of the ships will meet your needs.

Right now I think only Fantasy and Wonder are doing the 7 days anyway (Magic may have some in 2016)...

My preference would be the Eastern or Southern Carib routes, with Southern winning out over the 2 for me. I think the ports are a tad more off the beaten path than Mexico and Jamaica

Only downside to southern is limited dates and no Castaway Cay, which with small children is a big miss. So for yours I would probably go Eastern.

The Fantasy is a bigger ship and has a few more bells and whistles than the Wonder and even the Re-imagined Magic.

I would choose a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy.

Lots of water features for the whole family (aquaduck, aqualab, kids pool, family pool, adult pool, wading pool and Satielite falls); It also has the mid ship dectective agency and a themed mini golf game. It's a big ship with lots to see and do - from one end to the other.

I personally prefer the smaller ships but then again, no one would ever describe me as "physically fit/active".

Another vote for Eastern. It provides and "extra" sea day over the Western, with additional on board activities as a result. The ports are easy to do and offer OK attractions.

The Dream and Fantasy are newer. Honestly, I like the Magic better (and yes, I've been on the bigger ship.) The new ships are more "high tech," but I don't think your kids are old enough for that to be a big deal yet. Midship Detective game is fun, but not worth choosing a ship for. New ships have 2 adult only restaurants, with Remy being the ultimate of upscale ($75 per person upcharge for dinner). Palo was too big and didn't have the more intimate feel that it does on the Magic. There is miniature golf on the Fantasy and a very nice adult area, Satellite Falls. Frankly, we saw the increased size as a detriment. There were TONS of unsupervised tweens. The dining rooms were noisier and more crowded. We had a great midship location, but otherwise just getting around could be something of a challenge. And we found the shows on the Fantasy to be sadly lacking.

On the positive, Captain Marco was on the Fantasy when we cruised. We'd met him on the Magic, and found him to be the most personable of the captains. The ship is gorgeous. The restrooms are something to be seen, even if you don't need to use them! Check out especially the one by the adult only restaurants--it could be in Versailles! Remy features a crystal mouse that we were told cost $60,000.

Magic--more intimate. We like the theatrical shows better as well as the Animator's Palate shows. OK, we have many "friends" on the crew, which does help our opinion. Magic underwent "re-imagination" in 2013, meaning fully cleaned, water slide added, public spaces totally re-done (not all improved IMHO). Frankly, some things were changed to resemble the Fantasy, making them less attractive. ALL of our current bookings are on the Magic. Do be aware that only some connecting cabins have removable balcony dividers, while in the new ships, I think they all do this. OH, Magic is the only ship with Marvel Academy in the Oceaneer's Club. This includes a display (in a plexiglass case) of one of the real costumes from the film as well as an interactive performance thing that kids and dads love!

I concur. Given the priorities and ages, I don't think there's a huge difference between the ships for a first cruise.

The Wonder is a little older and doesn't have some of the bells and whistles like the animated art scavenger hunt, the aqua duck, or the flashiest Animators palate, but the key features are all there.

When it comes to cruising, the ship you choose is only super important when you have lots of sea days, are looking for a specific feature, or will be skipping a lot of ports.

We also recommend the Fantasy, in your situation as you described it with young children and their parents.

On our most recent cruise with connecting cabins, the room attendant quickly opened the partition between the balconies at our request.

We also recommend the Fantasy, in your situation as you described it with young children and their parents.

On our most recent cruise with connecting cabins, the room attendant quickly opened the partition between the balconies at our request.

But you could have had this feature on the Magic as well, provided you had booked connecting cabins with this feature (they don't cost more, it is just that any dividers that serve a structural position couldn't be made removable, on the Fantasy, all are removable as far as I know).

But you could have had this feature on the Magic as well' date=' provided you had booked connecting cabins with this feature (they don't cost more, it is just that any dividers that serve a structural position couldn't be made removable, on the Fantasy, all are removable as far as I know).[/quote']

Actually, on the Fantasy, primarily on deck 10, there are some verandah dividers that cannot be opened. That's how it was on one of our verandahs, one side could open, the other not.

I know on the Magic none of the verandah dividers used to open (prior to re-imagining). Afterwards, there were dividers that could be opened. I'm not sure whether it was all dividers or just those between already connecting rooms.

Actually, on the Fantasy, primarily on deck 10, there are some verandah dividers that cannot be opened. That's how it was on one of our verandahs, one side could open, the other not.

I know on the Magic none of the verandah dividers used to open (prior to re-imagining). Afterwards, there were dividers that could be opened. I'm not sure whether it was all dividers or just those between already connecting rooms.

No, sorry for any misunderstanding. It is only between connecting cabins on the Magic. And it is not between all the connecting cabins.

Edited by moki'smommy

You are us with a few variations. We're doing 3 nights on property at the parks, then 4 nights on the Dream with our 2 adult children, their spouses and our 4 grands - ages 2, 5, 5 and 7 (birthday on the ship) this August.

We booked the day the sailing opened so we could have a balcony next to their ocean-view cabins which connect.

I think the "WOW" factor will be there for everyone regardless of age.

Happy planning!

Sorry, but there is no way that a 3 day WDW + 4 night cruise is comparable to a 7 night cruise. They are simply different sorts of vacations. Neither is better or worse, just very different.

The 3+4 is rather like a taste of each (parks/cruise), where the 7 night cruise is much more of a "cruise vacation." Personally, I'd opt for the cruise, but when we do the parks, we do more than 3 nights there. Also, the ports are far better on the longer cruises.

You made me smile! I think when he found out that the cost would be around $40,000 or so, that money doesn't matter statement would go right out the door!:eek:

If I had 40K I didn't know what to do with, I'd rent a private yacht and have them take me where I wanted to go:D

Another vote for the Eastern Carib on the Fantasy. We had the ocean view with the large (window seat) porthole and loved it. With DCL, the earlier you book, the "cheaper" it will be, unless you book last minute and not in high season. I'm sure you will all enjoy any of the ships!

(That would be nice, right?) If you were me, which ship/itinerary would you pick

Thanks all for your time and input!

We are in a somewhat similar situation but would prefer to leave from Miami which limits us to the Wonder for 4 or 5 nights. We have never been on Disney but have taken four family cruises on RCCL and Celebrity.

All of those ships were newer than the Wonder so we were wondering if we would find the Wonder to be dated? Our group would include four grandchildren, aged from 13 to 7.

We are in a somewhat similar situation but would prefer to leave from Miami which limits us to the Wonder for 4 or 5 nights. We have never been on Disney but have taken four family cruises on RCCL and Celebrity.

All of those ships were newer than the Wonder so we were wondering if we would find the Wonder to be dated? Our group would include four grandchildren, aged from 13 to 7.

If you look for them, then yes, more than likely you will find things that show her age. However, Disney does great job in maintaining their ships. "Dated" could also mean a more classic / traditional feeling. [emoji3]

If you look for them, then yes, more than likely you will find things that show her age. However, Disney does great job in maintaining their ships. "Dated" could also mean a more classic / traditional feeling. [emoji3]

I would not mind "dated" in a classic way. I would mind "dated" in worn carpets, stained furniture, worn bed linens, rust in the sinks, etc. (Our sofa on the Allure of the Seas which is a much newer ship was stained, a major turnoff!)

I would not mind "dated" in a classic way. I would mind "dated" in worn carpets, stained furniture, worn bed linens, rust in the sinks, etc. (Our sofa on the Allure of the Seas which is a much newer ship was stained, a major turnoff!)

Just realized the reality that a newer ship can have a torn sofa; An older ship can have a brand new sofa.

All the Disney ships are a classic style and won't look dated like the disco ball ships of other lines. They also maintain their ships all the time.

I have read of some bathrooms looking a little worse for the wear but I haven't seen it.