walk from Boston Port of Call

dancer719

City of Boston is not a huge city and the cruise terminal is not far out but you would be wise to do as Cruiser Bruce recommends and take the "T"..... short for MBTA which is our public transportation system.

Edited by sail7seas

We have walked between the Black Falcon Terminal and the main tourist area in about 45 minutes. Our main motivation was to stop at James Hook to have some great fresh lobster. Hook is a major lobster dealer that also has a few tables inside and picnic tables outside. Since they are a large lobster dealer they have lobster tanks filled with lobsters of all sizes...and they also make a great lobster roll.

Hank

We have walked between the Black Falcon Terminal and the main tourist area in about 45 minutes. Our main motivation was to stop at James Hook to have some great fresh lobster. Hook is a major lobster dealer that also has a few tables inside and picnic tables outside. Since they are a large lobster dealer they have lobster tanks filled with lobsters of all sizes...and they also make a great lobster roll.

Hank

What is the main tourist area of Boston? :confused:

Fanueil Hall ?

North End ?

JFK Library ?

Newbury Street ?

Boston Public Gardens?

Copley Place ?

Fenway Park ?

Freedom Trail ?

USS Constitution ?

Bunker Hill Monument ?

Paul Revere House ?

Aquarium ?

Science Museum ?

Isabella Steward Gardner Museum ?

Fine Arts ?

etc

etc

Boston is a very historic city with so much to see and do from one end to the other. Would you share what you call the 'main tourist area'? I've lived in Boston all my life and cannot imagine where you mean.

Thanks.

Edited by sail7seas

LOL. Was talking about Fanueil Hall area Quincy Market. But my point was that it is possible to walk just about anywhere in that area from the port, but you should be somebody who loves to walk a few miles.

Hank

Thank you all for your comments. maybe interested in the JFK museum, Aquarium or Freedom Trail. We do walk and exercise.

If you choose to visit the JFK Library, within the last few years a new museum dedicated to his brother, Senator Edward Kennedy, opened nearby. There is an exact replica of the Senate Chamber which some find very interesting to view.

It depends where you are walking to in Boston. Boston is a big city.

Keith

Actually, in comparison to many other cities, Boston is not a 'large' city. There are so many interesting sights, so much history, so much culture, colleges, fine hospitals etc but in terms of square miles, Boston is very walkable for those with no mobility issues. Just about anywhere you are in the city there is something of interest. :)

Just tonight I went with friends to see renowned Conductor, Keith Lockhart (Maestro of Boston Pops) and it was a great evening. He put on a wonderful show with five musicians from the Boston Pops.

Edited by sail7seas

You can catch a bus across from the terminal that takes you to the subway to the center of town. Save your energy for the walk around the city. Follow the old freedom trail. The fare is inexpensive . I've done this twice and the bus was never crowded and came quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Thank you all for your comments. maybe interested in the JFK museum, Aquarium or Freedom Trail. We do walk and exercise.

Boston is a walking city. The tourist folks have identified two trails that you should consider to get the maximum value out of your time in the city. IMO there's no point in getting off the ship and just walking for the sake of walking.

1). Freedom Trail - Boston Common to Charlestown (Constitution/Bunker Hill) - http://www.thefreedomtrail.org and http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/pdfs/NPS%20BOST%20Map%20Jan%202013.pdf

2) Harborwalk - Search Boston harborwalk map -

To maximize your time my suggestion would be to take the Silver Line bus in front of the terminal to South Station ($2.65/pp) and do the free transfer to the Red Line direction Alewife to go two stops to Park St, which is the beginning of the Freedom Trail.

If you walk the Freedom trail all the way to Charlestown, I would take the MBTA water taxi from the Constitution to Long Wharf ($3.25) to get a nice mini cruise in the harbor. From Long Wharf you can follow the Harborwalk route back to the cruise terminal. If you are pressed for time, you can grab a cab any point to get back.

You can walk to the JFK museum on the Harborwalk, but I would save that for a return visit because of its out of the way and less interesting location.

Ok, lets put it a different way. Just about everywhere you would want to go (based on your post) is within a 2 mile radius of the Black Falcon Terminal. Since you will be walking through a Metropolitan area with traffic and lights it is a bit slow going which is why it took us about 45 min to Quincy Market. A good walker will generally walk about 3 miles an hour. When I exercise (I like to walk about 9-10 miles a day) my pace is about 16:30 per mile which is pretty normal for fast exercise walkers. If I want to really hustle I can get it down to about 15 min per mile, but this pace is a bit fast for most folks just out for fun. :)

Also consider that if you are walking about 4 miles round trip, and then a few more miles while you do the Freedom Trail, browse Quincy Market, etc. you are probably talking about 6-7 miles (or even more) during the day. That is very doable for those who walk well and exercise, but a bit far for "armchair walkers" who suddenly decide they are "athletes for a day." I should add that DW, who has had a total knee replacement can easily handle a 10 mile walking day. But we have friends in perfect health who would probably collapse after 2 miles :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

It is not one of the better aquariums around. Right near the the aquarium, they run Boston Harbor Cruises and they run a great whale watch cruise. If you want to walk, my two favorite walks are the Harbor Walk from Long Wharf to the North End or walking through the Boston Common to the Public Garden.

Have a great time. As a local, I love the city. Great to see that you're not high on the tourist traps.