Did 1960 aircraft have overhead bins?

Bowie MeMe

watching the movie "Saving Mr Banks", there is a scene where Mrs. Travers is traveling on a plane and she is putting her luggage in an overhead bin. My DH and I remember having to put our little suitcase (square makeup case for me) under the seat in front. When did overhead bins start?

Another thing they did not show but that I remember is the ash tray in the arm of the seat and little cloth curtains at the window. The stewardesses were women and usually very pleasant on the eyes.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

watching the movie "Saving Mr Banks", there is a scene where Mrs. Travers is traveling on a plane and she is putting her luggage in an overhead bin. My DH and I remember having to put our little suitcase (square makeup case for me) under the seat in front. When did overhead bins start?

Another thing they did not show but that I remember is the ash tray in the arm of the seat and little cloth curtains at the window. The stewardesses were women and usually very pleasant on the eyes.

There were overhead bins (at least on the commercial flights I took starting in the late 1950's) but they were small..and also remember the ash trays and curtains and yes the "stewardesses" were all women of a certain height, weight and look in their classic uniforms (loved those hats).

There weren't "bins", but rather there was a shelf where you put your outer coat and hat (when men wore hats!). Bins came in roughly with the 747/DC10/L1011, which had a much different fuselage cross-section than the 707/DC8, so they implemented the bins.

As a small aside, the original layout for the Tri-Star was 2-4-2, but they put in a small divider in the middle of the 4. It had a space in the middle, with hooks where you could hang your coat. When they went to 2-5-2, out went those mini-closets.

For a selection of photos of cabin interiors from the 1960s, try this page.

In particular, this image from the late 1960s has the caption:-

G-ARV* Anticipating the imminent arrival of the widebody jets, around 1968 BOAC installed overhead lockers on their VC10 and 707 fleets. The colourful environment compares well to today's blizzard-white airliner interiors. Passengers enjoyed the luxury of individual adjustable air vents, no doubt to help blow away the cigarette smoke of their fellow travellers. The cabin crew's uniforms hark back to a time when even flying economy was glamorous. A hushed cabin resulted from the rear mounted R-R Conways.
And this image from 1965 of a Canadair CL-44J has the caption:-
TF-LL* Interior of the CL-44J used by Loftleidir on transatlantic flights. This was the first airliner to have closed overhead bins.

Thanks Globalizer,

I particularly like this one with front and rear facing seats and a table in between. I have done this on trains many times but didn't know that it existed on planes too.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/British-European-Airways/Vickers-953-Vanguard/2165057/L/

I used to work for BA as a marketer visiting TA's. Wore the same garb as the FA's. We had a 30 page booklet on appearance which covered everything from approved lipstick and nail polish colors to size of our pearl stud earrings. Hem length, heel height, hose color and approved hairdos (I did the above shoulder length with big flip curl). It did make for a certain very glamorous look.

I took my older children on planes from ORD to DCA to visit grandparents and there was a built-in booth table in the back of the plane (either EAL, United or maybe American) that I would get where the children happily sat with coloring books, etc. for the length of the flight. This was from 1962 to 1969.

The movie claimed it was 1961 but I think the plane might have been a little more 1971. Anyway thanks for the information -- it was fun. Memories of dressing up much more than we do today for ordinary things like flying:D A flight was such a big thing back then and most people could only imagine it because the masses did not fly like they do today.

We were not allowed to put anything heavy on that shelf. There was plenty of room for coats and hats.

Yes, we did dress for travel in those days with most of the women still wearing dresses, skirted suits with hat and white gloves in summer. My hair do required pin curls and hair spray.

I can remember when flight attendants passed out packs of cigarettes and playing cards. Many adults smoked in those days. I still own my train case that I used for make up. Checked baggage was weighed and you paid dearly for overweight baggage.

Suitcases were heavy empty!

I particularly like this one with front and rear facing seats and a table in between. I have done this on trains many times but didn't know that it existed on planes too.
It was not that uncommon on aircraft. Southwest had these until quite recently. Perhaps more notably:-

fdy8hg.jpg

Yes, but no big table in between. Leg room, as you can imagine, could be pretty tight.

It was not that uncommon on aircraft. Southwest had these until quite recently. Perhaps more notably:-

This is what WN's configuration looked like though I thought it was only for rows 1 & 2 and not the emergency exit:

0408836.jpg

Edited by cruising cockroach

The overhead racks were just that, parcel racks like what you might see on todays commuter trains and buses. I recall the ones on Mohawk and Allegheny didn't have doors, just a small lip to keep items from sliding out.

It's been some 40 years since I last flew on one but early and unrefurbished 707s had no overhead bins as the photo below of an Iranian a/c (still operational?) illustrates.
Is there anywhere that Sam Chui hasn't been? :D

As the caption to that photo says, Saha Air suspended all flights in 2013. The rumour that the aircraft was to be converted for use by the Iranian Air Force seems to have been true. The aircraft was seen flying for the Air Force in March 2014, so is likely still to be in operation now, although I can't immediately see whether she's still in passenger configuration.

As the caption to that photo says, Saha Air suspended all flights in 2013. The rumour that the aircraft was to be converted for use by the Iranian Air Force seems to have been true..

Dashes the hopes of anyone who has never flown on a 707 and wanted to.....

There weren't "bins", but rather there was a shelf where you put your outer coat and hat (when men wore hats!). Bins came in roughly with the 747/DC10/L1011, which had a much different fuselage cross-section than the 707/DC8, so they implemented the bins.

As a small aside, the original layout for the Tri-Star was 2-4-2, but they put in a small divider in the middle of the 4. It had a space in the middle, with hooks where you could hang your coat. When they went to 2-5-2, out went those mini-closets.

I was hired as a flight attendant in 1978. Delta had a few original Tristars with the hanging coat divider. We loved it. It was about 40 less passengers. The service after the addition of more seats just never seemed to work. Still was a great aircraft as far as passenger and crew comfort with that wide body and the lower level galley.

As for the open overhead bins, the "Baby Eight" and the early DC-9 were in service in the late 70's. We made announcements with instructions for only "soft goods such as hats" were to be placed in the overhead.

The "Baby Eight" had the first class lounge area with tables, etc. It was not fun to work. Things were spread out all over the place. In coach, the call lights were on the back of the seat in front of the passenger. It was not easy see for flight attendants.

The "Baby Eight" had lots of places to store items that could not be accommodated--the DC-9 had no extra places. I don't recall really struggling with this issue. Most people must have checked their bags.

Thanks for stimulating the memories.

I was hired as a flight attendant in 1978. Delta had a few original Tristars with the hanging coat divider. We loved it. It was about 40 less passengers. The service after the addition of more seats just never seemed to work. Still was a great aircraft as far as passenger and crew comfort with that wide body and the lower level galley.

As for the open overhead bins, the "Baby Eight" and the early DC-9 were in service in the late 70's. We made announcements with instructions for only "soft goods such as hats" were to be placed in the overhead.

The "Baby Eight" had the first class lounge area with tables, etc. It was not fun to work. Things were spread out all over the place. In coach, the call lights were on the back of the seat in front of the passenger. It was not easy see for flight attendants.

The "Baby Eight" had lots of places to store items that could not be accommodated--the DC-9 had no extra places. I don't recall really struggling with this issue. Most people must have checked their bags.

Thanks for stimulating the memories.

Great post!

My father traveled a lot in the 60's and 70's for work, and I remember his suitcase had a briefcase side for his work materials and a suitcase side for his clothing and grooming items. He would go for three days with that bag, wearing the same suit and only changing shirt and tie each day. So two clean shirts and changes of underwear, two ties, shave kit, and that was about it. The whole thing measured about 16 x 12 x 7 and easily fit under the seat in front of him.

One thing I've noticed is the amount of space my electronics takes in my carry on. I only travel with an iPad and share that charger with my iPhone, plus a car charger, GPS, power splitter for the car, and pocket sized P & S camera (need for job). All that combined makes for a gallon sized bag of cables, cords, and electronics, and doesn't include the actual phone and tablet. Back in the 80's those items would have been my Walkman and a few cassettes, a small camera, a Rand-McNally Atlas, a legal pad, and a calling card for phone calls.

Edited by ducklite

Wow, thanks for that. My first flight ever was a Tri-Star L-1011, even got "wings" from the check in agent.

Thanks for the memories.

I loved the Tristar and particularly enjoyed working the lower galley. The airplane flew a little nose high because the airlines reduced the cruise speed for fuel savings. So, the carts could be a bit of a struggle to get up the aisle to the front of the cabin.

Besides souvenir wings, we gave out tiny little white plastic Tristar models. Always had to order extra from cabin service when headed to Orlando. Could give out as many as 75 to 100 on a flight to Orlando during the holidays.

Fun for me to challenge my memory a little.

Great post!

My father traveled a lot in the 60's and 70's for work, and I remember his suitcase had a briefcase side for his work materials and a suitcase side for his clothing and grooming items. He would go for three days with that bag, wearing the same suit and only changing shirt and tie each day. So two clean shirts and changes of underwear, two ties, shave kit, and that was about it. The whole thing measured about 16 x 12 x 7 and easily fit under the seat in front of him.

One thing I've noticed is the amount of space my electronics takes in my carry on. I only travel with an iPad and share that charger with my iPhone, plus a car charger, GPS, power splitter for the car, and pocket sized P & S camera (need for job). All that combined makes for a gallon sized bag of cables, cords, and electronics, and doesn't include the actual phone and tablet. Back in the 80's those items would have been my Walkman and a few cassettes, a small camera, a Rand-McNally Atlas, a legal pad, and a calling card for phone calls.

I am just as guilty about electronics, etc. It does seem we have more "stuff" these days.

Edited by SkystheLimit
spelling

fdy8hg.jpg

That's Queen Elizabeth, isn't it? Cool pic!

Does anyone else remember when the airlines provided little bars of individually-wrapped soap in the bathrooms? And the wrappers had the airline logo on them?

That's Queen Elizabeth, isn't it? Cool pic!

Does anyone else remember when the airlines provided little bars of individually-wrapped soap in the bathrooms? And the wrappers had the airline logo on them?

Yes, I remember the soaps. Our youngest son( about 7 at the time)had a soap hoarding problem. Every time he came out the lavatory his pockets were bulging with soap bars. Of course, that was on top of the deck of cards, toy airplane, and wings. We told him he had to put the soap bars back. His argument was that wouldn't fit back in the dispenser. Have no idea what the fascination with the soap bars was.

Everything was branded. Delta had decks of card with travel images of the major cities they flew to at the time. Miami was a favorite.

I'd imagine it would have to be the "queen" of British-made a/c. VC-10 perhaps?
Close. Very small windows (if you look carefully at the picture to see the windows themselves, rather than the window apertures in the cabin sidewall).